The Bandsaw Book by Lonnie Bird

Review by Kerry Drake posted 04-16-2010 07:39 PM 3540 views 1 time favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Bandsaw Book by Lonnie Bird No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Lonnie Bird talks about everything that should have been in you bandsaw’s owners manual. A great book for beginners (like me), walking me though the ins and outs of bandsaw setup, maintenance and use. I had this book open on my workbench last night trying to fold my first bandsaw blade back into a 3 loop fold (I used method #2 out of the book).

Nicely laid out, plenty of high quality photo’s. This will be my go to resource for my bandsaw questions.

-- Kerry Drake, Loudon NH, http://thenickedfinger.wordpress.com/

View Kerry Drake's profile

Kerry Drake

View Blair Helgason's profile

Blair Helgason

#1 posted 04-16-2010 10:21 PM

Is this book good for reference on pretty much any bandsaw?

-- Blair

View Kerry Drake's profile

Kerry Drake

#2 posted 04-16-2010 10:28 PM

He concentrates on the 14” bandsaws, but most of the stuff he talks about carries over to any bandsaw. Tensioning, Blade Types, Tracking, Safety, etc…

-- Kerry Drake, Loudon NH, http://thenickedfinger.wordpress.com/

View Blair Helgason's profile

Blair Helgason

#3 posted 04-16-2010 10:41 PM

I do have a 14” bandsaw but just in case of an upgrade it’s good to know.
Thanks for the quick response and the review.

-- Blair

View bigike's profile

bigike

4035 posts in 2037 days

#4 posted 04-17-2010 12:26 AM

great review, i’ll look into it cuz i just got my taxes back too so it’s time for a bandsaw

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop, http://www.icombadaniels@yahoo.com

View Bryan_M's profile

Bryan_M

#5 posted 04-17-2010 07:04 AM

I second this! This was the first book I bought after getting my 14” Delta and just about everything you need to know how to set it up and use it is in here. Plenty of pictures.

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#6 posted 04-18-2010 07:07 PM

Excellent book I have it too.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View Viking's profile

Viking

857 posts in 1943 days

#7 posted 04-18-2010 10:38 PM

Kerry;

I bought LB’s Band Saw book prior to buying a band saw as I had never had one so, the book was part of my pre-buy research.

Ended up selecting and buying the Rikon 14” deluxe and have not been sorry.

One of the LJ’s posted a video on folding and unfolding bandsaw blades. Can’t find it now but maybe someone else remember it? The method in the video shure beats throwing the blade over your shoulder and running like hell!

Good Luck!

This is a great book!

-- Rick Gustafson - Lost Creek Ranch - Colorado County, Texas

View CreekWoodworker's profile

CreekWoodworker

409 posts in 2046 days

#8 posted 04-20-2010 03:18 AM

I have the same book. Here is a video on folding bandsaw blades. To unfold I cut the tape holding it together and toss it on the floor, it will uncoil itself, just stand back.

-- Mike ...Success is often the result of taking a misstep in the right direction

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

3685 posts in 1913 days

#9 posted 04-21-2010 03:37 PM

Kerry
I have added your review to the LJ Booklist. dbHost had commented briefly in a post about the book, but yours is the first formal LJ review. It is categorized under Tools – Bandsaw.

Thanks for the review…........the LJ Booklist is an index to all LJ book reviews. You can find it with the link after my name or the link here.

Alaska Jim

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#10 posted 07-09-2011 10:05 PM

I have this book and is great. Anyone getting their 1st or 10th bandsaw should have this book.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

#11 posted 07-09-2011 10:14 PM

I have it in both hard copy and Kindle version. Very much recommended.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov