Dremel Multi-Max is made from concentrated AWESOME!

Review by spaids posted 1547 days ago 3797 views 0 times favorited 25 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dremel Multi-Max is made from concentrated AWESOME! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Multi-Max

My wife bought me this as a thank you for putting some French doors in for her. I’ve only used it a couple times and both times my jaw dropped.

First use:
I was installing a fan in a gas fireplace and the electric was never run for it when they built the house. The location where the power was needed was impossible to get to. My options were to remove the fireplace, run the power, and reinstall the fireplace. YUCK Or cross my fingers and try some magic. I go into the basement and after taking several measurements I determine that I need to cut an opening up through the basement ceiling at a spot where I have to stand on a step ladder and reach out over the edge of the foundation wall into a small cavity and cut up through about an inch and a half of wood. The Multi-Max lets you put the blade on in any direction so I was able to turn it 90 degrees to the handle. Its the only cutting tool on earth that could have done this job and it DID do it. It cut through like butter and I slipped the power through right where I needed it.

Second use:
I almost forgot about the Multi-Max and its sanding attachment. I can’t believe all the hand sanding I’ve done when I could have used the Multi-Max. I pulled it out last night and I was shocked how fast it removed material with the 150 grit pad. Tough sanding in tight spots where you can’t really get much hand movement will never be tough again.

I am very satisfied with this thing. I can’t speak to its longevity yet as I haven’t worked very hard to this point. I can say when I have needed it (or at least remembered I have it) this thing has made easy quick work of its job which its why its never works hard. Just whip it out and done. Now I see how the other brand got away with charging a million dollars for these. If I had known how awesome they were I would have spent the money. Thanks to Dremel I don’t have to.

View David "Lucky Dawg" Brown's profile

David "Lucky Dawg" Brown

i have been drooling over these little tools for months now!!!
Thanks for the review!
when doing remodels and some of the situations I get into
this would be an awesome remedy!

-- dumpster diver delux

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

From my perspective, this would be a great tool for some projects around the house or for some remodeling projects. I don’t see much application to woodworking other than sanding in tight spots and their are other (cheaper) ways to do that.

Correct me if you think I am wrong.

spaids

Rich, I won’t correct you but I will ask you to donate your knowledge. What are your tight spot sanding solutions?

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

I use a Skil Octo sander. The bottom is shaped like the bottom of clothes iron and I can get the point into corners and tight spots. There are even a set of attachments that let me get even further into tight spots. I don’t recall what I paid, but I think it was in the $60 range.

I’m a big fan of ROSs and I only use the Skil Octo sander in places that I cannot reach with the ROS.

spaids

Its true if you are only interested in sanding there are other methods. You can also say that about any tool. There are always other methods and with each on its own there will likely be cheaper tools also. The number of things this tool can do make it a must have for me. It can be a powered flush cut trim saw, a paint stripper, a …. on and on. If you can’t imagine ways where you would use it, thats ok. I don’t own stock in Dremel. I can say now that I have mine I love it and plan to keep my mind open about what applications I can use it for.

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

thank´s for this first empression rewiew of a new tool
and I´m sure it can do what you say that I wont quistion, but there is at least
a few other tools in the world there will overmatch this tool, soo I have to
desagree with your own writen words “Its the only cutting tool on earth that could have done this job “

I have the Fine model and that will outmatch the Dremel at anytime
except in one point , and that is allso the Fine´s worst enemy THE PRIZE

Dennis

View Brandon Hintz's profile

Brandon Hintz

I’ve had mine for about 9 months now and I can say that after mild amount of use compared to my other tools the speed control/ or motor burned up, but I called dremel and they said to return it even though I didn’t have my reciept (this was last week) so we’ll how well their customer/ repair service is.

-- Potential is limited only by imagination

View chrisstef's profile (online now)

chrisstef

From the demo contractor,

I had a job at a local YMCA where the grout was failing between all the floor and wall tile and these bad boys were the solution. They have a little attachment that grinds back and forht and we removed every inch of grout in that locker room in 3 days … worked very well and held up to the abuse from demo guys great.

-- "there aren’t many hand tools as awe-inspiring as the #8 jointer. I mean, it just reeks of cast iron heft and hubris" - Smitty

View JonSnc1's profile

JonSnc1

I’ve got the Harbor Freight version, which only cost about $30 with coupon, IIRC. I’ve played with the Dremel at the local Home Depot to compare it, they let me cut and sand some scrap wood. I’d say they do the job pretty much the same, but the HF is definitely louder and a little rougher, ie. more vibration. The vibration is more of an annoyance, doesn’t seem cut any differently. For an occasional use type of tool, the HF is a good option. If I used it alot, I’d probably spring for the Dremel, it’d be a more enjoyable tool to use.

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

1002 posts in 2081 days

I ordered a reconditioned one from Amazon last Saturday to remove grout from tile in my bathrooms. I’m expecting good things.

View PCM's profile

PCM

I have had one for about one year. It works reasonably well but the saw blade has a tendency to vibrate off. I solved this problem by using machine lock washers.

View Ryan Brown's profile

Ryan Brown

Bought mine when they first came out and have used it for sanding, cutting and scraping. Love it.

-- If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem. Roanoke, VA

View FJPetruso's profile (online now)

FJPetruso

Wow!!! You can buy a couple of Dremel Kits or a half dozen disposable HF tools for the cost of a Fein Multimaster. I tried the Dremel out at Home Depot too and after using it I just can’t see how Fein justifies a price difference of that much. I don’t need one right now but when I see a Dremel on sale I just might treat myself to a new tool.

-- Frank, Florissant, Missouri "The New Show-Me Woodshop"

View mrg's profile

mrg

I have the Multi-Max and love it. When I originally bought it my wife was asking me what I was going to do with it. I was I don’t know but I like it. I had gotten a rebate from home depot for buying some tools and so i applied it to get the Multi_Max , ended up costing me $25.00. I got it home and was doing some renovations around the house, new moldings and some repairs and the tool came in handy for cutting the door sills and transitions between the floors between my kitchen and living room. I use this tool for everything.

-- mrg

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

I picked up the $39.00 model from Harbor Freight a few months ago and I can not agree with you more, owning this type of tool is fantastic! They are so handy to have around I can’t believe I didn’t pick one up a few years ago for a gazillion dollars. I break the tool out for cutting and sanding needs on a regular basis and it does work no other tool I own can do. It is an extremely handy detail sander and I have found myself using it to sand face frames on a regular basis.