Review of Grizzly 12" Jointer G609X With Sprial Cutter Head (Grizzly)

Review by Hollis posted 04-08-2010 03:28 PM 5767 views 2 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Review of Grizzly 12" Jointer G609X With Sprial Cutter Head (Grizzly) Review of Grizzly 12" Jointer G609X With Sprial Cutter Head (Grizzly) No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The big machine was unloaded with a fork lift using straps under the beds. Grease was present mainly on the beds and fence and was removed with a single edge razor blade and WD-40. It was moved to position using ½” water pipe and two people. I have since built a rollerbase which is pictured; and also added a Wixley digital planer height gauge to it which is also pictured.

Out of the box it required a little tweaking of the tables. The outfeed was a few thousandths out of level with the cutter head at one side. The eccentric bushings for table adjustment are not user friendly but I managed them with a cresent wrench. Once the tables were adjusted I edged some long pieces of beech a got a very accurate glue joint. The wheel adjustments have some play which doesn’t affect accuracy and the depth scale is down low and requires some squinting (it was removed to install the Wixley). I removed the original read out scale plate and used one of the existing holes to enlarge and drill a tap a small screw for the Wixley install.

The new short bed 12” machine was very tempting since it may be a little higher quality and also because grizzly has apparently redesigned the eccentric bed alignment bushings to accommodate a 12 point wrench or hex wrench which would be a great improvement. I am happy with the machine as the long beds are nice to have. I would recommend this machine and would buy it again.

P.S. One thing I found helpful in selecting grizzly machines is looking at the parts list. One can tell how the machine is designed and put together. That’s how is found the new style eccentric bushings in looking at the G0706 short bed jointer. Also, I ordered the $30 optional serpentine belt drive which was easily intalled and adjusted. It is standard on the short bed.

-- Merritt B Teddlie

View Hollis's profile

Hollis

#1 posted 04-08-2010 03:42 PM

I have this and LOVE it. Get some curly maple to test drive it, you will be amazed. I use this to flatten my endgrain cutting boards before I put them through my 20” spiral head Grizzly planner. I like your upgrades, only the best in your shop. Enjoy the awesome quality of this machine!

View MoreWoodPlease's profile

MoreWoodPlease

#2 posted 04-08-2010 03:55 PM

Great review! Thanks! I wish I could afford one.

-- Integrity is who we are when no one else is watching.

View skeeter's profile

skeeter

233 posts in 2065 days

#3 posted 04-09-2010 05:55 AM

That is a sweet aircraft carrier. That thing is huge!

-- My philosophy: Somewhere between Norm and Roy

View OutPutter's profile

OutPutter

#4 posted 04-09-2010 08:54 AM

Are you telling me that you can joint the end grain of a cutting board with this thing? No, wait, you also said you can put an end grain board through the spiral head planer too? Un – B – Leve – Uh – Bull !!!!

I guess I’m going to have to hate both you guys. lol

-- Jim

#5 posted 04-09-2010 03:02 PM

Yes Saftey tip remember to round over the back edge to avoid end edge tearout.
This is the best mid-range, upper end, wood shop equipment out there. Hands-down!

Question: Where did you get that awesome HD roller base? Grizzly also?

View skeeter's profile

skeeter

233 posts in 2065 days

#6 posted 04-09-2010 03:21 PM

i though he said he built it. Your shop is nice indeed!

-- My philosophy: Somewhere between Norm and Roy

#7 posted 04-09-2010 04:50 PM

Right, sorry missed it. I’ll take one, sign me up!

View AKWoody's profile

AKWoody

#8 posted 04-11-2010 05:20 AM

Sometimes I read the Grizzly catalog and drool a little on the page the has this piece of equipment on it…..

View trevarthan's profile

trevarthan

#9 posted 05-21-2014 01:17 PM

I have the non spiral cutter head version of this jointer. In fact, I posted on another forum about getting it off the pallet using black iron pipe and levers (has pics of the harrowing process): http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f15/how-move-1035-lb-jointer-off-pallet-yourself-without-crane-55911/

How do you like that mobile base? I considered making one of those mobile bases too since nobody else offers one.