Rock Solid Jointer!

Review by CryptKeeper posted 05-05-2010 05:44 PM 3780 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rock Solid Jointer! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this jointer this past weekend and I have already run a few feet of white oak without any problems.

Pros:
The manual was easy to follow and assembly was a snap.

Plenty of power. Faced 6” white oak removing a 1/16 of inch no problem

Reasonable foot print for small shop. I actually went to order the 8” Jet but after talking with my dealer I realized there was no way I could handle that unit by myself (unloading and assembly) and it would take up too much floor space in my little shop.

Extremely easy to adjust the in-feed / out-feed tables, fence and blades. Note: Mine was on the money out of the box but I wanted to go through the adjustments just in case I ran into any problems – I was still fresh in my dealers mind and within their return policy.

Cons:
The only complaint I have is the limited packing material for the stand. There was one piece of styrofoam on the front side to protect the power switch. My stand was actually damaged but looking at the box you couldn’t tell. There are bolt flanges on each side of the bottom for mounting the unit down and mine apparently took a pretty good lick to the point the bottom is no longer level.

I decided it wasn’t worth taking it back and hammered it out but I still had to shim it on the mobile base to keep it from rocking. I recommend opening the stand carton before you purchase it and inspect the unit.

Other Considerations:
The table unit was packed very well if the box is in-tack I don’t see anyway it could be damaged in shipping.

Assembly of the unit is pretty straight forward but one thing to consider is my top was actually packed upside down in the carton. Not a big deal unless you are assembling the unit by yourself – the top weighs a couple of hundred pounds. I unloaded the carton off of my truck by sliding it on to my out-feed table. To get it out the box I took all the styrofoam and parts out (this is where I found it was upside down) and then I gently rolled the whole box on it’s side. If you try this be-careful if your hands get caught under the bottom you will probably lose a finger – one other thing to note is the fence is under the top.

I assembled the mobile base with the stand and after that it was just a matter of muscling the top off the out-feed table to the stand.

Total time required for unloading, unpacking, cleaning and assembly for one person: Less than 2 hours.

Overall opinion: Rock Solid Jointer.

View los's profile

los

#1 posted 05-05-2010 07:00 PM

Hey CryptKeeper – was this the model that was on sale a couple weeks ago marked down from $699 to $499?

#2 posted 05-05-2010 07:15 PM

Hi los,
I’m not sure. The regular price on this one at Rockler is $799 (click here) but I was able to get them to knock a little bit off because of the size of my order.

#3 posted 05-05-2010 08:40 PM

Hi Deke,

Yea, Christmas came in May this year and must have been a really good boy (or at least my wife thought so). I also picked up a the Powermatic 2800 VS drill press and Delta 50-760 dust collector. I had them order the Jet JWBS-18QT 3hp 18” bandsaw.

I plan on installing the dust collector this weekend and giving drill press a whirl as well. I’ll write up reviews for them once I form an opinion. But I will tell you this assembling the drill press by yourself is challenging to say the least. .

As for the quick set knives, they are fairly simple to adjust. I don’t have any basis to compare it to but basically, there is are two cam adjustment screws with two cam locking screws. You loosen the locking screw and one revolution of the adjustment screw = .015”. Once your satisfied you tighten the locking screw. I didn’t completely remove the blades but it didn’t seem much more complicated.

View WoodNuts's profile

WoodNuts

#4 posted 05-12-2010 02:41 PM

This is a nice addtion, I bought one 3 weeks ago, and glad to say shipped with no issue.

LOS- this is the deluxe model of the jointer woodcraft had on sale for 499.
The main diff is:
54” table vs 45-3/4”, 6000RPM vs 4800, and 3-5/8” more fence height, and $

Bought mine from Amazon=free shipping

Make sawdust…

-- ...there's a fix fer dat...

View lanwater's profile

lanwater

#5 posted 05-25-2010 09:56 PM

Thanks CryptKeeper!

I am still debating between this model, the delta 6” and the Grizzly.
Your review definitly helps me

Thanks!

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

#6 posted 05-25-2010 09:59 PM

Congrats on your new toy. Lanwater if you budget will allow get a spiral head jointer I have a grizzly and it’s great

#7 posted 05-26-2010 07:32 AM

I thought this PM I sent may be useful for others:

Lanwater,
After a lot of research I don’t think you would be disappointed in any of the brands you listed. However, depending on what you will be jointing I would definitely look at the bed length. I have run a few boards on the Delta 6” and if you have anything longer than about 4 ft you run the risk of sniping the end. The bed length on the Jet 6” long bed is 56” vs. Delta’s 46”. In my market the Jet was about $100 more than the Delta and I thought it was worth the extra money.

As for Grizzly, I really can’t say I couldn’t find anyone locally that carried them. Ordering online I had to consider that accepting these large items without a loading dock would be difficult. So, I opt to order from the my local Rockler dealer – if they can get it on my truck I can unload it.

Best of luck,

View lanwater's profile

lanwater

#8 posted 05-26-2010 11:58 PM

Thank you so much.

I am pretty sure the long bed will come handy although I am still doing a lot of learning.
I had even considered the 8” jointer but decided for 6”;I have everything on casters and I have to roll everything back against the wall every weekend.

My initial choice was the grizzly G0452Z with the spiral head. Although I read many many good reviews about the grizzly, one of my classmate got a lousy grizzly. He had some problems with the bed alignment.

I can definitely acommodate the Jet.

Thank you!

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

View WoodNuts's profile

WoodNuts

#9 posted 06-04-2010 12:30 PM

Correction to earlier post, it is 56” table length.

-- ...there's a fix fer dat...