You don't get what you paid for!

Review by Binn posted 1536 days ago 5139 views 0 times favorited 45 comments Add to Favorites Watch
You don't get what you paid for! You don't get what you paid for! You don't get what you paid for! Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this Panel saw in November 09 because I have a Laguna HD band saw already. So based on buying previus tools of Laguna I thought they made all good machinery. Well, not so!. When putting this saw together and installing the extended table and tighting the allen set screws it begin to warp the main body of saw so I had to back off, weird uh? I could not understand what was going on with this. Then the main support arm had issues such as you slide the table back and forth you could feel a bumping going on, I contacted the sales person, technical support, and others trying to figure out what was wrong. They never could give me an answer, I finally figured it out on my own. The rollers in the arm were not correctly aligned with the bar that goes in and out supporting the slide extentsion table. Then when it came to cutting materials it would NOT cut 1/2” plywood without bogging down (chinese motors). Apparently it did not have the tork to cut. Also the slideing table locking mechanism would not hold the table from moving, it was a poor design. All this time within 5 months calling and calling and trying to get these issues resolved with the sales person, technical support, and others NOTHING got resolved. And of course I had to do all the calling!. The sales person said that laguna was building more panels saws with a Leeson 4 hp motors instead of the chinese motors that would come in the next shipment and promised me one, but I would have to wait another 6 weeks and so I waited. Well , I never got it. He kept giving me excuses after excuses and then wanted me to wait another 6 weeks for the next few saws that were coming. Again I waited!, and again NO saw. After about 4-1/2 months of NOT being able to do any work in my shop because I had a saw that DID NOT WORK I lost 5 months of income based on using my shop. I finally got to the point of just getting my money back and forgetting these people. Laguna does not build these saws in Bulgaria anymore, they are built in Taiwan because the sales person told me it was based on cheaper dollar, and apparently cheaper machinery. And all this time I had to pay my shop helper to work with me to put this saw together. Also it cost me $75.00 in materials and the cost to hire my help to recrate this machinery in order to send back to Laguna. I also had to threaten them of contacting my attorney because they were at first going to charge me to ship this equipment back to them. So, as of today I still don’t have the saw I need and I have to start looking all over again if I can find one I can afford. The photos above show the condition of the pallets that Laguna shiped my saw on, they could not hold the weight and damaged the saws exterior metal and logo. They use light weight pallets and never did replace the logo after agreeing to do so.

-- Barry, Louisiana

View Binn's profile

Binn

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

So sorry to hear about the trouble you had with this saw. I have heard about other people buying Laguna equipment and having problems with them. Good to see you are giving them some free advertising. Have a nice day!

God Bless
tom

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View EEngineer's profile

EEngineer

I’m not sure I understood the previous comment. Free advertising? How many Laguna panel saws do you think he helped sell today?

I think the reviews on LJs are particularly valuable. How many of the reviews from sites that make their living selling the equipment can you trust?

-- "Find out what you cannot do and then go do it!"

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

I was suggesting that the Free advertising would be All Bad.

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View Julian's profile

Julian

I must say that from reading all the NEGATIVE reviews about the chinese made laguna line that they all sound poorly machined. That coupled with a seemingly inept customer service department really makes me cringe when I read these reviews. I would spend my hard earned cash on a grizzly panel saw before I would ever think of going with laguna. At least grizzly stands behind their products.

-- Julian, Park Forest, IL

111999 posts in 2160 days

I own some laguna tools and never recomend them.

View cstrang's profile

cstrang

Every time I read a review on Laguna tools there is at least one bad thing about the tool or the customer service. My recommendation is that you try to pressure them into taking the saw back, show them this review and say that all Lj’s take these reviews very seriously, in the matter of seconds you made about 18,000 woodworkers think twice before even looking at this panel saw… or any Laguna tool for that matter. Best of luck getting this matter resolved, keep us posted. Welcome to Lj’s!

-- A hammer dangling from a wall will bang and sound like work when the wind blows the right way.

View Chelios's profile

Chelios

I am in the market for a bandsaw and WAS considering laguna…not anymore. thanks!

View araldite's profile

araldite

187 posts in 1987 days

Wow! That’s an eye opener. Thanks for sharing that with us.

View Walt M.'s profile

Walt M.

A lot of companies are going with the chinese Big mistake IMO

View Moron's profile

Moron

they sure look pretty dont they?

having had my own “issues” with various tool companies I can only offer this advice as per your deserved rant.

Five months of no income/downtime….......go buy a lesson motor and get your saw running, far less costly to buy a motor then have 5 months of no income ..yes?. As for figuring out the “tweeks” I would hire a tecke who specializes in these types of tools. I get a tecki in every year to “tune” my saw, call it preventative maintance.

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View EEngineer's profile

EEngineer

Sorry, ND2ELK (ham?)... I agree.

-- "Find out what you cannot do and then go do it!"

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

Laguna has been off my list for several years. First of all they had a serious decline in their customer service. This was substantiated time and again in these blogs. I have heard rumors that this was due to some form of saboutage (sounds more like a conspiracy theory to me though). Then as stated here, the quality is gone south quickly….so now you get bad product at the price you should pay for a quality product…and lousy customer support….a no win here. Sorry to hear that you were almost burned – glad you got your money back? I typically will not buy from a company after several bad reports until I hear a lot of new praise….let someone else do the experimenting.

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

There have been several write ups regarding the piss poor quality of their machines and I guess the only things of lesser quality are the the people that work for them , or maybe it’s the orders that they have to follow from upper management…......yeah , that’s it !

View Ejc's profile

Ejc

I’m the newbie here, but, if u guys dont mind me saying.
Seems like every time I start feelin good about Laguna, ie. start hearing good customer reviews on thier Cust. Service and machines…......theres a problem like this and their off my list again.
Sorry to hear of your troubles Binn, and im afriad their off the list again, like most people, I work too hard to buy a machine ” on a gamble that everything will be ok”.

.02 E

View thiel's profile

thiel

At this point, I’ve ONLY heard bad things about Laguna tools…. a shame…

-- Laziness minus Apathy equals Efficiency