Freud Jointer knives = POOP

Review by spaids posted 04-29-2010 02:54 PM 4374 views 0 times favorited 29 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Freud Jointer knives = POOP No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

These blades are so dull, I couldn’t even cut my finger with these. I contacted Freud directly about it and all I received was

“thats our blades thats how they come. If you don’t like it you should return them to where you bought them. We don’t get any complaints about our blades”

Umm YES you do get complaints because I was complaining with him right then. The dull blades I am replacing are sharper than these brand new Freud blades and Freud has ZERO concern.

These are terrible.

#1 posted 04-29-2010 04:03 PM

I bought a set of 4 1/4” Freud jointer knives, (don’t remember the actual fraction size). I thought they were sharp but not sharp enough to shave with.. They worked well at first, but got dull quickly and got chipped within one hour of use, despite slow careful feed on my antique jointer. Now it feels like the blades are hammering the wood rather than slicing. I wondered if we’re expected to put a finish hone on the blades, right out of the box? Cripes, I paid enough for them, it shouldn’t be necessary to touch them up first. I’ll go for a different brand next time. It should be a crime to treat customers the way you got treated.

View ajosephg's profile

ajosephg

#2 posted 04-29-2010 04:05 PM

I am surprisised at their lack of concern.

Many years ago I worked for a company that made electronic components, and we started getting quite a few returns for out of tolerance product. After some checking we found that the parts were actually product that we had scrapped. A dishonest employee was stealing the scrap, selling it to a black market distributor and to make a long story short the parts eventually found their way to legitimate distributors and were sold to unsuspecting customers.

Another possibility is that some bad boy is putting Freud’s logo on garbage product. If you have the time it might be interesting to kick this up to Freud’s top management.

-- Joe

View Rick  Dennington's profile

Rick Dennington

#3 posted 04-29-2010 04:11 PM

Greetings spaids: What a rip-off. That’s not right, no matter who you buy from. When we pay good mun for products like you did, they should be ready to use right out of the box. I bought 2 sets of blades for my Delta 6” jointer (it’s a 1990 model), and both were ready to use right then, and sharp as a razor… So it sounds like you got the shaft, and they got the goldmine….... I’d send them back and raise h..l til tI was satisified one way or another… either replace or re-fund…. your choice, dude…....These companies are tearing us a new oriface, like we really need another one….... Good luck in your endevors, and GO CARDINALS !!!!!!!

-- " I started with nothing, and I've still got most of it left".......

#4 posted 04-29-2010 04:24 PM

I am returning these for a refund. I have also located a tooling company just a few miles from my house that will take off the street customers for sharpening service. I won’t get my old blades back for a week but they are going to sharpen all three for $13. I didn’t shop around but it sounds like a good deal to me.

You know come to think of it I bought a 10” Freud TS blade last year that lost a tooth the first time I used it. I just took it back for replacement. Somehow they have built a respected name but I am having pretty bad luck with these guys. The replacement TS blade has giving me no trouble.

Go CARDS!

#5 posted 04-29-2010 08:16 PM

Brain I appreciate you sharing you sharing your jig. Thanks.

I’m not sure I follow your logic with your comments on this review though. I bought brand new blades that should have been and were advertised to be razor sharp. Under your logic if I was an auto mechanic who purchased a new car and that car wouldn’t run well enough to make if off the lot, as a mechanic I should repair the car myself and over look that it wouldn’t function.

These knives have little value to me other than to be sharp. My current set has been nicked and even with your jig I would spend a very long time rubbing away metal before they were ready to go.

I’m afraid your missing the point of my blade review.

#6 posted 04-29-2010 09:56 PM

Uhhh…hey guys, if you’re supposed to sharpen when cutters are dull, then why buy a new set of cutters in the first place? Spaids had the right to expect premium performance from a name-brand product. Failing that, he had the right to expect premium performance from Freud customer service. They fell down on both counts.

#7 posted 04-29-2010 10:27 PM

Brian,

Having this conversation in the forum if I had asked a question about a sharpening service would be appropriate. As this is a review about new jointer blades that were in a condition left by poor quality control, then I think this conversation is off topic and inappropriate for a review. Since we are having the conversation anyway I’m just going to say that I disagree with you. I personally sharpen my plane blades, chisels and card scrappers. The chisels and plane blades I hone all shave hair almost without even touching it. I am perfectly capable of taking care of my own tools.

Dropping off the Freud blades will be done at the UPS store located in the grocery store that I already frequent. The shipping is being paid for by the seller. I don’t even have to fill out a packing slip or address. It it is effortless for me to return these and even if it wasn’t I would never give my money to a company that had not earned it.

My thickness planer blades are of a design that they can not be sharpened. The only blades that I own that I do not sharpen myself are my jointer knives. The blades on my jointer now have lasted a long time. I can have them sharpened at a shop that is on my way home from work for $13. Or I can build your jig and buy some wet/dry fine grit sand paper and spend a long time working on these. Like I said, they have somehow been nicked. Thats great that you sharpen yours. I’m not gonna mess with mine.

View ACP's profile

ACP

#8 posted 04-29-2010 11:52 PM

I’m with Spaids on this. If you buy a new blade it should be sharp. Handplanes and chisels are in a different category. Would you want a bunch of dull router bits. A dull saw blade? My Ridgid planer blades require the utmost caution out of the package so I don’t cut myself. That’s the way they should be. I think your being ridiculous Brian. Good review Spaids. You covered the product, the problem, your attempted solution with the company, their lack of concern and the ultimate finale. I appreciate the review.

#9 posted 04-30-2010 12:56 AM

Reminds me of the time I bought a Forstner bit from WoodCraft and it was dull as could be right out of the box …..They told me that after spending $35 on the bit , I would need to sharpen and hone it myself ! : (

Spaids is correct in his review of this item , Brian , and wasn’t asking for info on how to sharpen brand new knives from you or anyone else. I thank you for your links and maybe you could post them in a seperate forum here on LJs for those that ARE interested in sharpening their own knives , blades , etc.. Peace

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

2386 posts in 2095 days

#10 posted 04-30-2010 04:39 AM

In the words of Scotty in the new Star Trek movie.. “I like this ship. It’s very exciting”.

View Misesfan's profile

Misesfan

#11 posted 04-30-2010 08:05 AM

I agree with Brian, even though my skill with sharpening technique is poor. However, lets assume that we disregard the quality of the blade for a moment. The fact is the customer service that the OP received when he complained was piss poor. By arrogantly stating that no one complains about Freud blades, not only smacks of an elitist attitude, but is arguably ignorant. Frankly I know of nothing manufactured on this planet that is machined to 100% perfection.

To me, a first class service experience would have acknowledged the issue and given a couple of different options – replacement (RMA) or (outside the box thinking here) how about some free instructions of how to sharpen Freud planer blades. If they manufactured their own jig for this technique, how about throwing that in? There are many ways to display excellent service to a customer – and this is what separates world class best in biz companies from those simply in the race.

View ACP's profile

ACP

#12 posted 04-30-2010 09:48 AM

So if a shop, not just a hobbyist shop but a professional shop gets a set of dull blades they should halt production to sharpen or hone the planer blades? Not likely. Time lost is money lost. Your logic just makes no sense to me. I read all your posts on this topic. Freud is known for top of the line blades, for them to sell dull planer blades is ricidulous. It’s like buying a set of dull razor blades.

View Cato's profile

Cato

641 posts in 1970 days

#13 posted 04-30-2010 12:59 PM

I would definitely agree that Spaids should have gotten what he paid for, and while sharpening edges on our tools is a valuable skill and a potential time and money saver, on principle alone I would do as he and return the set of blades for a refund.

I understand what Garagewoodworks is pointing out, and yeah if you were in the trade and had to use them right then that would be one thing. However, give an inch and they will take a mile comes to mind, and so back they should go.

View john's profile

john

#14 posted 04-30-2010 03:59 PM

I have never had a problem with any of their blades so because 1 person doesn,t like them doesn,t mean they are sh#t

-- John in Belgrave (Website) http://www.extremebirdhouse.com , http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=112698715866

#15 posted 04-30-2010 04:49 PM

Well… y’know…Maybe one set of bad blades from this manufacturer constitutes a Freudian Slip??? Hawwwwka-Hawwwka! Uuhhh…or is that the type of stone you sharpen them with?