Excellent all around blade

Review by MedicKen posted 1552 days ago 3841 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Excellent all around blade No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Over the past year I have heard nothing but praise about the new Freud P410 blade. Freud has touted it as the best all around blade and even “out performs” the Forrest WWII. Not being one to buy into all the hype and jump on the band wagon I figured I would bide my time and wait until I found a new blade at a more affordable price.

I do have a Forrest WWII and I paid a pretty penny for it, however it is a thin kerf blade. I got the thin kerf because at the time I had an under powered saw and I wanted to give the saw every advantage I could.

I have since sold the under powered Craftsman hybrid and it has been replaced by a Delta unisaw of 1968 vintage. It is powered with a 2hp 3ph motor and is the smoothest running and quietest saw I have ever been around. I completely rebuilt the saw myself with new bearings and paint, she looks and runs like new. I did use the WWII with the saw but found the think kerf to be a problem. I had to use blade stiffeners to keep the blade straight. I noticed the blade would rub against the zero clearance insert at full speed. I installed the stiffeners and that all went away.

I wanted to try the new Freud blade for sometime. It has received good reviews from FWW, WOOD mag as well as Popular Woodworking. I happened to run across a few on Ebay and bought one. The price was $30 less than retail so I went for it, $67 with shipping!! The blade came in a factory sealed box with the $99.99 retail sticker still on it. I quickly unwrapped the blade and installed it on the unisaw. As soon as I hit the power I need there would be something special about this blade. As it spun up to speed it was so quiet, much quieter than the Forrest it just replaced. I teeth are extremely sharp, I knicked my hand installing it.

In my first project with the Freud I am very impressed with the quality of cut, after all isn’t that what we are looking for in a good blade? In a side by side comparison with the Forrest, the Freud comes out on top. I have made multiple cuts in 3/4” birch ply and can’t tell the top from the bottom. The cuts are completely chip free. I did notice with the Forrest I would get some chip out on the bottom side, its really bad if there isn’t a ero clearance insert. The comparison is slightly flawed however with the Freud being full kerf and the Forrest being thin kerf, kinda like comparing apples and pears. The Freud has also performed well in ripping thinker stock as well. 8/4 maple was no problem what so ever. The cuts are burn free even with varying feed rates.

I look forward to using this blade for a long time. The test of a good blade is longevity, which I don’t have with this blade yet. I’m hoping it continues to perform as well in a year as it has in the first week. I would say that if you have an opportunity to pick up one of the Freud blades you will not be disappointed.

-- My job is to give my kids things to discuss with their therapist....medic20447@gmail.com

View MedicKen's profile

MedicKen

1599 posts in 2058 days

View Rick's profile

Rick

Thanks for posting this! I was out looking yesterday and it was a toss up between the Freud and the Forrest Blade.

“No Chip out on the underside” is a GREAT THING! FREUD it is, even at regular price!!

OH! Just in case it isn’t as good as you say it is ….may I have your Mailing Address so I know where to send the bill? JUST KIDDING!! ;-}

Rick

-- COMMON SENSE Is Like Deodorant. The People Who need It Most, Never Use It.

View skeeter's profile

skeeter

233 posts in 1937 days

I got a new general table saw last week and bought new zero clearance inserts for it a woodcraft. I was also looking at that blade as well but was running low on dollars in my wallet. I should have got it so I can appriciate my new saw more. nice review

-- My philosophy: Somewhere between Norm and Roy

View sawblade1's profile

sawblade1

Good review I have used Freud blades consistently with all results being above and beyond par being a semi pro woodworker and running a small woodworking business as well they out perform all other blades in my opinion and their price range is affordable also

-- Proverbs Ch:3 vs 5,6,7 Trust in the lord with all thine heart and lean not unto your own understanding but in all your ways aknowledge him and he shall direct your path elmerthomas81@neo.rr.com

View dustbunny's profile

dustbunny

The only thing that is annoying about the red Freud blades is that it will leave red marks
on the wood, easily sanded off, just annoying.
Cuts like a champ.

Lisa

-- Imagination rules the world. ~ Napoleon Bonaparte ~ http://quiltedwood.com

View Frankie Talarico Jr.'s profile

Frankie Talarico Jr.

353 posts in 1953 days

I think the anti-vibration lines around the blade is what makes it cut so well. On my craftsman TS the 40T cuts like a dream, I even had cut some maple thresholds (veritcal cuts on an angle) No problems at all.

I also give freud blades 5 stars.

-- Live by what you believe, not what they want you to believe.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

Thanks for this review. For some time I have said, with confidence, that the best blades in the world have a name that begins with an “F”. I’m just not sure if it is Forrest or Freud. Like you, I have been using the Forrest WW II thin kerf with a stabilizer for a while on my 2 hp saw. With only 2 hp I have always thought that I would stick with thin kerf. Now you have me thinking more about full kerf and Freud versus Forrest.

View Bud1m's profile

Bud1m

I have used Freud and Forrest for a while, I like both – The big box store Freud blades are not the same. I have had no luck with those. I look for the industrial name on the blade. I currently use Tenryu gold metal blade, which I have found to be my favorite.. However, I use the Freud 24T blade for ripping 8/4 and higher hardwood with great results.

View MedicKen's profile

MedicKen

1599 posts in 2058 days

The Freud blades at the big box stores are NOT the same. The Diablo line I believe to be more of a homeowner/contractor line. I do have a Freud Avanti blade in my miter saw, one of their lesser blades, and I must say I am quite impressed. As for the Diablo line I have yet to try one.

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

Thanks for the info. Good post.