Laguna LT 18 3000

Review by mfm posted 1536 days ago 5592 views 0 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Laguna LT 18 3000 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this saw in 01\10. Heavy brute to move into the shop. Set up was straight forward even if no manual was supplied. There is now a very good video on the Laguna website that provides some helpful setup tips. The factory settings proved to be right on with little or no adjustment.The saw runs quietly with no vibration. The start capacitor failed after about two hours. I received instant attention from the Laguna service people, but someone forgot to mail the part! Arrived today 05/13/10 after this embarrassing admission. Meanwhile the saw operates fine with a capacitor purchased from the local electric motor service. The picture provided are some boxes made with my old bandsaw. DKS

-- Keith, Surrey BC Canada

View mfm's profile

mfm

233 posts in 1943 days

i don’t get the reviews on this site and I am starting to think that it is a way for the purchaser to justify their buy rather than give an honest review. This is the third review of the product and everyone gave it 5 stars but everyone of them had some sort of problem with the purchase. 5 stars should be reserved for a plug and play machine not some hassle. I think I am going to stop looking at the reviews on lumberjocks because I don’t want these phoney reviews to influence my decision when it comes time to buy a tool.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

I have to agree with skeeter. how can this be a 5 star rating if:
1. manual wasn’t supplied
2. capacitor died within 2 hours
3. mfg took 5 months to send replacement
I can see it being 4 stars… but 5 stars to me would mean far and beyond any expectations, no trouble, a dream to use.

Other than that – I say these reviews (mine included) are nothing more than a personal experience and judgement, and should be taken with a grain of salt. read it and take whatever you can from it.

all that aside – glad you are getting good performance from the BS. Laguna’s BS are indeed good machines, prob. their flagship units. now if they could only catch up with that with the rest of their stuff :)

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

word

View CryptKeeper's profile

CryptKeeper

I would have a hard time giving this product a 5 star but I have reviewed two other products that I have given 5 stars even with minor problems.

The first was the PM2800 the only things I disliked about the machine is the wing support brackets are made of plastic and the table does not tilt to the front (I made a comparison to a machine Delta offered that is no longer in production). Neither of these affect the performance of the machine but do they warrant a 4 star over a 5 star?

The second review was for a Jet jointer that was damaged in shipping due to a lack of adequate packing material around the stand. Again, this did not affect the performance of the machine and I pointed out that the buyer should inspect the unit before purchasing. Does that warrant a 4 star over a 5 star? On this one, I personally think I should get a 1 star for not opening the box at the store. Just for grins this morning I called the store and they offered to replace the stand.

To me the star rating system is the author’s opinion of the product not the reader’s interpretation of the review. Reviews in general aren’t intended to make your decision only to give you the author’s experience. As a newbie to LJ any guidance you care to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-- Ron - Any day that I don't learn something new is a wasted day.

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

I was a bit surprised to see the high rating myself and came in to see if Laguna was finally on the road towards improvement.

Once again, I was not surprised to see the shoddy customer support and product that is not given proper quality control. Laguna is still a NO BUY on my list…and I recommend that all perspective tool buyers avoid them or buy with extreme caution.

As a suggestion to Martin, as his time permits, it would be nice to see either a vote widget to let others input on the rating – or a multiple rating system where the customer support, product, assembly and whatever other rating items can be considered.

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

112000 posts in 2179 days

Lets back up a little

First welcome to Ljs mfm
We really are more friendly than this normally. I have issues with Laguna so I won’t go there.
I for one feel each individual has the right to rate the tool or item they review any way they want.

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

Also, sometimes it might be better just to read the review and ignore the number of stars.

-- -- Neil

View RedShirt013's profile

RedShirt013

While you have the camera out snapping pictures of the boxes maybe next time you can snap a pic of your shop’s bandsaw.

-- Ed

View mfm's profile

mfm

Ok guys, I agree that a five star rating was too high. I simply did not assign a rating, but would give 4 for the performance of the saw and 2 for the service. Stuff happens and while the motor breakdown was a nuisance you do what you can to work around it. Laguna came through in the end, and the owner called me himself when I notfied them of the problem. Keep smiling,
DKS

-- Keith, Surrey BC Canada

View CreekWoodworker's profile

CreekWoodworker

409 posts in 1900 days

Absolutely beautiful bandsaw boxes! You should post them in your projects. I’d like to see more pictures of them.

-- Mike ...Success is often the result of taking a misstep in the right direction

View CryptKeeper's profile

CryptKeeper

I agree with the CreekWoodworker, I would love to see more of your bandsaw boxes – they look fantastic.

-- Ron - Any day that I don't learn something new is a wasted day.

233 posts in 1943 days

sorry i was hasty. i didn’t see it was your first post. but we are all honest here even though some of us are brutally so (cough cough).

View OutPutter's profile

OutPutter

I’ve seen reviews that lament the fact that something is completly unsuitable for what it is intened and the reviewer gave it 3 or 4 stars. Unsuitable should be a 1 but only because you have to put something in or it won’t post.

-- Jim

View Gary2's profile

Gary2

I recently ordered and received a Laguna 18” BS. Great sales and service. The upper door on the unit arrived with a small, but very deep, ding which obviously did not occur in shipping. I sent pictures and in conversations was told this was the third timde they had seen this problem and shortly received a new door as replacement. I have absolutely no complaints about Laguna and love the saw. In the last few days I have resawed an piece of 12/4×15” magogany into 1.5” slabs. The motor did not even notice I was resawing at virtual maximum for the saw. I then helped a friend with some elm and walnut, again the saw accomplished the cuts with no complaints. WOW. The only issues are operator related and are minor.

View elrond3737's profile

elrond3737

Mail order companies (Griz, Laguna, Felder, Others) all depend on their Customer Service. Jet, Delta, PM, Rigid, Craftsman, and so don’t get bad reviews, as much, on these boards in reguards to Customer Service because you usually go through a tool store (acme, toolking, ace hardaware, Home depot, so-on). The mail orders have the pressure of designing, making, selling, fixing, and so on. I think that is why we see so many issues posted about the mail orders…o.k. minimax and Felder don’t but then their products are awesome and expensive and there are not many out there.

The interesting part is when you read these posts that in the end the company (Griz, laguna) usaually make it right. On another board I saw a post where I guy bought a machine from Griz, had it returned, got another and returned it, got another and returned it. All for defects. It took a month or two and emailing the President of Griz a few times to get it right but it was all fixed in the end…they guy bought a Hammer Combo.

In the end it scares the snot out of me. As I am setting up my production shop i need both quality and to save money. I see the mail orders having better products and prices then the store stuff. But the store stuff can be easily tested(before you buy), and fixed as they are right down the street. I want Laguna or Grizzly Band Saw sold through my local hardware/tool store. And the shop fox line is not as extensive as Griz(I know they are the same).