Edge Detail Sanding Made Easy

Review by dustynewt posted 05-10-2010 09:16 AM 2993 views 2 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Edge Detail Sanding Made Easy Edge Detail Sanding Made Easy Edge Detail Sanding Made Easy Click the pictures to enlarge them

I don’t remember where I first saw these advertised, but I filed it in the back of my mind to try later. Well, I was getting some basic shop supplies from Klingspor and happened to remember them. This is the link to where I found them.

I do a lot of small carvings, making keychains and pendants (see examples), and the small pieces can be fumblesome for my fat fingers to hand sand. These do not eliminate this, but go a long way to ease things, timewise. They reach in between my cuts and can even be used for inside cuts on fretwork with a hole larger than say .5 inches. They flex the way I need them to and with my variable speed saw are easy to control so that I don’t sand more than I need to (or want to). The actual sanding area depends on the stroke of your saw, but you can turn them upside down to get fresh grit

They cost about $2 each and are available in 80, 120, 180, and 220 grits. If you meet their minimum order with other stuff, which I think is $45, shipping is free. They are .25 inches wide and fit standard scroll saws that use pin-ends.

I am going to try bonding a 320 grit to the back of one so that I will have dual usage of the same belt

I would give them a 5 star rating but have not yet determined their lifespan. But I do like them.

Peace in Wood,
Scott (a.k.a. DustyNewt)

-- Peace in Wood ~ http://dustynewt.com/

View dustynewt's profile

dustynewt

View azwoodman's profile

azwoodman

#1 posted 05-10-2010 09:39 AM

those things look really handy!

-- Spencer, Gilbert Az (http://www.azwoodshop.com)

View SteveMI's profile

SteveMI

869 posts in 2018 days

#2 posted 05-11-2010 01:09 AM

I got some a year ago or more from Woodcraft made by “Scroll Sander.” They used to have a website, scrollsander.com, but it isn’t working anymore.

If you are using them on softer woods like basswood they last forever.

Only problem on a scroll saw is that you only use the center section unless you want to tempt fate with the upper arm moving. That causes the center to clog.

On scrollsawer.com one of the people mentioned making their own from belt sander.

They are definitely a useful tool for small detail work. Before finding these, I used to buy the disposable nail files in volume for dealing with edges on the small detailed jobs. In past I used them for intarsia, but the local market just wasn’t interested in buying them.

Steve.

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

#3 posted 05-11-2010 08:27 AM

years ago I had something similar to my table maunted jiigsaw
I discovert that I cuold exstend the life on the sandpaper
simply ading one or two exstra plywood plates to the table
and raise the araier where I used it

thankĀ“s for the review

Dennis

View Rick's profile

Rick

#4 posted 05-11-2010 09:54 AM

That’s a Great Idea Bonding other sandpaper to the back!

I have a B&D Orbital Sander. Got fed up with the “Run ON” after turning it off so I bought one of those Circular Holders on Ball Bearings with a Removable Crepe Disc in it from Lee Valley. They’re specifically for Orbitals and I was surprised at how well they Clean Up the Sandpaper Disc just by sitting them in during “Run On”.

I know you can buy Crepe Blocks but I just pull the one out of the holder to clean off the Belt Sander and Hand Held Paper. Might do a little something for you to keep them clean? Just a thought.

Rick

PS: Found the Link for the Lee Valley “Sanding Dish” 5” or 6 HERE in case you or other LJ’ers want to have a look see. They also have 1/4” & 1/2” Scroll Saw Sanding Belts, Pin or Pinless, 4 Pack at $7.50.

-- LJ's "Be Nice" Policy. "Reach out and touch someone." NO! Not There!! ... ;-}

View dustynewt's profile

dustynewt

#5 posted 05-11-2010 03:20 PM

Thanks for your great comments. What ya’ll have added will help me and others decide how to best use these.

Steve~ My scroll saw uses the bottom half so I can just turn it when it wears down.

Dennisgrosen~ Good idea about elevating the piece to get more use! Thanks.

Rick~ I will get a crepe bar next time I get supplies. I need one for my belt/disk sander anyway. Great idea.

-- Peace in Wood ~ http://dustynewt.com/