Incredibly Straight, Incredible Value.

Review by deeznutz posted 05-05-2010 04:00 PM 3047 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Incredibly Straight, Incredible Value. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Well, the title just about says it all. I’ve been getting more in to hand tools (seems we all are) lately and the construction grade level and HD 12” combo square were just no longer straight enough. I needed an actually straight reference edge that I could trust and to be honest, was a bit skeptical of the price on these (~ $20 Shipped). After getting it, I can say I would highly recommend it. It’s the straightest tool in my little shop and gives me the confidence I need when setting up tools and knowing for sure that the surface I’m lapping plane beds on are actually flat, etc.

Can’t beat the price and it’s as straight as they get!

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#1 posted 05-05-2010 04:24 PM

great review, I ended up getting a straight edge (Empire) from HD not wanting to spend $100 on the other options. didn’t know GW had those reasonably priced. might check it out myself. thanks

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View blackcherry's profile

blackcherry

#2 posted 05-06-2010 03:10 AM

been wanting a straight reliable edge for quit some time, and I’m with Lev just couldn’t just fork over 100+ bucks for a straight edge this one look worth the effort in buying. Thanks for the timely review…Blkcherry

View 8iowa's profile

8iowa

#3 posted 05-06-2010 03:20 AM

I have the Veritas 50” aluminum straight edge, guaranteed to be flat with .003” over it’s length. This accessory gets used almost every day.

-- "Heaven is North of the Bridge"

View hjt's profile

hjt

#4 posted 05-06-2010 06:53 PM

Hey Nutz, is this tool used to guide your cut when using circ saw for example?

-- Harold

#5 posted 05-06-2010 08:07 PM

hjt, You could use it for that but I dont really think it’s really intended for that. It’s more of a machinist’s straightedge used to check for flatness of machines, edges, tools, etc. Ive seen those clamping edge guides that may be better for running a circular saw on but don’t have experience using them myself.

View wch's profile

wch

#6 posted 05-07-2010 05:38 PM

Based partly on your review, I just ordered these—but they said it won’t ship until September 1st! I hope that estimate is wrong. The web site said they was backordered, but four months is ridiculous, at least without fair warning.

View wch's profile

wch

#7 posted 05-07-2010 11:09 PM

An update on the 4-month backordering delay: Garrett Wade confirmed that they are indeed backordered until September, so I ended up canceling my order for them. They don’t post the length of the delay on their web site, so for anyone that’s planning on ordering these, be prepared for a long wait!

#8 posted 05-07-2010 11:13 PM

Jez…4 months?! Looks like I ordered one just in time…

Sorry to lead you all on then not knowing they’d be unavailable!

View 8iowa's profile

8iowa

#9 posted 05-08-2010 01:18 AM

Check in with Highland Woodworking, ( www.highlandwoodworking.com ) I believe that they carry three lengths of Veritas aluminum straightedges in stock.

-- "Heaven is North of the Bridge"

View Jon_Banquer's profile

Jon_Banquer

#10 posted 09-17-2010 10:53 AM

I can’t understand what advantage a straight edge has made from Aluminum over one made from tool steel or cast iron. I see heavy being much better than light for a straight edge and the price compared to tool steel or cast iron is about the same. Aluminum also absorbs heat faster and this is not an advantage in a straight edge. Further the tolerance on most of the steel straight edges I’ve seen advertised is far better. +/- .001 over the entire length of the straight edge.

Jon Banquer