Installation issues ( it should "no" star for the moment)

Review by b2rtch posted 05-10-2010 08:09 PM 2979 views 1 time favorited 28 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Installation issues ( it should "no" star for the moment) No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I went to buy this fence last Thursday to mount it on my HF band saw.
I mounted it Saturday and yesterday Sunday.
I am mechanic by trade and it is my job to make stuff work, no matter what.
Well, this fence was a challenge.
I was expecting an easy and straight forward installation, the installation was anything but——
The table had two threaded holes in the front which lined up with fixation holes in the fence but contrary to what it is supposed to be , when using these holes the fence did not clear the miter slot; it was way too high and the fence itself was seating a 3/8’ above the table.
After contemplating different routes to go , I decided to drill and tap two new holes but lower.
This is what I did.
Now the fence clears the miter slot but it seats crocked compare with the surface of the table.
If the fence touches the front of the table, it is now about 1/2” high in the rear.
I shimmed the front of the table so that the fence will be parallel to the table, it kind of work but this is mickey mouse and I do not like it.
The next step is to take the table out and to get front machined square with the top, not a huge issue but a pain in the rear nevertheless.

5386 posts in 1918 days

#1 posted 05-10-2010 08:24 PM

You got pics?

FWIW, I HATE my Craftsman Professional fence on my HF Band Saw, but at least aligning it is a no brainer… Just had to make shims, and use their clamps (Would have been better off drilling & tapping some bolt holes, but oh well…).

Harbor Freight USED to sell a “prescision band saw fence” that has dropped out of the catalog in the last year. I should have grabbed that one…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

#2 posted 05-10-2010 08:35 PM

“Harbor Freight USED to sell a “precision band saw fence” that has dropped out of the catalog in the last year. I should have grabbed that one…”
I tried t get this one but very unfortunately it is no longer available.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#3 posted 05-10-2010 08:41 PM

sounds more like an incompatibility issue with the HF bandsaw more than a faulty fence.

the Kreg fence description does say that it works with MANY bandsaws out of the box, and requires some modification to work with others. this one would be the “others”.

give us an updated review once you actually have experience with the fence as to how it performs :) and good luck with the installation. money saved, is work earned sometimes ;)

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

#4 posted 05-10-2010 08:51 PM

” sounds more like an incompatibility issue with the HF band saw more than a faulty fence”
The issue is that the mounting surface for the fence, on the table, is not square with the top of the table.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#5 posted 05-10-2010 08:55 PM

So if I understand you correctly, the problem here is the bandsaw’s own table that is not machined well enough right? this has nothing to do with the fence?

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

#6 posted 05-10-2010 09:18 PM

Correct, unless I find more problems later.
If you notice , I did not say anything about the fence being the cause of my issues.
I wrote that I have issues installing this fence and not because of the fence.

View williams's profile

williams

#7 posted 05-10-2010 09:55 PM

This is typical of things. Fences rarely square in all directions, only the working ends. Circ saw bases rairly parallel to blade, etc.

-- William, Brighton, MI

View woodsmithshop's profile

woodsmithshop

#8 posted 05-10-2010 11:00 PM

I installed this fence on a Taiwan made bandsaw and later on my Powermatic with no problems with either one, it has been a very good fence, much better than the fences that came with either saw.

-- Smitty!!!

#9 posted 05-10-2010 11:41 PM

i learned a loong time ago you buy from harbour freight you get what you pay for.nothing but junk.

-- i wonder if obama stood in a wind storm with them big ears of his would he start spinning like a drill bit

#10 posted 05-11-2010 01:53 AM

I always have been very satisfied with what I bought at HF and I have been buying tools from HF for 20 years or so.
I went home tonight and I took the table out of the saw and I sanded the fence mounting surfaces square to the table on my Rigid sander .
Now everything is fine and the fence fits very well.
End of the story.

View Enthalpy's profile

Enthalpy

#11 posted 05-11-2010 02:13 AM

Pardon my French…but you bought a 10$ saw and a 200$ fence????

#12 posted 05-11-2010 02:21 AM

I am afraid you are wrong, I paid $100.00 for the saw and $127.00 for the fence.
By the way this very same saw is sold under different names for up to $800.00 (Jet)

View ericandcandi's profile

ericandcandi

#13 posted 05-11-2010 02:28 AM

Good fence. I have one on my Delta and it works like a charm. Sorry to here you are having problems.

-- ericandcandi in Louisiana- Home of the "LSU Tigers"

#14 posted 05-11-2010 02:29 AM

Thank you , the problems very easily fixed.

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#15 posted 05-11-2010 02:34 AM

I wonder if you had “clamped” the fence in place and then drilled the mounting holes if your problems would not ahve been less?
If I would not fit on the table when clamped in place you might have saved yourself a lot of grief.

Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner