The Foredom THX Industrial Grinder is a Non-Stop, Go Fast Woodcarver!

Review by Charles Brock posted 1553 days ago 4771 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Foredom THX Industrial Grinder is a Non-Stop, Go Fast Woodcarver! The Foredom THX Industrial Grinder is a Non-Stop, Go Fast Woodcarver! The Foredom THX Industrial Grinder is a Non-Stop, Go Fast Woodcarver! Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am a professional woodworker with 30 years experience, a teacher and publisher of the Build A Maloof Inspired Furniture Series. Each instructional bundle in the series includes a DVD, book, full-size patterns and on-line support. The newest bundle (available soon) in the series is Build A Maloof Inspired Low Back Dining Chair with Charles Brock.

Ben Arthur is one of the woodcarving specialists at Highland Woodworking’s store in Atlanta. I told him I wanted to improve my chair carving speed, but keep the control of my hand tools and much as possible. He said the way to go was the Foredom THX Industrial grinder. He went through the list of features and benefits over other power carving die grinders. I would have more power at 1/3 HP, a longer shaft so the tool would be able to go where I wanted it to go and the motor (all ball bearing, nonreversable) and handpiece (uses 1/8 and 1/4” collets) would keep going and going and going! As of three years ago I had not invested into heavy duty power woodcarving gear with the exception of my trusted, dust spewing Makita grinder with a Kutzall carbide wheel. I had a underpowered no name house brand flex shaft grinder that just never smiled at me. It was time to trade up. I had developed most of my rocker’s lines and knew where my chair was in each part. I wanted to get there more quickly.

Ben’s guidance was outstanding. It is a real INDUSTRIAL powerhouse. Needless to say I customized it a little like any good woodworker will do. I don’t like foot pedal type speed controls. Even though the one that comes with it is HEAVY DUTY, I ordered a bench-top model that is special for this model’s motor. Every cutter and every material has a best cutting speed. My idea is to find it and set it and use it! My idea was to hang it on a stand with wheels so I could move it around the shop and around the chair that is placed on a platform.
Homemade, Go Fast, Umbrella .........Stand
The homemade, go-fast, non-titanium, backyard variety, tri-wheeled, movable die grinder stand is a strange bird. My wife demanded I do something with the old, extra large, cast iron, patio, umbrella stand lurching in our backyard. Trash or Treasure? I saw it as a stand for the Foredom. I cut out a circle of 3/4” plywood, attached 3 heavy duty casters, of course I removed the umbrella and turned a cherry stopper for the hole and drilled a hole in the stopper to accept the Foredom Motor hanger. Using a few rare earth magnets I am able to keep my wrench and my most used burrs handy. The bench clamp that came with the hanger pole is used to clamp the speed control at a perfect height.One of my rocker students who is a dentist by day bought an IV stand for his and it works real well. I use mostly 1/4” burrs and shafted tools with the grinder.

It is perfect! Doesn’t bog down or let me down, while it cheerfully roles over chords and such on its way to work. Thanks, Ben Arthur!

My favorite tandem is the Festool RAS 115 (See earlier review) for the heavy shaping and fast stock removal and the Foredom THX for the details.

-- Charles Brock

View Charles Brock's profile

Charles Brock

View  Box 's profile

Box

4937 posts in 1910 days

I agree that the Foredom grinder is an excellent tool. I bought one a couple of years ago after meeting with a wood carver in Tennessee during a trip. It was the first eelectric wood carving tool I owned and I am glad I took his advice and bought the Foredom. Top notch tool.
I also bought the Festool RAS115 just last week to replace a Hitachi grinder. The difference is night and day.

View Rj's profile

Rj

I also own the foredom THX and really like it (Needless to say I have’t used it as much as I’d like) But I agree its all Charles says it is ! Charles I’m curious as to what type of grinding burs Ect. you use and what types would you recommend getting?

Thanks for the great review!!

-- Rj's Woodworks,San Jose & Weed Ca,