One and Done!

Review by scopemonkey posted 04-11-2010 01:26 AM 2777 views 0 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
One and Done! One and Done! No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought these bench hold fasts from Rockler. One moderate tap with my mallet and it broke. I had another one, same issue. Extremely poor quality and not worth a cent. I expect better from Rockler than this PoS. I think the Taiwan stamp says it all.

-- GSY from N. Idaho

View scopemonkey's profile

#1 posted 04-11-2010 01:41 AM

I bought the Workbench Accessory set from them, and use them rather abusively one day with no issue. The next day I went to lightly tap it in place and it broke in exactly the same spot.

I called Rockler Customer service and they sent me a pair of holdfasts that are a darker blue color, and feel quite a big heftier (I have not put them on the scale to make sure).

I agree. Rockler should be embarassed that their name is associated with this junk.

-- My workshop blog can be found at

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

#2 posted 04-11-2010 02:40 AM

made in china at the harborfreight factory most likely.
Thanks for the warning.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View PCM's profile

#3 posted 04-11-2010 04:37 AM

This is not only inexcusably poor quality, but potentially dangerous. Rockler should recall this product.

View JJohnston's profile

#4 posted 04-11-2010 04:44 AM

That has all the look of a brittle fracture, and that says “cast” to me. I thought these were supposed to be forged. Next set you buy, try to make sure they are.

-- "A man may conduct himself well in both adversity and good fortune, but if you want to test his character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

View jerryz's profile

#5 posted 04-11-2010 06:39 AM

Holdfasts should be made of steel that has been tempered, it should be springy, those pictures show a metal that was hardened but they did not anneal it afterwards.
The cristalline structure is coarse and therefore prone to cracking.
Also the break point is consistent with the exact point where you would expect the maximum stress for that particular application.

By the way that is a quality control issue, they painted the holdfast, it is important as the annealing process consists of heating the piece at a certain temperature dependent on the steel alloy that was used and let it cool to room temp over a pre-set time. You would paint the pieces after this process not before…

The tempering of the steel is taking the piece again to a set temperature (dependent on the alloy used) and rapidly cooling it by quenching it in water or oil….

Cast iron will never work for a hold fast, it is not springy at all due to the cristalline structure of it..

View live4ever's profile

983 posts in 2099 days

#6 posted 04-11-2010 09:25 AM

This probably explains why their workbench accessory set is discounted 50% right now. 2 of these holdfasts, some dogs, and a rubber mat for $12. I was going to order it but after seeing this not so sure anymore. Thank you for saving me the headache.

-- Optimists are usually disappointed. Pessimists are either right or pleasantly surprised. I tend to be a disappointed pessimist.

View richgreer's profile

#7 posted 04-11-2010 02:22 PM

I had exactly the same experience with these hold down clamps. They are worthless. I bought mine about 3 years ago. If Rockler is still selling them, they should be ashamed of themselves.

View Chris Pond's profile

Chris Pond

#8 posted 04-11-2010 07:47 PM

Hello, I saw this and thought cheap casting but also me with a un-heat shop could this be a problem in waiting? Thanks for the heads up.

-- Chris, Summerland BC

View longgone's profile

#9 posted 04-11-2010 08:03 PM

Usually Rocckler sells some good stuff..I have bought frequently from them some good products and some bad… but these are garbage. But people can get them now on sale for 50% off to help rockler pay for their bad merchandise clearance.
I would call them and ask for a refund. Usually they are pretty good about repalcements or refunds…most of the time.

View bigike's profile

#10 posted 04-11-2010 08:28 PM

dam to think i was gonna buy these too thanks for the review! sorry you had to go through the poor quality tools to post, but i guess it helps us.

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop,

View sparky52's profile

#11 posted 04-12-2010 12:03 AM

I quite buying anything from Rockler. If I want crap I go to harbor freight.

-- Amateure wood worker,I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

View Hawkins's profile

#12 posted 04-12-2010 01:12 AM

Same thing happened to me. Bought the Gramercy ones from “Tools for working wood” and they are amazing. However Rockler was very good about the refund.

View scopemonkey's profile

#13 posted 04-12-2010 02:18 AM

I am sad to see that I am not alone, but glad some of you won’t suffer the same mistake I did. I am going to try to get a replacement of refund from Rockler on Monday.

-- GSY from N. Idaho

View Jon Spelbring's profile

Jon Spelbring

#14 posted 04-12-2010 02:36 PM

Another vote for the Gramercy ones – they’re excellent!

-- To do is to be

View PurpLev's profile

#15 posted 04-12-2010 04:45 PM

Another one for Gramercy… they are really not that much more expensive, but nothing on the market can come close to their quality – seriously.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.