CHARLES NEIL BLOTCH CONTROL

Review by a1Jim posted 05-11-2010 09:51 PM 12916 views 8 times favorited 47 comments Add to Favorites Watch
CHARLES NEIL BLOTCH CONTROL No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hey friends and neighbors
I received my can of Charles Neils Blotch control almost a week ago and I have been waiting to give it a try due to my work schedule
I decided to give it a go on some poplar knowing it’s one of the worst woods to blotch when stain is applied.
I sanded this six quarter piece of poplar as I would preparing for staining for all woods I’m about to finish going through the grits up to 220 grit as the instructions suggest. I then applied a first coat of blotch control by just wiping it on and let dry for an hour (again as the instructions say to do) sanded with 320 grit and then cleaned it off and applied the second coat and let dry overnight. Since I have another project made of poplar that I wanted to use my General finishes vintage cherry water base dye stain on I decided to use it on the test.

Here’s the back side of the poplar board the front had very large areas of sap wood

Photobucket

I then started to apply a liberal amount of the stain to both of the treated and non treated wood. and wiped off the excess as is normal

here’s the top of the board that was not treated with Charles blotch control

Photobucket

here’s the bottom of the board that was treated with Charles blotch control.

Photobucket

WOW I could not believe my eyes I saw it on line but now in person it looks like a cherry board joined to a blotchy horrible piece of wood. But wait there’s more WERE DID THE SAP WOOD GO it all colored as if there was no sap wood. I could’nt believe my eyes.
What this means is for the cost of Charles blotch control I can use poplar or pine and make it look like anything I want. This will save a bundle in wood cost.

Here’s a photo of top and bottom in a long shot. The top is without blotch control and the bottom was treated with blotch control.

Photobucket

Charles rides again not only is he a great builder of furniture plus the master of finishing but now a great inventor of a product that makes our projects look like high priced woods when there not.

Everyone familiar with me knows I’m a big fan of Charles and even though we have never met I consider him a good friend. But that in no way had anything to do with rating this great blotch control a five star product.
It’s great and I plan getting much more . Give it a try you’ll be glad you did.
Thanks Charles for solving this problem for us all

Here’s Charles video about it.

Here’s were you can get it.

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#1 posted 05-11-2010 09:52 PM

I’m getting mine tomorrow. Very Excited!

View Dennis Fletcher's profile

Dennis Fletcher

#2 posted 05-11-2010 09:59 PM

Wow, looks great. I am going to get some here soon. I am becoming a real fan of Charles.

-- http://www.ahomespecialist.net, Making design and application one. †

View Rj's profile

Rj

#3 posted 05-11-2010 10:02 PM

I second that WOW!! I’m sold gotta get some for sure.

-- Rj's Woodworks,San Jose & Weed Ca,

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#4 posted 05-11-2010 10:36 PM

Nice job Jim. I think this product will make a lot of folks really happy with their projects.
Nothing stings me more than a bad finish after hours of joinery and sanding.

I have a couple of areas of technique to work on but essentially I got results very similar to yours.

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View sandhill's profile

sandhill

#5 posted 05-11-2010 11:22 PM

Hey Jim? What size can is that? What coverage will it do? I am doing a kitchen and was wondering how much I would need.

-- Bob Egbert AKA Sandhill http://www.sandhillwoodworks.com/

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

#6 posted 05-11-2010 11:27 PM

I plan on buying this product for the crib and dresser I am building. Good to hear it is a great product. Thanks for posting.

God Bless
tom

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

#7 posted 05-11-2010 11:29 PM

Hey Sandhill
It’s one quart that covers 2 coats of 50 sq ft.
Charles told me it’s great for making plywood and hardwoods match . So that’s great for cabinet work.

#8 posted 05-11-2010 11:30 PM

Jim, sounds like a great product.

Fantastic review.

View Eric_S's profile

Eric_S

#9 posted 05-11-2010 11:40 PM

I saw his video but so far have only seen results directly from Charles with his OWN product so I’ve been a bit hopeful but skeptical (no offense meant to Charles). However, seeing that piece from you makes me want to use this before I BLO my cherry nightstands(only a few more weeks away from glue up I think). I was thinking of using a sealer before oiling it to begin with, but I wasn’t sure what type to use.

Thanks Jim.

-- - Eric Indianapolis, IN

View grizzman's profile

grizzman

6997 posts in 1955 days

#10 posted 05-11-2010 11:41 PM

i am amazed with how this preformed..its on the buy list..thanks charles and thanks jim for doing a great review…this really does change the choices we have had to make with wood choice’s..super….....

-- GRIZZMAN ...[''''']

View araldite's profile

araldite

187 posts in 2055 days

#12 posted 05-12-2010 12:05 AM

I got mine a couple of weeks ago and can confirm the claims. So far I’ve only used it on polar also.

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#13 posted 05-12-2010 12:18 AM

I wonder if it would work that well on hard maple…but that test is impressive.

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

#14 posted 05-12-2010 12:20 AM

I think he does maple in the video in the link above

View CharlesNeil's profile

CharlesNeil

#15 posted 05-12-2010 12:45 AM

I feel awkward responding to this, but this is LJ”s , home for me, so tell ya what, post your questions and In the morning I will answer them all, and if i say anything that you find to be not correct , or doesnt work for you i will refund your $ as well as your shipping… Eric-s no offense taken , I assure you , I totally agree, we have all been stung bad by false claims… and garbage ..
but to get a head start,,, yes it does as well on hard maple, soft maple as it did on the poplar eric-s .. dont think its a good idea with BLO , this is a product that creates a seal, while oil base stains will work well , blo is designed to penetrate , this prevents that .

I will also tell you this, barring some unforseen event, this product will not be in “stores” , the reason is simple , we have a very narrow profit margin here, and the retailers would make the price almost double, Im not going to do it, I developed this , true, but like you Im a woodworker, and the shipping is bad enough, so we will do what we can to get it to you as cheap as we can.. I promise… see you in the morning