awesome sculpting tool

Review by JuniorJoiner posted 04-12-2010 06:13 AM 2995 views 1 time favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
awesome sculpting tool awesome sculpting tool awesome sculpting tool Click the pictures to enlarge them

I had never done sculpting until recently. but I have always wanted to try doing a sculpted seat.
Everyone thinks maloof when they see a sculpted seat, but it seems it was common on many different styles. nakashima, windsor chairs. etc.
so, I made a poplar blank , and started making a prototype.
well. I did the rough shaping on the bandsaw, then clamped it together and started with a gouge and mallet.
I am not that great at sharpening gouges, so I needed the mallet.
after a few hours of sweating over that, and my shopmates irritated at the noise. I knew there had to be a better way.(And NO, I don’t mean a grinder)
I looked online, and pondered curved bottom planes and scorps. but I felt most of the other tools couldn’t do the complete job I wanted. So, while I was in town last Saturday, I left the wife in the truck, and ran into Lee Valley(just for a minuite) and bought the O1 Veritas pullshave.
I chose O1 because I like it for sharpening over A2 (their is a audible difference that i dislike)
I was very happy with the flatness of the blade, as lapping it took about 2 minuites

truth be told, the hardest part of getting this tool ready to my satisfaction, was hollow grinding it, which is a little trickier because of it’s short length.
still, everything went off without a hitch, and I was ready to shape in about 20 minuites.

this tool made the remainder of the shaping to be done almost easy. The wide-ish mouth made heavy hogging and fine shavings equally possible.with dual fine adjust knobs, dialing in the desired shaving is easy. a few hours of use was much easier on the hands, and a fresh honed blade left a surface that hardly need to be chased with a scraper, regardless of grain direction.

the only issue I have had with this tool so far is that the lever cap has rattled loose on me twice, from ham fisted use, chattering over my heavy gouge marks. A lockwasher under the retaining screw fixes that problem.

So, if you are thinking of sculpting chair seats, and dislike grinding and sanding. I highly recommend this tool.

-- Junior -Quality is never an accident-it is the reward for the effort involved.

View JuniorJoiner's profile

JuniorJoiner

View Jon Spelbring's profile

Jon Spelbring

#1 posted 04-12-2010 02:35 PM

Thanks for the post! I saw those last year, but sadly, after I had already scupted my chair seat (Maloof style). I did it with a carbide grinding wheel – something I’d rather not repeat. I was cleaning up walnut dust and chips for weeks! Before I start another chair, this will be in my toolbox.

-- To do is to be

View Bearpie's profile

Bearpie

#2 posted 04-12-2010 05:10 PM

Simply do the grinding work outside then sweep up the shavings.

Erwin

-- Erwin, Jacksonville, FL

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#3 posted 05-04-2010 01:24 PM

Having ‘hogged out” many a chair seat over 30 yrs, I know what it takes. The tools that have come down thru the years do a fine job. Travishers, planes etc. Poplar is harder than one would think. Pine was always the choice of chairmakers. I have not used this tool, but I know it will work, as it is a “remake” of an existing tool from years ago. Keep up the good work, and lets see what you made with it.

-- We call the destruction of replaceable human made items vandalism, while the destruction of irreplaceable natural resources is called development.