Nice router table

Review by Dustin posted 04-14-2010 06:05 PM 4343 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
Nice router table Nice router table No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This review is from: SHOP FOX W1701 1-Horsepower Shaper (Tools & Hardware)
First off, I have three shapers now. Two 2hp Shop Fox shapers and this little 1hp Shop Fox shaper. I use it primarily for profiling door lips and it does an excellent job. I know there are a lot of shapers quite a bit like this one but I got the shop fox because it had a high enough rpm to handle my router bits necessary for the job. Setting it up you’ll have to space the table away from the frame or you won’t be able to properly seat router bits below the table. Make sure you loosen the motor and tighten the belt.

Mine had a major problem with vibration when I used the 1/2” spindle because it would not seat correctly. I didn’t really care too much about this because I purchased it purely for router bits. If you buy a shaper it should be able to be used as a shaper so I wasn’t happy about it but I know that if I pursued it I could get it fixed through Shop Fox and it would work just fine.

Another problem is the fence simply can not be adjusted to where I need it to be using router bits. I don’t know who decided where to tap the table for fence mounting but they made an error with their math. I’ll just replace the included fences with 5/4 alder to make it work.

If I were to compare it to a router it would have to be a 3hp router at least. You will not slow this puppy down unless your belt isn’t tight.

View Dustin's profile

Dustin

1 comment so far

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#1 posted 08-07-2010 04:04 PM

Thanks for the review, I may add a shaper to my set up.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker