Very NICE !!!

Review by medicnurse70 posted 04-19-2010 11:41 PM 3253 views 2 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Very NICE !!! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased the Dewalt 734 today from Lowes for $399.00. I have been looking at both the Ridgid 13” and this Dewalt. I have it fiqured out that these are pretty much equal products. Why did I choose Dewalt ? Simply because I was worried about the ability to find replacement knives for the Ridgid. I also like the manual lock on the Dewalt and I am also a little po’d with Home Depot because they would not honor their on- line price in the store which was 369.00 vs. 399.00. (With free shipping). I also saw a couple of references to the Ridgid’s ability to maintain power when it was maxed out. For a complete review of many benchtop planers see the March 2010 Wood magazine.

REVIEW: I got my planer home and took it all out of the box only to find that the crank handle for raising and lowering the planer is missing. One call to Dewalt and I spoke to someone that spoke very good english and agreed to send out a handle and screw. I was on hold a minimal amount of time waiting for a real person.

I did manage to use the planer by turning the shaft with vice grips after I wrapped them with electrical tape. What I can tell you is that I planed about 1/16 of an inch off of a piece of 2×4 red oak from a pallet that I salvaged from a dumpster. The cut was FREAKIN AWSOME !!!! The sound is not too bad and the chips shoot out of the dust hood very nice !!! I would give this a five star but the crank handle was missing. I will update as I start to use the planer more. I am very happy with my purchase.

4/22/10 The handle for the height adjustment came today from Dewalt. I reveived this part without any problems and within a reasonable time. My Planer is now complete. I will now give my planer 5 stars

View medicnurse70's profile

medicnurse70

13 posts in 2061 days

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#1 posted 04-20-2010 12:12 AM

I have had the 733 for over 10 years. It is the predecessor to the 734 with the only difference being 2 knives versus 3. This thing just keeps on working without ever giving me a problem.

As you probably know, this is a very loud machine. It is the loudest machine in my shop. I ALWAYS put on ear protection before I turn on this machine.

View ToddTurner's profile

ToddTurner

144 posts in 1979 days

#2 posted 04-20-2010 12:31 AM

Hearing protection is paramount with a small shop planer. I have the Ridgid 3 blade version and it too can give a glass-smooth cut-with new knives. I use maple mostly, which is harsh on blades. Clean your blades frequently and it will reduce heat, which lessens tooling life. I kinda wish i would have went with the DEwalt because of the way it locks the head. My Ridgid moves but i am a die-hard Ridgid guy.

View buckeyedudes's profile

buckeyedudes

#3 posted 04-20-2010 12:37 AM

Nice review.
I too have the 733, 2 blade, DeWalt planer and have to admit it has been great.
It is loud, but always wear safety and eye protection.
I’ve been very pleased with one exception; the analog board thickness scale was a waist of time. You simply cannot read it due to positioning and too small of scale lines. Worthless scale.
Cut everything and anything with it, including osage orange and 150 yr. old tight grained Ohio oak from virgin forests.
Love it.

-- Before you louse it up, THIMK!

View Sawdust4Blood's profile

Sawdust4Blood

#4 posted 04-20-2010 12:58 AM

I’ve had a 734 for about a year now and absolutely love it. This tool easily paid for itself in the first year by allowing me to buy rough vs dimensioned lumber at significantly reduced rates. Even with all the lumber I’ve run through it (walnut, mahogany, maple, poplar, alder, bass wood, oak), I’m still on the first set of knives and have never had any real tear out. Keep the tables aligned and virtually no snipe. Figure out how you’re going to handle dust collection because this thing will make some chips.

-- Greg, Severn MD

View JasonWagner's profile

JasonWagner

#5 posted 04-20-2010 01:54 AM

Another vote for the 734. I have only experienced minimal snipe on really short pieces of wood (12” range). Usually I can’t even see it unless I really look. I have the ends of each table about 1/8” higher than the plate under the cutter. I am happy I saved the money vs. the 735 and was able to buy the DeWalt table (Grizzly $109) which is nice if you don’t want to make your own. Hooked up to my chip separator and dust collector I don’t get any chips. The only negative I have found is that you have to remove the dust chute to fold the wing up. I put some thumb screws on the chute so it’s easier to remove.

-- some day I hope to have enough clamps to need a clamp cart!

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5106 posts in 1964 days

#6 posted 04-20-2010 03:43 AM

Here is a link to digital planer readout that will work great on your Dewalt. I use one on my planer and it is super accurate. I bought mine from this Amazon site for $44…they went up about $2 but still a great addition to your planer.

View JasonWagner's profile

JasonWagner

#7 posted 04-20-2010 04:51 AM

I have a Wixey on my table saw fence and the angle gauge. I’m very happy with their product and if I find that the planer readout would help me out, I’d buy it in an instant.

-- some day I hope to have enough clamps to need a clamp cart!

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

2386 posts in 2094 days

#8 posted 04-20-2010 02:14 PM

I’ve had the 734 for a year now and have put several hundred bdft of un-planed red oak through it. It still works great and provides a mirror finish to the wood. Where I am I save about 70 cent’s/bdft by buying it unplaned. Heck you’ve still got to joint/plane lumber that is purchased planed. It just takes a few more swipes for unplaned, that’s all.
Anyway, no issues, no snipe, long boards, short ones. I can’t live without it in the shop. It’s used at the start of all constructions.

#9 posted 04-20-2010 02:47 PM

Nice haul.
I recently bought the DeWalt 735 and am suitably impressed with it.
I made my own cart and designed it to be the same height as my Flat Master sander and the table saw. That way I can use them as outfeed tables if I do some really long stuff.
It doesn’t need a head lock because of the design of the four post elevation system, so they say.
It does make a lot of chips, but with the combination of the built in chip ejection fan and my cyclone DC, I get NOTHING on the floor!
Loud is right. At some time in the future, when finances permit, I’d like to get the Shellix cutting head for it. Among it’s fine assets, it reduces the noise very nicely.
Since I’ve found a nice source of roughsawn lumber locally, much of it with curly, rippley (is that a word?) hardwood, this machine will certainly become a workhorse in my shop.

Regards,
D

-- Will trade wife's yarn for tools.

View Knothead62's profile

Knothead62

#10 posted 04-20-2010 04:03 PM

I just happened to find this review. I have been to Lowe’s a couple of times looking at the Dewalt 734. In addition, I carefully read the planer reviews in WOOD magazine. Thanks to all for sharing their comments on this planer. I will definitely buy one. Have some pecan wood to plane.

View Newfounlandwood's profile

Newfounlandwood

#11 posted 04-20-2010 04:41 PM

Thanks for the review! I’ve been thinking about getting this one.

Dennis

-- My fault, my failure, is not in the passions I have, but in my lack of control of them.

View ElmoSr's profile

ElmoSr

#12 posted 04-20-2010 04:44 PM

i bought the 734 about 6 months ago and am very happy with mine,,, what are you calling a snipe? is that where the board dips at the end and you get a deeper cut on last couple inches of board?

-- ElmoSr,Ga. Life is Hard by the Yard,,,But a Cinch by the Inch

View Don Newton's profile

Don Newton

#13 posted 04-20-2010 07:26 PM

Yes Elmo that’s snipe…....the scourge of the planer!

-- Don, Pittsburgh

View Eagle1's profile

Eagle1

2066 posts in 1721 days

#15 posted 04-22-2010 02:27 PM

I have the 734, love it has no problems at all..

-- Tim, Missouri ....Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the heck happened