Harbor Freight / Central Machinery Oscillating Spindle Sander

Review by FJPetruso posted 1592 days ago 14935 views 1 time favorited 41 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Harbor Freight / Central Machinery Oscillating Spindle Sander Harbor Freight / Central Machinery Oscillating Spindle Sander Harbor Freight / Central Machinery Oscillating Spindle Sander Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently purchased a new Oscillating Spindle Sander for my small woodworking shop. Before making the purchase I checked out comparable models, The Harbor Freight Oscillating Spindle Sander & the Triton Oscillating Spindle Sander. For the type of use that I give a power tool this quality sander would work well. With the exception of the colors being reversed, the two machines are identicle. Both sanders have the same features & acessories. Naturally at $90 for the Harbor freight model (it goes on sale for $99 frequently & as an added plus the “Entertainment Coupon Book” has a 10 percent off coupon for Harbor Freight in it) versus $150 for the Triton (& it never is seen on sale for that low of a price), I chose the H/F model. I have used the sander for making rocking chairs & it works very well. Changing sanding sleeves is very easy & they are easily acquired from H/F at their retail store & on-line. I only gave it 4 stars because it’s not for production use & you can get a better spindle sander….. but you’d have to pay 3 or 4 times that price to get the heavy duty quality. At this price,... It’s disposable, but I believe it will give me years of my kind of use anyway. I am most pleased with this purchase.

-- Frank, Florissant, Missouri "The New Show-Me Woodshop"

View FJPetruso's profile

FJPetruso

View bigike's profile

bigike

4031 posts in 1920 days

great review i was looking into one of these or a ridgid model well my pockets will tell the tale. ;)

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop, http://www.icombadaniels@yahoo.com

View dustbunny's profile

dustbunny

1149 posts in 1927 days

I own one of these by Central machinery.
I have had good use of it with no problems.
It has a strong motor, the spindles are easy to change,
and the top is perfectly perpendicular to the spindle.
I love mine : )

Lisa

-- Imagination rules the world. ~ Napoleon Bonaparte ~ http://quiltedwood.com

View oldskoolmodder's profile

oldskoolmodder

I look at these each time I’m at Harbor Freight, and wonder. I never seem to have the money to spare, when it goes on sale though.

-- Respect your shop tools and they will respect you - Ric

View Maveric777's profile

Maveric777

Thanks for the review. I been watching this little tool for a while now and think it will be my next tool purchase. I have yet to hear anything bad about it yet… Well other than it is what it is…..lol

-- Dan ~ Texarkana, Tx.

View HokieMojo's profile

HokieMojo

2098 posts in 2360 days

The ridgid sounds like the best bang for the buck if you can get it on sale. this one sounds pretty good too, but doesn’t have a belt option or a tilt.

I kaos looked at all these ones when I was shopping to a sander.
I bought a used rigid and I am delighted with it.
In fact I mostly use the belt sander attachment on the Rigid.
One thing I do not like about these sanders, is the amount of dust they produce and the dust collection on the Ridgid is next to non-existent.

I almost bought one of these but went with the Ridgid instead : ) No complaints at all except that the miter gauge slot is not the standard 3/4”...for whatever reason , they made it a strong 13/16”....thank goodness I don’t need to use the miter very often. I don’t have any problems with the dust collection system on mine : )
Congrats on your purchase and happiness with it : )

View Joe Weaver's profile

Joe Weaver

I remember seeing a blog about a dc for the ridgid sander, I found this,

-- Joe, Ga

View PhineasWhipsnake's profile

PhineasWhipsnake

I bought one of these, too, and am happy with it. Isn’t it amazing that Triton and Rockwell sell the exact same tool (except for the color) for 2 to 3 times the price of the HF. I’m surprised Festool doesn’t make a black & green one for $800…

-- Gene T

View deucefour's profile

deucefour

good review, thanks for the info

-- "I gotta have more cowbell"--------Bruce Dickinson

View FJPetruso's profile

FJPetruso

I added a photo of the Rockwell model to show how similiar it is too. By the way oldskoolmodder, if you happen to have some pocket change the Harbor Freight model is on sale for $99 now.

-- Frank, Florissant, Missouri "The New Show-Me Woodshop"

View docholladay's profile

docholladay

There have been several mentions of the Ridgid. Funny thing is that this exact same sander used to be available in the Ridgid Brand also. It was priced similarly to the Triton. I remember seeing it at HD. They probably are all made in the same factory. I know that Craftsman, Ridgid, Ryobi and some other brands are all made/owned by the same parent company.

-- Hey, woodworking ain't brain surgery. Just do something and keep trying till you get it. Doc

Thank you Joe for the information for the DC.
I bought my Ridigid for $100.00 used.
I believe that this was a very good deal

View flyfisherbob2000's profile

flyfisherbob2000

I have this HF sander, have used it for over 16 months now with no problems. The drums are at a true 90 degrees to the table, plenty of power, stable. I picked mine up with a discount coupon for $69.00, well worth the money!

View juniorjock's profile

juniorjock

1930 posts in 2397 days

Good review. HF gets a bad rap most of the time, but I’ve bought several things from them and everything I receive gets the job done just fine. Plus, I save a ton of money.