Dewalt DC390 6 1/2" Circular Saw w/ 18v XRP battery

Review by Derek Lyons posted 04-16-2010 11:39 PM 7309 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dewalt DC390 6 1/2" Circular Saw w/ 18v XRP battery No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I don’t recall how much I paid for this saw as I bought it on a Black Friday sale from Lowe’s last year, and it’s sat over the winter. I finally got to drag it out to trim some 3/4” OSB for my workshop remodel, and wow. I was concerned about how much pressure I’d have to use to get through the material – but I was halfway done with the cut before I realized I was exerting almost no pressure at all. It’s been zipping through the cuts like a sports car with the stock carbide blade the accompanies the saw.

Pros:

• Cuts like a sports car on a straightaway.
  • Sturdy molded (rather than blown) case with real metal latches and hinge pin.

Cons:

• Safety interlock on the trigger is awkward to use.

This really should be a 4.5 star review, except that’s not an available selection. The awkward safety latch, which is very distracting right when you’re starting the cut, knocks off a half star.

-- Derek, Bremerton WA --

View Derek Lyons's profile

Derek Lyons

#1 posted 04-16-2010 11:47 PM

I’ve been wanting one of these for quite some time ….I also saw that they make a 5&3/8 18volt model and call it a “trim saw”....seems to me it would be kind of awkward to use for cutting trim with that big 18V battery on it.
How is the balance on your model other than that “safety” switch ?

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#2 posted 04-17-2010 12:27 AM

I have one of these also and I agree with everything you say. I also find the safety interlock to be awkward to use. However, after you have used it for a while, it gets easier to deal with.

One trivial point that I really like – - The distance from the edge of the right hand side of the plate to the right hand side of the blade is exactly 4”. If you are setting up a fence to get a good straight line cut, the “exactly 4 inches” is convenient. Beats dealing with fractions of any inch.

Also – I really like the blade being on the left side of the saw. It is so much easier to see what you are doing.

The only negative I can think of is that this saw eats up battery charge faster than any other cordless tool I have used. You really should expect that since this saw is putting out a lot of power for a battery powered tool.

View Derek Lyons's profile

Derek Lyons

#3 posted 04-17-2010 05:35 PM

@Dusty56: I’m trimming OSB sheets, not cutting trim. That being said, the balance seems to be pretty close to the handle.

@richgreer: The same is true of the POS Ryobi set I’m slowly replacing with DeWalts – the circular saw eats batteries far faster than any other cordless tool. I suspect that will hold true of any cordless tool series, as a circ saw blade is fairly heavy compared to any other blade or bit and, as you say, will take a lot of power to do its job.

-- Derek, Bremerton WA --

#4 posted 04-17-2010 06:05 PM

Thanks for the feedback on the balance : )