1/4" drill bit extenders that work

Review by Bob #2 posted 05-09-2010 05:21 AM 4308 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
1/4" drill bit extenders that work 1/4" drill bit extenders that work 1/4" drill bit extenders that work Click the pictures to enlarge them

Over the years I’ve probably purchased a half dozen different quarter-inch bit extensions all of which have failed for one reason or another. Either thay were too long or too short or too wobbly or just plain junk and end up frustrating me every time I attempted to use them.

This morning I went out to check a couple of vendors that supply these devices to see if there were any improvements. The first store I checked had a set five but they were sealed in plastic and the sales clerk was too busy to answer some questions I had about them so I left. (they wer probably rejects of some factory floor in China anyway.

I went to another tool store and the clerk I spoke to there had no clue about what I was asking for. (Funny, I thought that would happen on the way over there)

Finally, I ended up at Lee Valley and found these extensions.
They’re well-made they fit well and have a good durable finish and are definitely easy to spot in my toolkit.

From wood stuff 2010

Those little red hoods you see in the picture are spring-loaded and pull forward to insert a drill bit and slide back to lock it in place.

Here’s a shot of the tip with the tool but in place.

From wood stuff 2010

The black part of the shaft is free from the main shaft and allows the shaft to rotate should you need to support the drive with your hand as shown in the next picture.

From wood stuff 2010

Should the need ever arise to have a 4 foot extension you can snap them all together and put a drill bit on the end of that. Just kidding.

From wood stuff 2010

Take 20 bucks with you if you are shopping for a set.

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

View degoose's profile

degoose

7010 posts in 2006 days

#1 posted 05-09-2010 07:01 AM

Next import order from LV will include these.. wondered what they were like… thanks for the review.

-- Drink twice... and don't bother to cut... @ lazylarrywoodworks.com.au For lovers of all things timber...

View Kristoffer's profile

Kristoffer

#2 posted 05-09-2010 08:02 AM

Yeah, I’ve been looking at the set of 3 for about a week and as much as I want them, I keep talking myself out of buying ‘em. I’m trying to save up for a used planer. As much as I’d like to add them to the shop…. I’ve got to stick to my guns. Thanks for the review.

-- Cheers and God Bless

View jpwatson's profile

jpwatson

#3 posted 05-09-2010 02:06 PM

Saw the email promo and was thinking about them… now I’m convinced. Thanks for a very good review!

-- Ones' greatest strength is most often their greatest weakness.

View CanadianWoodChuck's profile

CanadianWoodChuck

#4 posted 05-09-2010 02:27 PM

I’m glad to see they work, I had been looking at them as well, thanks

-- Wood Chuck (Bruce) http://3dwoodworkingplans.com

View Eagle1's profile

Eagle1

2066 posts in 1715 days

#5 posted 05-09-2010 09:57 PM

I ordered a set. Suppose to be here this week..

-- Tim, Missouri ....Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the heck happened

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#6 posted 05-10-2010 05:09 PM

got the email with those from LV. looks fantastic, as usual LV quality shows. I personally don’t have a need for those now, but if I ever do, I know which one to get.

Thanks for the review!

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Viking's profile

Viking

#7 posted 05-10-2010 05:17 PM

Bob;

Nice review. I ordered my set last week and waiting for the UPS truck to deliver them.

The set is on sale, until june 7th, for $19.50 which is $10 off of the individual prices.

Thanks for sharing.

Good Luck!

-- Rick Gustafson - Lost Creek Ranch - Colorado County, Texas

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#8 posted 05-10-2010 06:05 PM

It’s only after your have climbed your ladder for the 4 th time and tried to drive a 2” screw into a wall that you really appreciate having an extension that isn’t fighting your success. <g>
ps. the long one is great for reaching into a cupboard without having the drill in the way.
Enjoy this one Guys!