Ridgid EB4424 Oscillating Edge Belt / Spindle Sander

Review by Steven H posted 04-29-2010 04:33 AM 5797 views 0 times favorited 26 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ridgid EB4424 Oscillating Edge Belt / Spindle Sander Ridgid EB4424 Oscillating Edge Belt / Spindle Sander Ridgid EB4424 Oscillating Edge Belt / Spindle Sander Click the pictures to enlarge them

After 3 times of returning and changing, finally got one that works. The first one had trouble with knob adjustments. Second one had metal shaving coming out, adjustments didn’t work.
——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

Pros:

-Easy changing.
-Great accessories storage.
-Good price
-It has BOTH a belt sander and a spindle sander in one package.

Cons:

-Table scratches very easily.
-Poor dust collection

View Steven H's profile

Steven H

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

2570 posts in 1990 days

#1 posted 04-29-2010 04:42 AM

I use mine quite a bit and I like it. I haven’t had a tracking problem with it yet and the adjustment knob works fine. I read about another fellow who had a tracking problem with his and he took it back and had it exchanged for a new one. He said that solved the problem. I bet you will find yours to be very handy to have around.

View Juansnapon's profile

Juansnapon

#2 posted 04-29-2010 05:11 AM

Good deal on the sander in case you did not know Home Depot will take competitor coupons and I know Harbor Freight tools has one for 20% off. I got my sander a few months ago and it works great with no problems and it was a returned item so I only payed $140 for it.

-- Juan, Fresno CA.

View Steven H's profile

Steven H

#3 posted 04-29-2010 05:17 AM

Wow I totally forgot about that.
Do you know if Lowes will take it also?

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

2570 posts in 1990 days

#4 posted 04-29-2010 05:27 AM

The Lowe’s near me has honored the HF 20% off coupon but the guy didn’t seem to like it much. The Post Office has change of address kits with a 10% off Lowe’s coupon.

5386 posts in 1918 days

#5 posted 04-29-2010 05:57 AM

FWIW, if the tracking adjustment knob doesn’t work, take it back and get one that does… My EB4424 has been flawless aside from stupid operator tricks since the day I bought it… (You know a edge belt sander can rip material straight from your hand and hurl it across the shop if you aren’t careful?)

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5178 posts in 1994 days

#6 posted 04-29-2010 06:16 AM

I use mine quite frequently and have not had any tracking problem whatsoever. I bought mine with a $100 gift card and it was on sale at the time for $179 …so I only had to pay $79 out-of-pocket. I bought 4 sets of spindle sander paper recently, so I should be OK for a while. The beelts are pretty much standard so they will always be able to find.
It is a good idea to hook it up to your dust collection system. I hooked mine up and it it keeps it fairly dust free.

-- We all must start somewhere in our journey of doing what we love to do.

View Rick's profile

Rick

#7 posted 04-29-2010 09:47 AM

Steve: Thanks for posting this. I’ve been looking at this one for a month or so now. I downloaded the Parts Manual & Parts List from Ridgid’s Site. Sounds like , from the other LJ’s comments as well that this is a “Must Have”!!

I was also concerned about the Dust Collection but think I can find a solution for it.

Juan: You’re getting all kinds of Great Deals. I just saw your new Ridigid Drill Press. NICE!

One little problem. Up here (Canada) they’re listed at Home Depot for $249.00 EH! Maybe even at that price it’s still worth it.

Rick

-- COMMON SENSE Is Like Deodorant. The People Who need It Most, Never Use It.

#8 posted 04-29-2010 01:57 PM

I have the same sander for about a year now.
I use it a lot and I am delighted with it, never had any belt tracking issue.
It works faultlessly.
I bought mine used for $100.00
I buy the sleeves at HF but I mostly use the belt.

View karl roth's profile

karl roth

#9 posted 04-29-2010 02:47 PM

i’ve bought one recently as well. so far so good. when i first used it i found that the adjustment knob was quite sensitive, made smaller adjustments and that did the do as they say.

View araldite's profile

araldite

187 posts in 2090 days

#10 posted 04-29-2010 05:35 PM

I’ve also had mine for about a year and haven’t had any tracking problems. I think it’s a great tool for the money and use it all the time.

View BigG's profile

BigG

#11 posted 04-29-2010 06:01 PM

Since I’m not too adept with my bandsaw or the jigsaw, this sander saves my bacon!

-- Big G

View Don Newton's profile

Don Newton

#12 posted 04-29-2010 07:21 PM

Five stars and there is a feature that was “a pain in the butt” and didn’t work! Might be a bit generous?

-- Don, Pittsburgh

View scopemonkey's profile

scopemonkey

#13 posted 04-30-2010 03:29 PM

Have it. Use it often. Love it.
No problems after a few years of use. 5 stars is warranted.

-- GSY from N. Idaho

View Geedubs's profile

Geedubs

143 posts in 1915 days

#14 posted 04-30-2010 04:08 PM

Agree with positive comments. I bought mine in virtually ‘new’ condition from a guy off of Craigslist for $120 a few months ago (with extra belts!). This has been one of the best investments I have made.

-- Todos los dias aprendemos algo nuevo.

#15 posted 05-01-2010 05:06 AM

After owning and using mine for over a year now , I would rate it just under 5 full stars and that is due to the sloppy miter gauge slot. Other than that , I’ve had no tracking issues or paper availability problems or dust collection issues. Money well spent , but I wish I had known about the coupon from Harbor Freight that HD honors ….Enjoy your new toy !!