Bought one this evening!

Review by Knothead62 posted 04-23-2010 02:06 AM 2898 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Bought one this evening! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Based on the reviews here on LJ forum and a good review in WOOD magazine, I took the plunge and bought one at Lowe’s this evening. I had saved up some money and have it in the garage, ready to open, read the manual (real men don’t read the manual), build a stand for it and make lots of wood dust or chips, whatever it makes. I’m going to plane some scrap pine to get used to it and make any necessary adjustments . The LOML wants a dining table. I have a stack of pecan that I’m going to use. Will post pictures when it is done. I find this forum most useful and helpful. I have had a number of LJ members send a very warm welcome!
To all, many thanks for your candid reviews of the Dewalt 734 planer. Next project is a router table for joining the boards.

View Knothead62's profile

Knothead62

#1 posted 04-23-2010 02:41 AM

I also love my DeWalt planer , but you’re giving a 5 star review on something that you haven’t even used yet !
I’m happy for you that you bought one , but….this is not a review.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#2 posted 04-23-2010 03:28 AM

First – welcome to LJs.

Second – congratulations on your new planer. I’m confident you will be very pleased with it. My 733 (predecessor to the 734) has performed flawlessly for over 10 years.

One word of advice – never try to take too much off in a single pass. With hardwoods, I consider 1/32nd of an inch to be the limit on a board wider than 6”.

After you have used this new machine for a while you should come back and give us a real review.

View NedB's profile

NedB

#3 posted 04-23-2010 03:44 AM

That looks very familiar, I’m on my third or fourth set of blades in the 5 or 6 years I’ve owned mine. Enjoy!

-- Ned - 2B1ASK1 http://nedswoodshop.blogspot.com

View cedarcanoeman's profile

cedarcanoeman

#4 posted 04-23-2010 04:12 AM

I have had mine since december09 and have run hundreds of feet through it. I sure takes a rough cut board and turns it into a beautiful piece. I did have a knarly knot in a piece of cedar gouge all three blades deeply, nice to be able to turn them around and go back to work. I believe you will enjoy this planer. It does make long curled chips and with dust collection pulls them right away. I give my unit 5 stars.
Do take thin runs at a time though and have fun.

-- Lance, southwest Missouri, cmkld@yahoo.com

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

2386 posts in 2092 days

#5 posted 04-23-2010 06:38 AM

My experiences are similar to cedarcanoeman above. hundreds of BD ft of raw red oak and it’s still doing a smooth job.

View PeteMoss's profile

PeteMoss

#6 posted 04-23-2010 04:31 PM

I enjoy mine as well. No complaints. Wear ear protection.

-- "Never measure......cut as many times as necessary." - PeteMoss

View Knothead62's profile

Knothead62

#7 posted 04-23-2010 11:49 PM

Apologies for putting this thread on the review section but I wanted to express thanks to all for their input.

View Sawdust2's profile

Sawdust2

#8 posted 04-24-2010 07:10 AM

So you should call it a gloat, not a review.
And it would be justified.
Lee

-- No piece is cut too short. It was meant for a smaller project.

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

#9 posted 04-24-2010 07:25 AM

I,ve owned mine 2 years….I think you’ll be :) !!!

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.

View workerinwood's profile

workerinwood

#10 posted 04-24-2010 05:32 PM

Purchased one in December, 2009. Used it for the first time yesterday on hickory and it worked great.

-- Jack, Albuquerque