A great upgrade to a non-riving knife saw

Review by JasonWagner posted 04-24-2010 11:24 PM 6327 views 2 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A great upgrade to a non-riving knife saw A great upgrade to a non-riving knife saw A great upgrade to a non-riving knife saw Click the pictures to enlarge them

Product web page: www.leestyron.com

I have wanted to order a Shark Guard from Lee for quite some time. One night this winter I went for it. At the time he said (on the webpage) the wait was about 3-4 weeks. I didn’t get a confirmation email (maybe it got filtered) and somewhere around two months later I got the shipping notice for the guard. I didn’t try to contact Lee myself so I’m not really complaining.

The whole thing came in about two days from the shipping notice. It was packaged sufficiently with enough protection and all the pieces were safe. I got this for my Grizzly G1023SLWX that I bought just before the riving knife mandate. I usually used the factory guard, but the three bolts were a pain and for non-through cuts I didn’t have any splitter. This package included the tall splitter and Lexan guard, another tall splitter without a guard so I could cut with a higher blade height and a shorty splitter that is for non-through cuts. The three bolts are replaced by one ratchet type handle so it’s easy enough to switch that you won’t have the excuse that, “it’s a pain”.

The other cool thing about adding this guard is that I now have dust collection above the blade. With zero clearance inserts this is great. There is still some dust on the saw, but nothing in the air even while cutting MDF. I attached some pictures of my blower setup split to the cabinet of the saw and the blade guard. I used nylon string to hold the hose for the guard and it seems to be working just fine. (by the way, Woodcraft has 10’ pieces of 4” and 2.5” hose on sale 33% off right now!).

One negative I’ve noticed after lots of use is the quick release bolt that holds the splitter on will hit the throat plate if I tilt the blade more than 35 degrees or so. Not a huge problem, but something to improve upon.

So now I have the option to have a splitter no matter what type of cut I do, it’s easy to swap out, and I have better dust collection. I encourage you to look at this package if you have a saw without a riving knife and if you think changing your splitter out it too much of a pain.

View majeagle1's profile

majeagle1

#1 posted 04-24-2010 11:38 PM

Great review Jason, perfect timing for me…... I’ve been meaning to check into somthing like this.

Is the dust collector for your TS “part of the saw package” or is it aftermarket? If so, where did you get it?

Tks for the review

-- Gene, Majestic Eagle Woodworks, http://majesticeagleww.etsy.com/, http://www.flickr.com/photos/majesticeagle/

5386 posts in 1956 days

#2 posted 04-25-2010 01:12 AM

FWIW, Lee makes Shark Guards, and knives for riving knife equipped saws. I have one on my Ryobi BT3100…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

#3 posted 04-25-2010 01:22 AM

Gene – when you say dust collector do you mean the plastic guard? If so, that came with the kit. However, the 1.5 hp Jet dust collector and chip separator shown in the pictures does not come included! Google LeeWay workshop or Shard Guard and you’ll find his web page and what he offers for different saws. You can buy just the splitters or the whole combo pack that I got.

Thanks for the clarification dbhost…I guess you could still use the guard with dust collection for a new fangled riving knife saw.

View bigike's profile

bigike

4033 posts in 2012 days

#4 posted 04-25-2010 01:24 AM

nice review but who sells this system lee valley or someone else?

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop, http://www.icombadaniels@yahoo.com

#5 posted 04-25-2010 01:26 AM

Ike – www.leestyron.com

View majeagle1's profile

majeagle1

#6 posted 04-25-2010 01:51 AM

Jason, yes, thanks…........ i did mean the plastic guard.

Goin’ to check it out !!!

View rockom's profile

rockom

#7 posted 04-25-2010 02:56 AM

I can’t wait to get mine. It’s supposed to be here in a week or two.
I’m putting mine on a Delta Unisaw X5. I purchased the saw without any guard system at all so, I’m patiently waiting for this to arrive before I use the saw.

-Rocko

-- -> Malta, IL -<

#8 posted 04-25-2010 03:12 AM

Good review looks good

View Pete504's profile

Pete504

20 posts in 2060 days

#9 posted 04-25-2010 01:14 PM

I have the Shark Guard and it is an excellent well made accessory. My experience with Lee is very good. He answers emails and is very easy to work with.

View mrg's profile

mrg

#10 posted 04-25-2010 06:24 PM

Glad that you posted the review, I have been back and forth on ordering the setup for my Delta contractors saw that I had bought used. Lee got back to me within hrs of me emailing him o which set-up I needed just haven’t ordered. My question is when does he charge your card, when the order is placed or when it is shipped?

-- mrg

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

2570 posts in 2027 days

#11 posted 04-25-2010 06:24 PM

That sure would be nice to have. Shark Guard It looks like it would run $177.00 with shipping for my Ridgid 3650.

#12 posted 04-25-2010 06:39 PM

mrg – he doesn’t charge you until he’s actually making the guard. you can email him about it. on his web page he even says that you can place your order, then when he gets to making yours you can settle up then.

Abbott – mine was only $144 with shipping, it looks like the Ridgid one has more metal and some different pieces.

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

#13 posted 04-26-2010 12:08 AM

I keep looking at this. All the reviews have been good. I may just get one to use as needed. Not sure what my total system is going to be yet.

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

#14 posted 04-26-2010 02:06 AM

I just used the mini splitter tonight while cutting splines on several 8’ boards that I’m going to join together. I cut 7/16” deep grooves for the splines and the mini splitter goes just low enough to allow this non-through cut. With a feather board in front of the blade, and the splitter supporting the back I easily ran 6” wide boards vertically through the saw without drift.

View burkelyn's profile

burkelyn

#15 posted 04-27-2010 12:41 AM

I too use mini splitters, but I also use board buddies on the same saw. This combination has really made me feel safe. I had one kickback years ago and that was one too many.. lesson learned. I also moved the saw switch to the right as a pinched board tends to kick left, and I further installed a knee switch for safe shut off from just about anywhere … see my posting on this design… you may wish to adapt it for your own saw. I did adapt from one I saw here. Best of Luck and take care when ripping.

“Today I will buy another tool… in my mind”

-- Peter J. Blake, Auburn, ME