New Delta Unisaw

Review by Eric posted 04-24-2010 11:01 AM 7124 views 1 time favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
New Delta Unisaw New Delta Unisaw New Delta Unisaw Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently retired from Air National Guard, after spending 26.5 years on, active duty, reserve or guard. My wife suggested I treat myself to a retirement gift. I suggested a new Delta Unisaw and she said, “Yes”. My reply was “What”? It took me about a month to get over sticker shock and order the saw.

So it was delivered to my garage. Now how to get it into my walk out basement? The big box weighs around 450 pounds. How to get it to my shop in the basement? My wife called a moving company to move it for us. Two young healthy looking guys show up in a Toyota Corolla, between jobs and no other equipment than a pair of gloves. These two guys pick it up and carried it to my shop in the basement. We paid them $100. It was well worth it and my back fells fine. So it sits for a week while I go skiing at Winter Park, CO.

Using both the DVD, video on line and instruction manual, setting it up was quite easy. You can see in one picture, I made a lever to lift it up onto the mobile base. Used my legs and not my back! Had a friend help wire the shop for 220 (actually he did most of the work, I just paid him). Turn it on. Wow! This saw is rock solid. Very smooth compared to my past Rigid and Delta contractor saws. It is, also, a lot quieter. After a few fine adjustments on the fence and riving knife, I am cutting wood. Cross cuts and rips well with the stock Delta blade that comes with the saw.

The saw is connected to a JDS single stage dust collector, also wired to 220. A little more dust than I want to see is escaping the dust collector. You can see in one of the pictures I use aluminum HVAC tape between the cabinet and cast iron top to seal off any open spaces that dust can escape. I, also, tape all the joints inside the cabinet at the base. This greatly helps mitigate the amount of dust that is released into the air.

Except for a few things this saw is great. The speed-o-meter does not give me the precision I want. You can be off by a few tenths of degree. So I purchase a Wixey digital angle gauge. The storage draw will probably be removed to install a router table. It’s either that or install one into my Festool MTF. Just have not decided which one will work best for me. Since I use the miter gauge from the left side of the saw and have installed a 24” extension, the storage slot on the right side is not functional.

Since setting it up, I have made a cross cut sled and an out feed table. These greatly help me with my wood working projects.

-- Eric "That's all very well and human, but when will you stop having to apologize and start doing your very best you can? When will you begin?"

View Eric's profile

Eric

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

#1 posted 04-24-2010 11:51 AM

Good for you, I agree with your wife, you deserve it. Looks like a good unit. Keep us informed how you like it after you use it awhile. I thought about getting one of these saws but did not want to wait for them to come out. When I retired my lovely wife let me put in a whole new shop. God, I love that woman! Have fun with your new toy.

God Bless
tom

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View Joe's profile

Joe

#2 posted 04-24-2010 01:02 PM

Welcome to the UNI club Eric and thank you for your service. I posted a review on mine a while back we must think alike; our first paragraph is very similar.

I plan on doing an update on mine now that I have had it for several months. Most reviews are 5 stars when the tool is new but I like follow up’s to see how it works after the new wears off.

Congrats on your new saw brother….

-- Senior Chief

View grub32's profile

grub32

#3 posted 04-24-2010 03:10 PM

That sure is a beauty…Very creative way to lift it also.

Enjoy,

Grub

-- Science Teacher by Day, Wood Butcher by Night!!

View bigike's profile

bigike

4035 posts in 2037 days

#4 posted 04-24-2010 03:13 PM

very nice review, enjoy the saw.

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop, http://www.icombadaniels@yahoo.com

View Rick  Dennington's profile

Rick Dennington

3613 posts in 1943 days

#5 posted 04-24-2010 03:47 PM

Greetings Eric….... I can tell you right off that you’re gonna really like this saw. Last July, ‘09, I bought a new 5 Hp. Uni X5, and this sucker is a beast !!!! Like you, one of the first things I did was tape off all the “escape” routes for dust loss… everywhere. This helps so much that eveyone needs to do this to their saws…. makes it easier on the lungs….... I can’t stagger this puppy with anything I cut….. you’ll see !!! It does everything it’s supposed to, and more…. Have fun, be safe, and build plenty of jigs and fixtures for it, and you’re good to go..

-- " I started with nothing, and I've still got most of it left".......

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#6 posted 04-24-2010 04:32 PM

Eric, congrats on your new Unisaw.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View mmax's profile

mmax

#7 posted 04-24-2010 05:13 PM

Congrats on the saw and thank you for your service.

-- Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else

View MedicKen's profile

MedicKen

#8 posted 04-25-2010 03:40 AM

Eric…..Congrats on the new unisaw. I love mine and its 40+ yrs old. I would also like to thank you for your service to me and the rest of our country. Enjoy the new toy and may the sawdust fly soon.

-- My job is to give my kids things to discuss with their therapist....medic20447@gmail.com

#9 posted 04-25-2010 03:45 AM

Congrats on your shiny new toy

View danr's profile

danr

152 posts in 1934 days

#10 posted 04-26-2010 04:11 AM

Very nice saw you have there. I purchased mine about 8 months ago and thus far, I am very pleased with fit/finish/operation. I have not yet “sealed” mine up for better dust collection but I am fairly happy with the “out of the box” dust collection with a 3HP cyclone attatched.

Enjoy,
Have fun,
Safty first,

danr

View scarpenter002's profile

scarpenter002

#11 posted 01-03-2011 10:32 AM

Very nice looking saw. You owe your wife big time for both the saw approval and the moving guys. What a lady!!

-- Scott in Texas