Most useful literature in my shop, easily.

Review by USCJeff posted 02-27-2008 07:23 AM 2073 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Most useful literature in my shop, easily. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

While this is not a tool, this book has earned its spot as one of my most useful assets in my shop. After posting numerous threads that requested help from the more experienced Jocks, I was told that Flexner’s book was the “Bible” of finishing. While I laughed at that, it turned out to be the case. In the last several months since the purchase, I have yet to have a finishing question that wasn’t explained in detail within the pages. My favorite feature is the individual chapters dedicated to many common species. Flexner offers many finishing strategies for each and explains the pro’s and con’s of each. A must buy item if you are as scared of finishing as I am.

-- Jeff, South Carolina

View USCJeff's profile

USCJeff

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

#1 posted 02-27-2008 07:39 AM

Agreed. This is a well written book.

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

#2 posted 02-27-2008 01:19 PM

your review makes it sound like it is a “must have” ... nice review

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

View Alin Dobra's profile

Alin Dobra

#3 posted 02-28-2008 03:52 AM

The thing that I like most about this book is the no-nonsense approach. Flexner debunks myth after myth about finishing.

Debbie, this is definitely a must have book.

Alin

-- -- Alin Dobra, Gainesville, Florida

#4 posted 02-28-2008 03:53 AM

Great book. Thanks for the review.

View grovemadman's profile

grovemadman

#5 posted 02-29-2008 02:32 AM

No doubt this is a great book and well worth the money!

-- --Chuck

View sandflea's profile

sandflea

#6 posted 03-02-2008 06:55 AM

I just got this book two days ago. The reviews were on it on Amazon were all really good. Haven’t started reading it yet as I am still trying to finish up The Bandsaw Book which I ordered at the same time. So far that is a very informative read also.

-- Sawdust is life

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#7 posted 03-02-2008 02:01 PM

Thanks for the review, Jeff. My “must have” list has really lengthened with this review challenge.

View USCJeff's profile

USCJeff

#8 posted 03-02-2008 06:25 PM

Sandflea: I’ve wondered about the Bandsaw Book, I need a resource on the bandsaw for sure. What I really need, is to have someone experienced give me a hand in my shop with the ins and outs. I can set it up reasonably well, I think. It would be helpful to do some in person resawing, veneer slicing, and methods of attacking a bandsawn box. I’ve found a lot of other literature, but a hand’s on tutorial would be awesome. I’m keeping my eye on the workshops in my area.

-- Jeff, South Carolina

View kcrandy's profile

kcrandy

285 posts in 2086 days

#9 posted 10-18-2010 08:38 PM

Anybody checked out what this book is selling for lately? Wow.

-- Caulk and paint are a poor carpenter's best friends