The Best Blades hands down!

Review by bigike posted 04-24-2010 05:02 AM 4115 views 2 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Best Blades hands down! The Best Blades hands down! No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The other day I bought one of these new pinnacle blades along with a hock blade for my new record planes you see in the pics. I got this blade after getting the email update from rob cosman with a link to youtube and the vid was him cutting or should i say shaving a piece of wood with an old stanley #4, he was getting full width shavings from the wood. I couldn’t belive my eyes with a stanley i thought no way so i thought it was a vid on how to sharpen the blades to get shavings like that, then through the vid he explains how it’s just a new blade in an old plane he got from ebay. I then thought he must have ran a lie nielson plane over the wood then the stanley with the new blade to get those shavings. Long story short i got the blades put in my new plane and after two or three strokes across a piece of pine i was getting the full shavings too for the first time since i bought any of my planes now i was excited i got a piece of hard maple samething full width thin shavings i was sold from there on. Trust me it’s hard to get me to buy something i seen a established woodworker put his or her name on or endorse i think of every way to put it down or not buy it. Well i can say this before you go buy a lie nielson plane try these blades you will not be dissapointed. By the way did i mention i never honed the blade either, if you run your finger across it very carefully you see and feel it’s razor sharp. I also did the same with the hock blade and i also got good shavings too not full width but tissue thin atleast 1 ply tissue. I wold give pinnacle blades four stars just cuz there are haters for everything out there but i want to see what’s to hate about these blades? THANKS for the look! ;)

BUYEM & TRYEM!

View Rick Boyett's profile

Rick Boyett

#1 posted 04-24-2010 02:58 PM

Is this the one with the new tabbed chip breaker?

#2 posted 04-24-2010 03:20 PM

Oh yea, i don’t understand how the tabs work, besides what was explained in the vid http://us.mg2.mail.yahoo.com/dc/launch?.gx=1&.rand=2b7m6ad0e90v8 heres a link to it i sould have put it with the review. I’m gonna try and make my way over to woodcraft today and see if i can get a blade chipbreaker set and i’ll do a review on those too.

View Millo's profile

Millo

#3 posted 04-24-2010 03:51 PM

I think the link you included was for your yahoo mail account.

Thanks for the review

View araldite's profile

araldite

187 posts in 2055 days

#4 posted 04-24-2010 07:09 PM

Thanks for the review. I was unfamiliar with this product. I like restoring vintage planes for my personal use. I’m definitely giving this blade a try.

View Marc5's profile

Marc5

304 posts in 1994 days

#5 posted 04-25-2010 03:46 AM

I have yet to use Pinnacle blades. I have used Hock blades and chip breakers for the old Stanley’s I have purchased in the past. Based on your review I may try the blade on a #4 I just purchased. Thanks for the review.

-- Marc

112079 posts in 2229 days

#6 posted 04-25-2010 03:52 AM

Thanks Ike good review

View DaleM's profile

DaleM

913 posts in 2035 days

#7 posted 04-25-2010 02:54 PM

I think I just might have to try one of these. I don’t understand your problems with the old Stanley blades though, because I think they are good steel when sharpened well so it sounds like maybe you need some practice sharpening maybe? I don’t mean to sound like an ass, but since you have better luck with blades that came sharpened from the dealer than you have had with blades that you sharpened yourself, I think you need to spend some more time on developing your skills before you review old Stanley blades because I get “full width shavings” with mine all the time. I also get “full width shavings” with a cheap Buck Brothers and a cheap Ace Hardware plane, although they don’t hold an edge as long. Any blade will take an edge if you know how to sharpen, it’s just that some will not stay sharp as long as others.

-- Dale Manning, Carthage, NY

#8 posted 04-25-2010 02:58 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKotbPE22lo sorry heres the link. I have no problem sharpening blades now i just use the old stanley’s to camber so i have a blade with a camber for all my planes in different degrees.

View dragondncr's profile

dragondncr

38 posts in 2081 days

#9 posted 05-21-2010 04:03 AM

I’m glad to hear these are worth the money. I just bought one, (it came with the free DVD). I have not installed it, yet. I’m just glad to see great reviews.

-- dragondncr