The Best Mobile Base I Could Find

Review by Twigger posted 04-21-2010 04:55 AM 7513 views 2 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Best Mobile Base I Could Find No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I looked everywhere on-line and elsewhere for a mobile base for my Jet ProShop table saw. This one from woodworker.com works great: heavy duty; leveling devices; easy to actuate the casters. Yes, you do have to provide the 3/4” plywood; but you get a very handy shelf under your table saw or whatever. And it’s easy to assemble. $72.99

Everything the web site says is true:
Combine the Universal Mobile Base Kit with your 3/4” plywood and you can easily build a movable base for shop machinery weighing up to 600 lbs. Simply cut plywood to size (12” x 12” up to 37” x 37”) and bolt on the four, heavy gauge steel wheel assemblies – machine must rest upon each assembly to properly support weight. Two, foot operated pedals provide easy raising and lowering while industrial grade casters (2 ball bearing swivel; 2 stationary) ensure smooth movement. Wheel assemblies and mounting hardware weigh 20.4 lbs.

-- When can we go fishing, err woodworking?!

View Twigger's profile

Twigger

View Sawdust4Blood's profile

Sawdust4Blood

#1 posted 04-21-2010 11:50 AM

Thanks for the review. I was considering this base for one of my machines as well. How well do the wheels roll under load? How easy/hard is it to get the machine to raise/lower? How’s maneuverability with only two turning wheels?

-- Greg, Severn MD

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#2 posted 04-21-2010 03:04 PM

+1 for that. I use this for my bandsaw and it works great, glides smootly, and locks firmly and easily. woodcraft used to have these on sale for 40ish… but I haven’t seen it there for a while now.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#3 posted 04-21-2010 03:10 PM

Thanks for the good review. If you are going to respond to questions, could you comment on how high this base raises the tool?

View Twigger's profile

Twigger

#4 posted 04-21-2010 04:24 PM

It rolls very easily under load. Raising and lowering is a snap with the foot pedals. The maneuverability is as you’d expect with 2 fixed and 2 caster rollers: You have to plan your move like with parallel parking. But it’s easy; I have a very confined workshop and it’s nimble enough within the tight quarters. You will want to plan on which side to put the fixed rollers. For example, I put mine on the side opposite from where the rails for the table saw fence extend beyond the table top. That way, it can move forward along a narrower path, and the rails can be used to steer it.

It raises the tool 1-2 inches, depending on what height you’ve set the leveling device feet. My worshop is in an old garage where the floor is cracked and heaved up quite a bit in places. At times, the leveling feet will catch on the heaved up crack. Put all you then have to do is step down on the caster pedal at that point to momentarily raise it a bit more to get over the hump.

I bought the one I have from Woodcraft.com last fall. In fact, the Jet ProShop table saw in the local Woodcraft store is on this mobile base. But they no longer carry it on Woodcraft.com. I don’t know if they do in the store. If not, I’ll order another from woodworker.com for the jointer I just bought.

Rich

-- When can we go fishing, err woodworking?!

View HokieMojo's profile

HokieMojo

#5 posted 04-21-2010 04:54 PM

i have one and love it. my advice is to listen to the instructions though. i cut my plywood base a bit over sized (4-6 inches extra per side). The 350 pound jointer does cause the ply to sag a bit. This would NOT happen if I cut another few inches off. I’ll do that when I get around to restoring the jointer itself.

View JJohnston's profile

JJohnston

1577 posts in 1946 days

#6 posted 04-21-2010 05:21 PM

I have one of these on a 14” bandsaw. You can kind of see it in this review. My advice is to keep a little grease on the cam surfaces between the lift pedals and the casters.

-- "Sorry I'm late. Somebody tampered with my brakes." "You should have been early, then."

View Jeremy's profile

Jeremy

74 posts in 1985 days

#7 posted 04-22-2010 01:39 AM

I have 3 of these and one of the other. They are great and assembly is way easier to customize than those with the L bracket type. One other thing, they go on sale pretty often for around $50 from the store with initials of WC. Not sure we’re allowed to advertise. Great review and thanks!

-- Jeremy, Rochester, NY

View thiel's profile

thiel

359 posts in 1947 days

#8 posted 04-22-2010 04:20 AM

Jeremy,

I used to buy these very mobile bases at that very store in Rochester NY :-) They ARE the best and I really like how customizable they are.

Highly recommended. Solid, easy to use, and you can make them fit just right. I have this base on all my machines (TS, Bandsaw, Jointer) and have found them great.

-- Laziness minus Apathy equals Efficiency

View Luke's profile

Luke

538 posts in 1949 days

#9 posted 04-22-2010 04:55 AM

As far as I know they are made by steel city.

-- LAS, http://www.abettersign.com

View sawmike's profile

sawmike

#10 posted 04-22-2010 07:01 AM

Made overseas and marketed by several outlets under their own brand. Woodcraft sells it as “WoodRiver Universal Mobile Base Hardware Kit” #150783 for 60 bucks. My favorite is the Delta 50-345 which sells for about the same amount which I bought at Woodcraft. Uses a single footpedal which is much more stable than the dual pedals. Uses 2X2’s instead of plywood so fits any footprint.

-- cough, cough - who needs a dust mask