Ridgid EB4424 Oscillating Edge Belt / Spindle Sander

Review by Steven H posted 1582 days ago 5608 views 0 times favorited 26 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ridgid EB4424 Oscillating Edge Belt / Spindle Sander Ridgid EB4424 Oscillating Edge Belt / Spindle Sander Ridgid EB4424 Oscillating Edge Belt / Spindle Sander Click the pictures to enlarge them

After 3 times of returning and changing, finally got one that works. The first one had trouble with knob adjustments. Second one had metal shaving coming out, adjustments didn’t work.
——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

Pros:

-Easy changing.
-Great accessories storage.
-Good price
-It has BOTH a belt sander and a spindle sander in one package.

Cons:

-Table scratches very easily.
-Poor dust collection

View Steven H's profile (online now)

Steven H

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

2570 posts in 1936 days

I use mine quite a bit and I like it. I haven’t had a tracking problem with it yet and the adjustment knob works fine. I read about another fellow who had a tracking problem with his and he took it back and had it exchanged for a new one. He said that solved the problem. I bet you will find yours to be very handy to have around.

View Juansnapon's profile

Juansnapon

Good deal on the sander in case you did not know Home Depot will take competitor coupons and I know Harbor Freight tools has one for 20% off. I got my sander a few months ago and it works great with no problems and it was a returned item so I only payed $140 for it.

-- Juan, Fresno CA.

View Steven H's profile (online now)

Steven H

Wow I totally forgot about that.
Do you know if Lowes will take it also?

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

2570 posts in 1936 days

The Lowe’s near me has honored the HF 20% off coupon but the guy didn’t seem to like it much. The Post Office has change of address kits with a 10% off Lowe’s coupon.

FWIW, if the tracking adjustment knob doesn’t work, take it back and get one that does… My EB4424 has been flawless aside from stupid operator tricks since the day I bought it… (You know a edge belt sander can rip material straight from your hand and hurl it across the shop if you aren’t careful?)

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5012 posts in 1941 days

I use mine quite frequently and have not had any tracking problem whatsoever. I bought mine with a $100 gift card and it was on sale at the time for $179 …so I only had to pay $79 out-of-pocket. I bought 4 sets of spindle sander paper recently, so I should be OK for a while. The beelts are pretty much standard so they will always be able to find.
It is a good idea to hook it up to your dust collection system. I hooked mine up and it it keeps it fairly dust free.

View Rick's profile

Rick

Steve: Thanks for posting this. I’ve been looking at this one for a month or so now. I downloaded the Parts Manual & Parts List from Ridgid’s Site. Sounds like , from the other LJ’s comments as well that this is a “Must Have”!!

I was also concerned about the Dust Collection but think I can find a solution for it.

Juan: You’re getting all kinds of Great Deals. I just saw your new Ridigid Drill Press. NICE!

One little problem. Up here (Canada) they’re listed at Home Depot for $249.00 EH! Maybe even at that price it’s still worth it.

Rick

-- COMMON SENSE Is Like Deodorant. The People Who need It Most, Never Use It.

I have the same sander for about a year now.
I use it a lot and I am delighted with it, never had any belt tracking issue.
It works faultlessly.
I bought mine used for $100.00
I buy the sleeves at HF but I mostly use the belt.

View karl roth's profile

karl roth

i’ve bought one recently as well. so far so good. when i first used it i found that the adjustment knob was quite sensitive, made smaller adjustments and that did the do as they say.

View araldite's profile

araldite

187 posts in 2036 days

I’ve also had mine for about a year and haven’t had any tracking problems. I think it’s a great tool for the money and use it all the time.

View BigG's profile

BigG

Since I’m not too adept with my bandsaw or the jigsaw, this sander saves my bacon!

-- Big G

View Don Newton's profile

Don Newton

Five stars and there is a feature that was “a pain in the butt” and didn’t work! Might be a bit generous?

-- Don, Pittsburgh

View scopemonkey's profile

scopemonkey

Have it. Use it often. Love it.
No problems after a few years of use. 5 stars is warranted.

-- GSY from N. Idaho

View Geedubs's profile

Geedubs

Agree with positive comments. I bought mine in virtually ‘new’ condition from a guy off of Craigslist for $120 a few months ago (with extra belts!). This has been one of the best investments I have made.

-- Todos los dias aprendemos algo nuevo.

After owning and using mine for over a year now , I would rate it just under 5 full stars and that is due to the sloppy miter gauge slot. Other than that , I’ve had no tracking issues or paper availability problems or dust collection issues. Money well spent , but I wish I had known about the coupon from Harbor Freight that HD honors ….Enjoy your new toy !!