Good saw, with modifications!

Review by msdameng posted 1550 days ago 6003 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good saw, with modifications! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Straight out of the box you will be dissapointed with this saw. Some of the major flaws are very pronounced vibration above the 1200 spm speed, the blower is not nearly strong enough, the knob to tighten the tilt on the tabletop is made of of soft rubber and will bust if overtightened, also if you plan on using the holddown foot it is almost impossible to get it tight enough to not twist if the piece of wood you’re cutting actually tries to pull up against it. However, I have found that it can be used without too much heartburn if you do the following:

1. Mount it to a heavy stand
2. Remove the hold down foot, throw in in the trash, and learn to hold the wood properly
3. Replace the knob with a regular bolt, this is not a major problem since in most cases you will rarely need to tilt the table anyway.
4. Add a 20-60 gallon dual outlet aquarium pump to help with the blower problem.

Definitely not a Dewalt, but a good saw for the price.

-- Dusty, Mississippi

View msdameng's profile

msdameng

View woody57's profile

woody57

645 posts in 2024 days

a good example of you get what you pay for

-- Emmett, from Georgia

View kosta's profile

kosta

946 posts in 1951 days

I got a task force which is just like the ryobi and I took the hold down off because it was really getting in the way. I have a spot light that I have next to my scroll saw that I use because the built in light would move around when I was cutting.

-- kosta Virginia Beach, VA http://www.kostasworkshop.blogspot.com/

View MyFathersSon's profile

MyFathersSon

180 posts in 1910 days

I removed the foot as well. Other than that I have been pretty well satisfied with the saw.
Of course—it is my first—so I am still going through a learning curve and tend to blame any problems I have on my lack of skill rather than the machine.

-- Those who insist it can't be done - should politely refrain from interrupting those who are doing it.

View John Stegall's profile

John Stegall

The vibration on a scroll saw can also be reduced by mounting it on a box filled with sand. This tip is originally from Nick Engler (Weekend Projects for Woodworkers, hopefully the correct title). I tried it and it did the trick for me.

-- jstegall

View 559dustdesigns's profile

559dustdesigns

I bought one of these saws at a cheap tool sale at the fair grounds. I am pretty sure its a reconditioned saw. This Ryobi scroll saw only cost me $35, couldn’t pass it up for that kind of deal. I have had it about 4 years and hardly ever use it. I did build a table / base for it that’s quite tall about 40” tall. This height works for me being I’m 6’2” tall. My dad had scroll saw around when I was young and I used it a lot. My dads saw didn’t have the variable speed control which I really like about the Ryobi.

-- Aaron - central California "If you haven't got the time to do it right, when will you find the time to do it over?"

View ejpeek's profile

ejpeek

52 posts in 1936 days

I contacted Ryobi support and it seems as though there is a problem with the counter weight and/or bushing. Since we do not have a warranty center close enough to drive to I will be returning this vibrating, wobbly bladed saw to the store and searching for a better scroll saw.

-- "The art of being wise is knowing what to overlook." W.J. http://www.peekservice.net