Poulan P3314 Chainsaw

Review by TopamaxSurvivor posted 05-10-2010 08:51 AM 11417 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Poulan P3314 Chainsaw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this Poulan 14” P3314 a couple of years ago because I wanted a smaller saw for small jobs. It had a very good price at Lowes. I have a small electric for around home, but now needed one for woods use. My other saw is a 041 Super Stihl. I don’t recall what it weighs but I run 28 and 32 inch bars on it. It is a bit unwieldy at times and a bit tiring for all day use.

This little Poulan has plenty of power for its 14 inch bar and cuts fast and straight. The only down side is the recoil starter, I doesn’t want to retract too well. I always fiddle around and get it back in. I only had to take it apart to fix it once. When it came out of the box, I had to repair the off/on switch. It does take a lot of pulls to start. The back of the saw has these instructions:

1) Push the primer button 6 times
2) Pull the choke out all the way
3) Pull the cord 5 times
4) Push the choke in half way
5) Pull until it starts

It usually starts within 1-5 pulls after pushing the choke to half way. Be sure to read the instructions that say to increase the idle speed. It would stall every time I released the throttle as it came from the factory. If you remember to push the safety bar forward to disengage the chain, it will start a little easier, sometimes. Maybe this is a child proofing feature; they will give up playing with it before they ever get it started ;-)

I would give it 5 stars if it were easier to start. My Stihl weed wacker is just a hard or harder to start.

Edit: replace the factory spark plug with Champion CJ8. It starts a lot easier ;-)

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

View stefang's profile

stefang

13299 posts in 2024 days

#1 posted 05-10-2010 09:39 AM

Good review Bob. I also have a gas powered Stihl weed wacker. I don’t have any start problems, but I pump the gas 6 times instead of the recommended 3 times. It is a great machine though. I have a Bosch electric chain saw, but I don’t use it much. They are very handy tools, but I’ve never felt comfortable using them, as I can’t help being worried about the chain breaking, and I don’t want to wear 20 pounds of safety gear every time I use one.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#2 posted 05-10-2010 01:49 PM

Thank you for a very good and helpful review.

View 8iowa's profile

8iowa

#3 posted 05-10-2010 02:18 PM

This brings back memories. After hurricane Charlie hit SW Florida in ‘04, HD had truckloads of Poulan chainsaws brought in, and they were stacked literally to the ceiling. They were moving out like hotcakes. I thought about buying one until I saw a guy out in the parking lot trying to start one that he had just purchased. He pulled, and pulled, and pulled….........and….....well, you get the picture here. I decided not to buy one.

Nows that I’m here in the U.P. I bought a Husqvarna, this has worked out very well.

-- "Heaven is North of the Bridge"

View flyfisherbob2000's profile

flyfisherbob2000

#4 posted 05-10-2010 03:25 PM

I have this same saw, and agree with the review. I have used it for construction demolition, and green wood cutting. For a small, inexpensive saw, it performs well. But, I too have had the same problem with the recoil starter, and have had to take it apart several times. It seems to work better when I spray some silicone spray inside on the moving parts, at least I havent had to take it apart for some time this season.
Overall a good sam, and a deal at Lowe’s

View jdog's profile

jdog

#5 posted 05-10-2010 08:22 PM

Ya I have two of these I bought two years ago. One for deer camp firewood, the other for spliting the backbone ” halfing” . For the price there a great little saw, this sit is just awsome every time I log in it’s something diffrent and useful! I use a husky for everthing else great saw light weight

-- jdog, Napa, California jaaross@comcast.net

View Hunterastin's profile

Hunterastin

51 posts in 1980 days

#6 posted 05-11-2010 02:54 AM

we have a wild thing by poulan, and it has a sixteen inch bar, its a piece of junk, never wants to crank, and once it does crank it does alright, not great tho. i have taken it apart several times, one of the first time i pulled it apart there was saw dust caked up between the flywheel and coil. now i think its mostly carb issues but i just havent taken the time to tear it apart and mess with it.

View FordMike's profile

FordMike

#7 posted 05-11-2010 07:29 AM

Having to pull the recoil repeatedly is why I have forsaken all saws except Husqvarna and Stihl, My huskies ( 245,575,3120xp) start on the first or second pull everytime without fail. I run my saws 5 to 10 hours per week. I prefer Stihl for climbing saws I have 2 047’s and they start the first or second pull everytime as well. I have owned most makes over the years from Mac’s, Poulon, Echo, Shindiwa. Maintained Huskies and Stihls are easier to start and last longer for me anyway.

#8 posted 08-25-2010 10:11 PM

That reminds me of a story: I just moved in a house and I needed a chain saw.
I went to see my neighbor across the street to ask him if he had chain saw I could borrow.
He told me : I have this brand new Poulan but I was never able to start it. If you can get it to start then it is yours.It started on my very first pull!

I have a 18” Poulan electric chain saw that I bought refurbished, ti works very well and it has plenty power but the oil tank leaks all over.

View Arthur Rollins's profile

Arthur Rollins

#9 posted 10-19-2010 09:34 PM

This is timing ! I just happened to look in here ,My kid just dropped off a P 3314 WSA that he bought used and couldn`t start ether. BUT he started taking things apart and some how managed to break the inner part of the clutch. I can prob. fix it but I have no parts list to go with it so have been fishing through the parts ans pieces he left trying to figure out what is there and if any thing missing . NOW Does any one have a list that they would share with me ? Thanks Ageingwood (ART )

-- Art, Arts wood n things

View rance's profile

rance

#10 posted 10-19-2010 09:56 PM

Arthur, try www.arboristsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Topo, I have a Polan very similar. When it says push the primer N times, I don’t count the first few when the primer bulb pushes just air. I was also given a leaf blower the owner said was very hard to start. First day I followed the directions to a T. Same result as the orig. owner. I changed from pumping 10 times to only 3-4. It now starts on 1st or 2nd pull. Even after sitting all winter.

-- Backer boards, stop blocks, build oversized, and never buy a hand plane--

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

#11 posted 10-19-2010 10:01 PM

I’ve bought a couple of poulan chain saws they never seem to last long , They cut really slow too. It must have taken me 6 hours to cut through that metal I beam HMMM

#12 posted 10-20-2010 12:27 AM

Jim, you are just too funny

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#13 posted 06-02-2012 06:09 AM

I replaced the spark plug with a Champion CJ8 last year. It starts much easier, almost like a chainsaw should; just not on the first pull every time ;-(( but it starts so much easier, I have to wonder why the factory doesn’t use Champion plugs?

View Sawman82's profile

Sawman82

#14 posted 02-12-2013 03:38 AM

I bought this chainsaw after my 1991 model 1800 woodsman became irreparable
The chain oil pump went out and the part had long been discontinued the p3314 has the same size bar
And 3 more CCs of power it is a bit finicky to get started when new but after a gallon of fuel through it it starts as instructed I got rid of the stock chain and bought a professional chain the stock chain has fewer cutters on it replace the factory spark plug with a champion cj8 plug also avoid pump gas with ethanol in it because it will eat up the inside of the saw I don’t use pump gas at all I use trufuel40-1 premixed fuel and oil it comes in 32oz cans at any hardware store I its not gasoline or ethanol I don’t know what it is but I’ll never use any thing else in my chainsaw or weed eater they both start every time I use them with this stuff in them