You Get What You Paid For

Review by mrg posted 05-13-2010 10:23 PM 2037 views 0 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
You Get What You Paid For No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Sorry to say that this little sander only gets a two star rating. I have had this sander less than a year and the bearing under the sanding plate has froze. It had such potential.

Cons
The loading of sandpaper is not that great. But once you get the paper aligned and under the holders its OK.

Loud

Dust control not great and shop vac couldn’t be connected to the port.

The sander has been used maybe 6 times. The past two days it was being used to sand the planter boxes and benches I built out of cedar. The sander started to scream, blew it out with air and got quiet again for a bit. It started screaming again so I disassembled the plate and found the bearing is dry, lubed and worked a bit and got loud again. Took apart again and the bearing is locked on the shaft. It can be greased but to get the cover back on the back of the bearing is going to be close to impossible.

Pros
I liked the fact that you could use any 1/4 sheet on it. Comes with the paper punch that you just place the sander on top of it and poke the holes.

Light weight, didn’t vibrate to bad until the bearing went.

I bought a new Dewalt at Home Depot last night and the manager told me to bring the Ryobi back for a refund or credit because the sander has a 3 year warranty on it..

-- mrg

View mrg's profile

mrg

5387 posts in 1983 days

#1 posted 05-13-2010 10:48 PM

I have had that same sander for a couple of years now, and have had very good luck with it. Far better than the Makita it replaced…

FWIW, I mostly agree with your pro / con assesment. Mine has held up a LOT better than yours, but…

The dust collection on this at least exists. Yes you need to use an adapter to make it fit, but at least it is there.
It is loud, but nowhere near as loud as the Makita, or Skil sanders I have been around previously…
And I am not sure what you mean by the loading of the sandpaper. I found mine to be exceedingly easy to use… Simply quarter a sheet of sandpaper, line it up in the front jaw lock it down, wrap around the rear jaw lock it down, the set the thing on the hole punch gizmo to make your dust collection holes, hook your DC hose up, plug it in, turn it on and sand away…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#2 posted 05-13-2010 10:54 PM

From my experience with Ryobi (as of 2002) they are made for the occasional homeowner, and NOT up to par for the hobbyist, and definitely not for the professional (they just don’t last, and not powerful enough).

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Ole's profile

Ole

#3 posted 05-13-2010 11:31 PM

The springy levers that hold the sandpaper just broke off on mine while I was using it…

View David Craig's profile

David Craig

#4 posted 05-14-2010 12:47 AM

Sorry about your misfortune with the sander, though it sounds like you ran into a good manager at the depot so the investment isn’t one you will kick yourself on down the road. I have an old version of the same sander, I have had it for over ten years. It had been through a lot and now it is my loaner sander. Good luck with the Dewalt and I hope it serves you well.

David

-- There is little that is simple when it comes to making a simple box.

#5 posted 05-14-2010 12:51 AM

Too bad It’s best to spend a little more and get a better tool if you budget will allow. If you don’t have one a random orbital sander works much better than a pad sander.

View ZeroThreeQuarter's profile

ZeroThreeQuarter

#6 posted 05-14-2010 01:37 AM

“It had such potential.” the question begs being asked… Did it really have that potential?

I haven’t had much good experience with Ryobi stuff myself, therefor i tend to avoid it. Based on experience, it’s just not built for much more then an occasional use here and there.. I’d much rather go a little while without a tool in an effort to save money for an actual name brand one. Sometimes it feels kind of hard to do, but in the end it seems to be worth it.

-- Your mind, much like a parachute, works best when open.

View Steven H's profile

Steven H

#7 posted 05-14-2010 03:47 AM

Their tools are targeted to home owners. I took apart my ryobi router, circular saw and can tell it will not last long.

View dan abalos's profile

dan abalos

#8 posted 05-14-2010 04:57 AM

Wow that’s the one I have now. I used to have a Bosch, well I still have it but it don’t work no more, and so far it’s still working. Been about a half a year now and no probs but they’ll come I’m sure. Is there a real good palm sander out there under $100? Great review and good luck with the dewalt.
Dan

-- Beer is the reason I exist on this earth, that and my family! (Aurora, IL) my blog: http://justanaveragedad.wordpress.com/

View StephenSC's profile

StephenSC

#9 posted 05-14-2010 05:55 AM

Porter Cable makes a great 1/4 sheet sander for about $100 at many mail orders. No dust collection but extremely good at sanding. A lot less vibration on the hand than others. I also have the stubby PC random orbit sander and am very pleased with it, but it is about $130.

-- Stephen, Riverside. If it's worth building, it's worth making it real heavy.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#10 posted 05-14-2010 01:24 PM

I once was part of a panel that compared and tested certain tools, including palm sanders. I used 9 different sanders with the names removed. They were identified by letter codes. I say this to say that I was shocked at how different each sander felt and performed. Previously I had thought that all palm sanders were pretty much alike. I recall a couple of sanders that just felt right and performed very well. Unfortunately I don’t know what brand they were.

It’s too we can’t all test out these tools before buying.

View woodsmithshop's profile

woodsmithshop

#11 posted 05-14-2010 04:40 PM

I quit buying Ryobi years ago, because very few of their tools hold up well.

-- Smitty!!!

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

4806 posts in 1925 days

#12 posted 05-14-2010 04:46 PM

I quit buying Ryobi years ago, because very few of their tools hold up well.

See, now MY experience is different.

My Ryobi tools held up just FINE … until I started using them….. ;-)

-- -- Neil

View mrg's profile

mrg

#13 posted 05-14-2010 05:02 PM

I bought the Ryobi sander before I gotten the wood working bug. I have the cordless 18v drill and impact driver which I am pleased with because I don’t use them all day everyday. My wife had gotten me a 7 /12 circular saw used it to build my 8 foot desk in my office think its a bit heavy and unbalanced but did what it needed to do. Have a 10” table saw 1980- 90’s vintage my father had and made some real nice things on and given me that now sits in the corner, not accurate at all replaced it with a Delta 34-410 contractors saw.

I try to buy the best I can afford and research the heck out of everything. The sander was just bought because i needed a sander to sand some things down and it fit the bill at the time. Cost wasn’t a factor with the sander, I guess if I had known that i was going to be doing sanding the way i have been i would have gone with a different sander then. Logic was that its a sander what goes wring with them? Father has a old black and decker that I remember as a kid and it still works fine.

Problem today everything is being made disposable. I have no issue with plastic or composite for weight and being recyclable. But make the mechanics last.

-- mrg

View Novicebutlearning's profile

Novicebutlearning

#14 posted 05-15-2010 12:18 AM

Another victim of Big Orange’s “value brand” marketing ploys. When I worked at H.D. we had tons of Ryobi products get returned. Almost all of the returns were because the machines could not hold up to regular use. I am, however a fan of Rigid tools. They are super durable, well designed and have a life-time warranty.

-- A laborer uses his hands. A craftsman uses his hands and his head. An artist uses his hands, his head and his heart.

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

2570 posts in 2054 days

#15 posted 05-16-2010 02:52 AM

Same here..I also stopped purchasing Ryobi tools. At one time they were pretty good but that was quite a few years back. I have stayed with Makita pad sanders for many years and have had excellent luck with them.