HTC 2000 Universal Mobile Base

Review by CryptKeeper posted 05-11-2010 07:53 PM 4203 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
HTC 2000 Universal Mobile Base HTC 2000 Universal Mobile Base HTC 2000 Universal Mobile Base Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased 2 of these units one for my Jet 6” jointer and one for a Powermatic 2800 drill press.

By the manufacture specs the 6” jointer weighs 237lbs and the drill press weights in at 209lbs. The HTC works well for both applications. However, I question the load rating of 500lbs on these units I don’t see it being able to support my table saw, that is spece’d at 456 lbs., long term.

Pros:
Instructions are easy to follow and assembly is straight foreword it took about 15 per unit.

Universal size that adjust in 1” increments
—Expands from 12” to 52”;
—Maximum square: 36” x 36”.
—Maximum rectangle: 20” x 52”.
—Side note here: because of the mounting flanges on the jointer’s base it wasn’t as stable as I would liked so, I used couple of wedges to shim around the sides of jointer to remove the excess slop.

7/8” clearance under leveling feet during movement.

Price: $59.99 extremely affordable.

Lifetime warranty

Cons:
Foot lever construction: the levers are plastic I don’t see them taking a lot of abuse if you are constantly relocating the machines. In a small shop like mine everything is against a wall and I pull it out when I need to use it.

Foot lever design: lowering and raising the machinery could cause the machine to tip over. The levers operate one side at a time causing the machine to tilt. If the machine is top heavy and is on a narrow base it could be an accident waiting to happen. My drill press stands at 68” and is probably pushing the limit of being safe. If I use the HTC 2000 for the bandsaw I’m purchasing I plan to laminate a couple of pieces 3/4” plywood to mount the base on to increase the foot print. – There are clear warnings in the owner’s manual regarding the tilting of the machinery.

Additional Notes:
The HTC 2000 Base increases the machine height by 9/16” – this isn’t necessarily a bad thing unless your cabinet heights or custom built supports can’t accommodate the height difference. For example, I have an 8’ workbench on the in-feed side of my table saw that is the same height as the saw. Ripping large pieces of plywood I am able to use my workbench for additional support. If I raise the table saw by 9/16th I would loose the ability to use the bench. Like I said not necessarily a bad thing just something to consider.

Hard plastic wheels: these work well on flat surfaces such as finished concrete floors. However, a rough broom finished concrete floor will eat these wheels up in no time so you would be better off looking for a base with the soft rubber wheels.

The 500lb load capacity: I believe this is over stated for long term use and durability. I don’t think the plastic levers or wheels / casters will survive long rolling over sawdust and other debris with that kind of weight on it. It would probably work short term but I base my opinion on long term durability.

Overall opinion:
Great value for moderate duty use with moderate weight.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#1 posted 05-11-2010 08:59 PM

Thank you for another very good review. Your reviews are very comprehensive and well written.

I’m curious about using a mobile base on your drill press. Most manufacturers recommend that you bolt your drill press to the floor because they are tall and top-heavy. Did you set up the mobile base to create a larger footprint and did you secure the drill press to the mobile base? I ask because it seems like increasing the effective size of the footprint would be almost as good as bolting it down.

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

#2 posted 05-11-2010 11:32 PM

I have these in my shop and have had no problems with them what so ever. I did a tool review on these as well. Thanks for posting.

God Bless
tom

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

#3 posted 05-12-2010 03:55 AM

Rich,

I did not increase the mobile base size beyond what was necessary for the foot of the drill press to fit. The outside of measurements of the base is 14” x 18” and with the casters mounted on the sides the front measures 22” caster to caster. This pretty much eliminates the potential of the base tipping over.

However, the drill press is still a little top heavy it took a little effort but I could cause the unit tip inside the base; so I will probably attach it to the mobile base. The mobile base kit comes with extra rails to make various sizes I will use one of these across the under side of the mobile unit. The drill press has two T-slots in the base that I can use carriage bolts through to attach the rail.

#4 posted 05-12-2010 04:00 AM

Tom,
What kind of weight have you put on yours? Have you come close to the 500lb load limit specified in the manual? I’m looking at putting a bandsaw on one of these units the specification on the bandsaw list the weight at 400lbs with a height of 72”.

Thanks,

View Rick's profile

Rick

#5 posted 05-17-2010 05:31 AM

Hi All:

I have the EXACT unit that you show above, the “Schematic Drawing” is identical. The ONLY difference is, mine has Aluminum Alloy Lifters, not plastic. I Bought it at Lowes Canada for $78.00 about a week ago. It’s marketed as “Port A Mate” Model “PM1000”. The Max load is shown as 400Lbs. Yes! I can see those Plastic Lifters Breaking judging by the amount of Pressure required to put the Wheels into Lifting Mode.

They point out that the “Direction Of Travel” must be ”toward” or ”away from” the Lifter Wheels and they may be placed at the Front or Rear of (in my case) the Table Saw. The Outside Base Measurements of my Application are 27-3/4 inches Front & Rear. 26-1/2 inches Both Sides.

Potentai Hazard! If you put the Lifter wheels at the FRONT of the saw they protrude out from the Base 6 inches when Lowered. Right about where your feet would be, when Feeding Material into the Saw, or perhaps using any other type of Machinery. NOT a good situation! So I put mine at the Rear of the Saw.

After assembly I tried a ”Push Test” with all assembled and the wheels Lowered. From the FRONT it took some effort but it Would SLIDE on the Rubber Feet, located Outboard of the Base Frame and beside the Lifting Wheels, resting on a Concrete floor. Have not as yet tried by actually feeding material into the Saw.

”Push Test” from the REAR of the saw where Lifters are located, ONE Hand, Very Little effort and it SLID Forward quite EASILY! Perhaps not a Problem? BUT! That shouldn’t be able to happen!

ALSO! The ”Stationary Wheels” at the front, attached to the base, produced a 1-1/2 inch side to side movenet, in the Down Position, because of the excessive “Play” in the Axles of the Wheels. NOT something I want! This is after I had tightend the axles so much that I was “Pulling In” the Wheels Outside mounting Plates. Perhaps a Washer or 2 mounted on the Axle will cure this. (WHY should I have to do that?)

I have MINIMAL LOAD on the Base. i.e. My NEW RIDGID R4516 Portable Contractors Saw, Plus my Old Open Metal Leg Stand., Plus a Piece of 3/4” GIS Fir Plywood Mounting Base/Adapter for the New Saw onto the Older Metal Stand for a TOTAL WEIGHT of ONLY 95 Lbs. It takes a Reasonble amount of Force to Raise that Weight! Trying to Raise 200 Lbs. is NOT something I see happening. Let alone the “Rated 400 Lbs.!”. Perhaps what it will “Support” and what it will comfortably “RAISE” are 2 different “Specifications.”

The only Solution I can see for MY USE is to make a Pair of ”JAM STICKS” that will fit into the Sationary Wheels therby “Locking Them” and preventing any Side To Side movement and preventing the Wheels from moving during any FRONT TO BACK Sliding Motion. BUT! Once again, Why should I have to do that. ”WHEEL LOCKS” on the Stationary Wheels, from The Manufacturer would have solved that.

Having said all that it will depend on what TYPE of Machinery you intend to mount on the Base and how often you will be moving it.

From what I now know I would NOT attempt to mount a TALL, Reasonably HEAVY piece of equipment on this Mobile Base.

-- COMMON SENSE Is Like Deodorant. The People Who need It Most, Never Use It.

#6 posted 05-17-2010 06:14 AM

I have several they work great

View Rick's profile

Rick

#7 posted 05-17-2010 07:37 AM

Jim:

Thanks for the Input. If there’s anyone on here who’s Opinion I’d take as Gospel, It’s YOURS My Man! No problems with Heavy Machinery? No Tippy Tip? Easy to “Lift” even under a Heavy Load?

As I said earlier. I just got mine a week ago and haven’t really given it a fair trial yet.

Your advice DOES make a difference!!

PS: I just had ANOTHER look at you Website. The site itself is Excellent. Surpassed only by ALL that BEAUTIFUL Furniture! Family Operation for that many years? You must be Extremely Proud!

Hope you don’t mind and I’m asking your permission. I Downloaded the Picture of the Stool with the Drawers from “Reproductions” I think it was. Just caught my eye and I’d Love to build ONE as a Gift for a Lady who is Moving and is also a Quaker.

-- COMMON SENSE Is Like Deodorant. The People Who need It Most, Never Use It.