Wood River # 6

Review by jerryo posted 1442 days ago 2290 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wood River # 6 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I used this plane for the first time today and I was very impressed. It is a big step up from the other planes I
have been using. It has good heft to it and all of the parts were machined nice and didn’t requiure any filing.
The sole was dead flat and the iron was thick and the back flat. I spent 5 minutes honing the iron to an 8000
grit water stone and took fine shavings in maple, walnut and cherry. I have never used a Lie-neilsen, Clifton or
Veritas but with the way this performed I’m not sure you need to spend the extra money on one of those.
Anyone who has used both and can tell me the differences i would appreciate your knowledge. Jerry O

View jerryo's profile

jerryo

View bigike's profile

bigike

thanks for the review, i had my eye on one of these for awhile now i think i would get the #5 if they have one or a #5-1/2 which i know they don’t have but thanks for the info i would mabe change the blade to a hock or pinnacle.

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop, http://www.icombadaniels@yahoo.com

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

109331 posts in 2078 days

Thanks for the review Jerry

View jerryo's profile

jerryo

Hi Ike. I bought a hock iron for my Anant #4 and it worked as it was advertised thin transparent shavings. For what it”s worth, the iron on my #6 is thicker than the hock iron. Have you tryed the Pinical blades? Thanks, Jerry O

View ACP's profile

ACP

I own this plane and love it. The woodrivers have not let me down.

View bobdurnell's profile

bobdurnell

I have the #3,#5 and block plane and now when my LJ bro and I need someting extra for a project we refer to the procedure as lets Wood River it.

-- bobdurnell, Santa Ana California.

View Tony's profile

Tony

There is definitely a difference between the Woodriver and Veritas/Clifton hand planes, but not worthy of the price difference, I have several of these Woodriver style planes – certainly the best value planes I have bought.

If you get a chance buy a spare blade for the plane (about $25) and grind a back bevel on it , this will cover all the difficult grain jobs you have (helps to reduce tear out) and save on regrinding you main blade all the time.

-- Tony - All things are possible, just some things are more difficult than others! - SKYPE: Heron2005 (http://www.poydatjatuolit.fi)

View Drewskie's profile

Drewskie

ya, those planes are sweet!

-- I cut it three times and its still to short? www.work-in-wood.com