Taper jig for us lazy folks

Review by sIKE posted 02-25-2008 04:23 AM 2507 views 1 time favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Taper jig for us lazy folks No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Got this when I was in the Cambridge Rockler store. I had been thinking about making my own but this one is only $15 and I couldn’t pass. It works as designed, both sides of the fence. Some specs from the Rockler site:

Cut tapers up to 3’’ per foot/15º slope. Graduated metal scale makes it easy to cut tapers at desired angles. Easy to use and easy to adjust. Offers measurements in degrees and inches per foot of taper.

I cut the the piece of red oak in the bottom of the pic. I didn’t have the material stop tight enough..could use some improvement there, but after that it cut flawlessly.

The only other thing was the assembley was quick and easy, under 5 minutes, but the person writing the instructions needs help with their engrish….

View mrtrim's profile

mrtrim

#1 posted 02-25-2008 05:22 AM

“普通话/普通話 lol good review

View Blake's profile

Blake

#2 posted 02-25-2008 05:27 AM

I could use one of these. Thanks for the review.

-- Happy woodworking! http://www.openarmsphotography.com

View cajunpen's profile

#3 posted 02-25-2008 05:50 AM

Good review – is there anything that locks the piece of wood to the jig – or is it necessary to clamp the wood tight to the jig?

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

#4 posted 02-25-2008 05:53 AM

Good review.

Never used one. But I might actually have one. I think. Maybe. Not sure.

#5 posted 02-25-2008 08:29 PM

cajunpen

Not sure of what youare asking. If you clamped the piece to the jig, the clap would be in the path of the blad. There is a stock holder for the bottom of the piece. You use the handle to puch the piece through while keeping downward pressure on the stock.

View cajunpen's profile

#6 posted 02-25-2008 09:28 PM

Thanks sIKE, that answered my question.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19586 posts in 2573 days

#7 posted 02-25-2008 11:25 PM

Thats cheap at $15 but like Karson I have never used one.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View Russel's profile

Russel

#8 posted 02-26-2008 12:29 AM

I got me one of dem dere jigs and it can do what it’s asked. However, the scale it rather tiny so my old eyes don’t see it so good and like Bill was asking, there is no mechanism to keep the work piece tight to the jig. I have found it a problem at times. It would be nice if there were a way to keep the work piece tighter to the jig. Still, I have one and I’ve used it. And, you can’t beat the price.

-- Working at Woodworking http://www.VillageLaneFurniture.com

View Betsy's profile

Betsy

#9 posted 02-26-2008 06:25 AM

I don’t like this particular jig for the reason Russell mentions , there is nothing to hold it down. You push it through was a tall handle, but only about 1/2” or so of the corner of your workpiece is actually being used to hold the piece as it is being pushed. I much prefer making a taper jig when I need one out of scrape so I can use a hold done to keep my board firmly in place so that no kickback will decide that today’s my day. Making my own also gives me a more accurate, repeatable cut due to the hold down, my piece won’t shift.

-- Like a bad penny, I keep coming back!

View PanamaJack's profile

PanamaJack

#10 posted 02-26-2008 06:35 AM

Sears has one like this, except it’s black in color and $19.99. (model# 3233) Nice review, nicer price point.

-- Carpe Lignum; Tornare Lignum (Seize the wood, to Turn the wood)

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#11 posted 02-26-2008 02:11 PM

I got mine from Sears about fifteen years ago. It is simple to use.

#12 posted 02-26-2008 04:07 PM

Besty cann we see a pic of your and your hold down solution? I am very interested in seeing it.

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

#13 posted 02-27-2008 02:59 AM

this works. I have one similar and it does most everything I want it to. Sometimes a shop made jig is best.. As cheap as taper jigs are relatively cheap.. they are always good to have in the shop

-- making sawdust....

View Betsy's profile

Betsy

#14 posted 02-27-2008 06:30 AM

I’ll try to get a picture of one I use this week to show you.

-- Like a bad penny, I keep coming back!

#15 posted 03-01-2008 08:30 PM

The Rockler one is on sale this weekend, you can get it for 14.99 and with free shipping….