Footprint 4 Piece Chisel Set

Review by cstrang posted 04-09-2010 09:20 PM 6256 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Footprint 4 Piece Chisel Set Footprint 4 Piece Chisel Set No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

These chisels are good quality Sheffield steel at a very economical price of only 29.99 for a set of four. The sizes are ¼”, ½”, ¾” and 1”. As always I wouldn’t trust the factory edge so after a brief time on the stone, I honed them on a diamond stone and now you could shave with them… however I wouldn’t reccoment that haha. Currently I am doing some dove tails and mortise and tennon work with them and they are holding their edge quite nicely. I will probably pick up a 3/8” chisel like these in the near future. The handle is more oval than round which makes it easier and more comfortable to grip while working. All in all they are a great buy at a bargain price.

They can be found here

-- A hammer dangling from a wall will bang and sound like work when the wind blows the right way.

View cstrang's profile

cstrang

View Dez's profile

Dez

#1 posted 04-09-2010 09:42 PM

Sounds like this was a good purchase for you! Have fun with them.

-- Folly ever comes cloaked in opportunity!

#2 posted 04-09-2010 09:46 PM

I’ve had my wooden handled Footprints for over 15 years now and they’re still holding up just fine : ) Congrats on your purchase.

View degoose's profile

degoose

7010 posts in 2004 days

#3 posted 04-09-2010 09:57 PM

A good sharp chisel is worth its weight in ebony… more expensive than gold..LOL
Nice pick up.

-- Drink twice... and don't bother to cut... @ lazylarrywoodworks.com.au For lovers of all things timber...

View GMman's profile

GMman

#4 posted 04-09-2010 10:10 PM

I have those very good choice.

View bigike's profile

bigike

4031 posts in 1938 days

#5 posted 04-09-2010 11:11 PM

great review, but it’s too late i just got two sets of marples chisels one irwin china made and the other i think made in england. I’ll post a review here once i get them.

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop, http://www.icombadaniels@yahoo.com

#6 posted 04-10-2010 12:38 AM

They look good.

View lew's profile

lew

#7 posted 04-10-2010 01:28 AM

Thanks for the review. These look like a good deal.

Lew

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Newfounlandwood's profile

Newfounlandwood

#8 posted 04-10-2010 01:58 AM

I got this set as well. I’ve had them for a while and they work great. I’ve bought another set since, but today I decided to give these a sharpen with my water stones. Then I come up here and see this review! They work just as well as the higher quality set I bought and hold their edge as well. Nice buy.

Dennis

-- My fault, my failure, is not in the passions I have, but in my lack of control of them.

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

View Mike67's profile

Mike67

96 posts in 1986 days

#10 posted 04-14-2010 10:29 PM

I have the wood handled footprints and really like them.

View Boogie's profile

Boogie

16 posts in 2069 days

#11 posted 11-08-2011 09:05 PM

Althought this thread is nearly 2 years old, i just bought a set of these. I can’t wait to use them. It seems wrong for these to be sitting in a box on my desk with no wood around.

-- Boogie, Hou Tex - Life is to short for Bad Wine