One Great Product

Review by Woodshopfreak posted 02-28-2008 12:39 AM 11770 views 2 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
One Great Product No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was wanting a jointer for a long time. I was looking, but most were upwards of $400, and I am not willing to fork over that kind of money, so I opted for a cheaper, but still efficient one. I saw the Delta, but it had aluminum table, and although it looked very nice, the lightness of it didn’t make me really that happy about it. I was going to get the 4 inch craftsman jointer, when I said to myself, I will grow, I will later want the bigger version, I will be mad I made the desision to get the smaller one. I saved up about $70 bucks more and got the 6 inch version. It is about 80 pounds so I don’t move it unless I have to. It is really nice. It cuts perfect, with no snipe. It was almost ready to go out of the box, and I was useing it within about an hour. The switch had cracked off in shiping, but that is no problem because you can just call up sears and they send you one out free of charge that got here in about 2-3 days. I would by this jointer again and again if I had to. It is truley a great thing to have in a shop and to own.

-- Tyler, Illinois

View Woodshopfreak's profile

Woodshopfreak

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

#1 posted 02-28-2008 12:59 AM

This is a good place to start Tyler. I started with a jointer almost like this one, went through a couple of sets of blades and finally upgraded a few years later to my current Powermatic. It’s a good jointer to learn just what you can do with one, on a smaller scale.

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#2 posted 02-28-2008 01:08 AM

thats cool
i thought about that but i figured that i didn’t really need one
its too small to joint the 8ft boards that i usually joint so i use my router for that
when i get a router table too i will just shim the fence and use that for small parts jointing
it looks though like a good machine to start out with

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

#3 posted 02-28-2008 05:08 AM

Tyler you made a good choice passing on the Delta – I bought the Delta and I hate it. So if we are keeping score it’s Tool Selection – Tyler 1 – Bill 0 :-))

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View grovemadman's profile

grovemadman

#4 posted 02-28-2008 10:01 AM

Many people say, including my 7th grade woodshop teacher many moons ago that a jointer is the first tool you should get. You just made a wise decision! I can’t tell you how many projects i could’ve done better if had a jointer or taken my wood to someone who did. I use my router table and a jig to get by, but I’ve been looking at the same rig you just bought. Thanks for the post!

-- --Chuck

View ShipWreck's profile

ShipWreck

#5 posted 02-28-2008 11:38 AM

Looks like Craftsman has improved the fence on the bench top model. I was looking around at bench tops a few years ago but I didnt care for the fence on the Craftsman or the Delta. I ended up buying the Craftsman 6” stationary. I’m satisfied with it, but I could have saved some room going with the one you have Tyler.

Nice pick.

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#6 posted 02-28-2008 12:05 PM

I have that same jointer. It has been satisfactory in every regard.

View dlgWoodWork's profile

dlgWoodWork

#7 posted 02-28-2008 07:29 PM

I have that same Jointer. Tyler is right, it is build like a tank. I actually have mine for sale now. I got a great deal on a Grizzly G0452, that is the reason I am selling mine.

-- Check out my new woodworking blog: http://www.dlgwoodworkblg.com

View John's profile

John

#8 posted 02-28-2008 08:27 PM

I have the same jointer as well – takes me a long time to get the fence perfectly perpendicular to the table, but once set it stays there. I think it’s a great tool – solid as a rock. Thanks for the review!

-- John - Central PA - http://affyx.wordpress.com

View ed290's profile

ed290

#9 posted 02-28-2008 11:56 PM

Thanks for making up my mind. I have been wanting a jointer and was considering the Delta. Now that I have read your post and the comments I am going to do the Craftsman. I don’t know why I would have looked at anything else. I have a 10” Craftsman Table Saw that has served me well. Craftsman is a good brand, and for the small workshop like mine you can’t beat the price or durability of the Craftsman tools.

-- Ed Black, www.edswoodworking.com

View hasbeen99's profile

hasbeen99

#10 posted 07-02-2009 02:32 AM

I just bought a mildly used version of this jointer from a woodworker who’s in the USN and about to be deployed and then transferred to a different base. He hated to part with it, and after reading the reviews on this thread, I can see why! It’ll be my first experience with a jointer, but not for a lack of desire. I’m excited to set it up and put it to work. :)

-- "The only thing that counts is faith, expressing itself in love." --Galatians 5:6