Very surprising precision in this straightedge

Review by Twigger posted 05-16-2010 05:17 AM 4495 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
Very surprising precision in this straightedge No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this before I started woodworking to do carpentry like circular sawing the full length of a piece of plywood. So when I bought a jointer, I wanted to use it to check for coplanar. But of course the precision of this inexpensive straightedge found at a big box store was very questionable.

But using the technique found at http://lumberjocks.com/topics/16233
I checked it out. In particular, I scribed a line using a knife blade, flipped it, and scribed a second line hoping to match the first. And it was right on!

For the purposes of setting up the jointer, I was using only one of the two 50” pieces. But I used both pieces to do a second check. I put the two pieces face to face and checked for any gap between them using feeler gauges. The biggest gap was 0.0015”!

Maybe I just got lucky in this particular unit because it is not marketed as a precision strightedge. Nothing of the sort is presnted in the packaging or specifications.

Such a deal at $20. And I’ve got two 50” precision straight edges. Hard to believe, isn’t it.

-- When can we go fishing, err woodworking?!

View Twigger's profile

Twigger

1 comment so far

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

#1 posted 05-16-2010 04:14 PM

To check the strait edge you also need to put it on a surface plate- a 50 inch surface plate and run an indicator over it to check for flatness. If the flatness is out by more than .002 the strait edge will not be accurate enough to properly set jointer table. The woodwisper just presented a 20 minute video on tuning up the jointer within the last week or two on the lumber jocks site. Marc did an excellent job explaining this proceedure.

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.