Grinding wheel dresser

Review by hairy posted 05-13-2010 03:21 AM 3016 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grinding wheel dresser No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Did you ever do something dumb, then follow up with something stupid? OK, I’m the only one. Anyway,I wore a big groove down the center of my grinder that I sharpen lathe tools on. Then I went to Sears and got this.

This is a good idea, it just doesn’t do a good job. The wheel I was dressing is 120 grit aluminum oxide. I assumed this would be a harder material. I quickly wore this out and still had a groove. The instructions did say the plastic would wear down as you use it. They didn’t say it clogs up your grinder wheel.

I wanted to give no stars. Save your money.

-- stay thirsty my friends...

View hairy's profile

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

#1 posted 05-13-2010 03:42 AM

Thanks for the heads up on this. I’d seen the same thing in Lowes and was contemplating it. Now I’m not. Think I’ll just seek out the tried and true starred wheels I’ve always seen around.

-- Scott, Irmo SC

View Sean's profile

#2 posted 05-13-2010 04:07 AM

-- "Democracy is by far the worst system of government. Except all the others that have been tried." ~ Winston Churchill

View Rick Boyett's profile

Rick Boyett

#3 posted 05-13-2010 05:08 AM

View PCM's profile

#4 posted 05-13-2010 05:17 AM

Lee Valley sells a diamond dresser that is excellent.

View Kerux's profile

#5 posted 05-13-2010 05:33 AM

Unless it’s a wrench or a hammer…. Why would you go to Sears?

View TroutGuy's profile

#6 posted 05-13-2010 06:26 AM

-- There is nothing in the world more dangerous, than a woodworker who knows how to read a micrometer...

#7 posted 05-13-2010 03:56 PM

Wow, just looking at the pic, this simply does not look like it would work. I am considering the Geiger’s dressing and truing solution, but I bet there is a HUGE difference in price…

-- My workshop blog can be found at

View Swede's profile

#8 posted 05-13-2010 11:55 PM

Thanks for the review. Money is to tight to buy something that don’t work.

-- Swede -- time to make some sawdust

View Dan Campebell's profile

Dan Campebell

#9 posted 05-15-2010 01:41 PM

It is hard to believe that Sears could get even worse than they have been for the last 20 years but being the great retailing entrepeneurs that they are, they have found a way. I went to one of their hardware stores to get cool blocks for a 10 year old 12” bandsaw that I got when I bought out a small woodshop, they didn’t have any idea what “cool blocks were and I even had to point out where the guide blocks are on the “new and improved model” they are selling now. Sears is not the retailer it once was..

-- Dan Campbell

View Eagle1's profile

2066 posts in 2150 days

#10 posted 05-29-2010 01:10 PM

I use the oneway setup system for sharping my lathe tools. they have a diamond jig for truing up your wheels.

-- Tim, Missouri ....Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the heck happened

#11 posted 05-29-2010 07:16 PM

sorry it did’nt work better

-- Custom furniture