Evapo Rust - Awesome Awesome Awesome

Review by sIKE posted 2341 days ago 5296 views 2 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Evapo Rust - Awesome Awesome Awesome No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I posted up a project about refinishing an old plane and Mark Mazzo refered to a product on his sites blog for removing rust. In my best Hank Hill voice…I tell you what. This stuff just works! I had to let it soak for a couple of days but man, all I had to do was rinse off the pieces then lightly use a stainless still brush to remove the remaining paint. I have used navel jelly, wire wheels, WD 40. They all pale greatly in comparison. If you have something small that is heavily rusted and can be submerged this is what you want.

View Blake's profile

Blake

Wow, very interesting. I come across small hand planes and other metal tools all the time that I don’t know what to do with. Thanks for the review. I will definitely try this! Is it easy to find and readily available at a hardware store or where do you have to order it from?

-- Happy woodworking! http://www.openarmsphotography.com

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

That’s what I was going to ask. Where do you get it?

I found it at Autozone. The website is www.evapo-rust.com

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

Sounds like a magic elixir – if it works as good as you said, it will make a great addition to the arsenal of needed supplies for cleaning and grooming the tools.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View Zuki's profile

Zuki

I believe that LV also carries it. It is also pretty environmentally friendly as well.

-- BLOG - http://www.colorfulcanary.com/search/label/Zuki

View scottb's profile

scottb

... and it’s fairly environmentally friendly too? Awesome. Thanks for sharing this magic elixer!

-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- http://blanchardcreative.etsy.com -- http://snbcreative.wordpress.com/

You betcha. Thanks for the posts.

View jcees's profile

jcees

Lee Valley also carries it in their new catalog.

always,
J.C.

-- When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. -- John Muir

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

I went to two different AutoZones to get some. Neither person I talked to was aware of it, but the store had it. I wanted a gallon, but the largest size they carried was a quart.

View USCJeff's profile

USCJeff

I’ll have to give this a shot. I messed up and left a benchtop scrollsaw in my apparently not so moisture free car trunk for a few weeks. Naturally, the top is very much in need of some TLC. Haven’t tried any other method yet. Suppose I should give the old WD-40 a shot as it’s on hand. I wonder if this is a decent chemical for small carbide bits and blades. Always worth a shot in battling rust in South Carolina. My garage shop might as well not have walls with our humidity.

-- Jeff, South Carolina

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

#11 posted 1976 days ago

I asked these questions on another thread.

I got my answer here.

Does the temperature affect the use of it?

Do you wash it off with a water hose?

#12 posted 1976 days ago

I normally pull it out and just let it dry, as it seems to prevent the flash rusting. Once I am done re-working the metal I wash it off with soap and water and then immediately move to the finishing process.

Once the stuff gets nasty I do rinse and then dunk into clean solution.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

Thanks, needed that. gonna go pick some up at autozone.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

111999 posts in 2174 days

This is great stuff

Sharon,

You will be very pleased with how easy this stuff works.