This joint was jumpin...in the UPS truck!

Review by MoreWoodPlease posted 1576 days ago 6610 views 1 time favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
This joint was jumpin...in the UPS truck! This joint was jumpin...in the UPS truck! This joint was jumpin...in the UPS truck! Click the pictures to enlarge them

Grizzly 6” Jointer G0452.
Cons: As you can see in the photo, arrived damaged. The base is what was in that box, and the main damage was to the rear cover, (dented and scratched). In the main box with the head in it, the fence support was not packed well, and rolled around in the box, dinging everything, including minor scratches to the tabletop. In the base box, nothing was packed well, and everything else was dinged. The picture of the head is showing the caked axle grease that gets on everything, including clothes, and arms up to your elbow, (every time you brush up against the head, bingo; and in a small shop, you brush up against everything). I guess they are afraid of salt air during the voyage from China. The damage is of course UPS’s fault. I caught the driver before he took off, he inspected the damage, and began the claim process right there. I also called Grizzly on the spot to ask them what they wanted me to do, accept the delivery, or let the driver go. They told me to accept, and they would replace the panel. Upon assembling the Jointer, I realized that everything had some degree of scratches. A chrome hand-wheel had half the chrome scratched off. Called Grizzly, and in Grizzly form, they were great. Anything I wanted it seemed they would do. New machine, no problem, replacement parts, you got it, touch up paint, on its way. I opted for replacement parts, and touch up paint. The thought of disassembling the machine, repacking it, going through the hassle of dealing with UPS’s schedule, (taking a day off), ect. just did not seem worth returning the unit. Grizzly shipped the replacement parts the next day, and I got them less than a week later. Not too bad right? The base of the G0452 is tan, the replacement panel they sent is green. C/S thinks that replacement panels are all green. Whatever. I told C/S ill have a friend in the auto body business fix the original panel, and use the touch up paint to finish it. By itself, a dented panel is not the end of the world, but the entire machine had scratches. So I paid full price for a “scratch and dent” floor model. I can live with it, because of the “Pros” section of this review.
Pros: Almost no fine tuning right out of the box. Square edges on Cherry boards right out of the gate. The machine purrs. The controls are easy to use, and I love the placement of the On/Off switch. The integrated mobile base saved a hundred bucks on buying one. Completely enclosed dust chute, to a 4” port. Dead flat table using a Veritas straight edge. Of course minus the scratches. The best Customer Service in the industry, well I think so. I also have a G0690 Cabinet table saw from Grizzly; love that too. And the best, it was on sale for, wait for it….$399.95! What! Ya cant get that on Cragislist! I’m jointing like I stole it!

I have read on LJ that some people dislike Grizzly, and tools not made in the USA. I would love to buy a Unisaw; I simply don’t have the money. I would love a shop full of Powermatic, (are they made in the USA?), but not enough coin. Grizzly may be made in China, but the person I talked to in C/S, was American, and some of my money went to her. I sleep very well, thank you.
Thanks for reading!

View Rick Boyett's profile

Rick Boyett

Powermatic is not longer made in the US. I know their cabinet saws are now built in Taiwan.

Only the NEW Delta Unisaw is built in the US and that is both the saw itself and the motor. Of course it is also the most expensive cabinet saw out there. Even the Sawstop is a little less expensive. Of course the Delta is also the best (^_^)

Back to your review. It seems that the folks packing up these Grizzly products are very inconsistent. My G0604X was actually packed rather well. I think if those boys in China did a better job of packaging these tools, we wouldn’t have to worry about the shippers as much.

But at least Grizzly continues to do everything they can to make things right…

View JimDaddyO's profile

JimDaddyO

I hate to burst your bubble on the new unisaw being 100% american….have you seen the big label on the front of it?

Unisaw

-- I still have all my fingers

MoreWoodPlease

Thanks for the correction.

View patron's profile

patron

12977 posts in 1946 days

good for you .

you have to use the tools , and get to know them .
in 45 years , and 3 complete new tool purchases ,
i have had to buy whatever i could afford ,
learn how to use it , and if it didn’t make it ,
use it to get the money for an upgrade .
i got shop tools , and an assortment of site tools now .
a lot of the stuff i have , i bought new ,
and now there are many different brands that copied them .
the newer one have better bells and whistles ,
but they weren’t around when i needed them ,
i do like having 3 different tablesaws , as i can set each up for different things
when i do cab doors , or make furniture .
it saves me from changing back and forth every time i blow a piece or make a mistake .

View Viking's profile

Viking

Small issue with Grizzly. I ordered a couple of their zero clearance table saw inserts and they arrived, along with the 2010 catalog, packed in styro peanuts. The peanuts had static cling. They stuck to everything including the ZCI’s, the catalog, and me. It took forever to clean up and contain the peanuts.

I have ordered parts and hardware from Grizzly many times and never had this happen.

-- Rick Gustafson - Lost Creek Ranch - Colorado County, Texas

View ericandcandi's profile

ericandcandi

Good review, thanks. I own their 1023 3hp tablesaw. Great saw. I even had Chinese for dinner last night.

-- ericandcandi in Louisiana- Home of the "LSU Tigers"

MoreWoodPlease

Update. Grizzly called to tell me they will credit my CC for $20.00, the cost of the panel, and told me to keep the green panel. Deal. I was going to build an enclosed base for my very old Beaver Lathe, looks like its going to have a green access panel.

-- Integrity is who we are when no one else is watching.

This is a good review. The scratches and dents are not going to affect the performace of the tool and, while annoying, are just cosmetic. You have added a quality tool to your shop and I have always heard nothing but good things about Grizzly’s customer service.

View Joe's profile

Joe

185 posts in 1998 days

Sorry to hear about the damage. At least the credited you 200 bucks and attempted to send you replacements parts. Some people don’t care about dented and scratched tools when bought new, as long as it does the job. But for me; If I pay full price for something then it should be right. If not then I except them to make it right. Am I wrong? Looks like Grizzly made good on it.

As far as the Delta saw, all the major components (top, trunnion, motor ect.ect) are from the US.

Enjoy your jointer brother…

-- Senior Chief

View mmh's profile

mmh

Thanks for the review and info on Grizzly’s customer service, as we plan to drive up there and take a look at their show room as we want to to “kick the tires” and look/see/feel the merchandise. I suspect this will be a very expensive trip but will save on shipping. We have two items in mind but when was the last time you went shopping and came home with only the two items you intended to purchase?

Has anyone had the experience of picking up their machines from Grizzly? Sounds like we should probably open the boxes before we leave the warehouse.

-- "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

To:MMH;
The table saw I bought from Grizzly was also shipped UPS freight, but I picked it up at the UPS Hub. This meant less handling by UPS, and surprise, no damage. It seems if the outside box is not damaged, your good to go.
For me, I’m afraid of going to Grizzly, just like it scares me when the wife goes to the outlet stores.
To:Joe;
Twenty bucks, not two hundred. I only wish it was two hundred. I’m still satisfied.

View mmh's profile

mmh

I’ve been researching the same model but with a helical/spiral cutterhead because I use some really hard woods and don’t want to “Wish I had” if I didn’t get the better cutting head option. It’s pricey, but I’ve read good reviews on them. I know some pros have warned to get the 8” instead of 6” model, but the footprint is an issue in our 20×30’ workshop and the focus is on canes and small furniture items.

Since I retired and took over my husband’s wood workshop, I don’t do clothes or shoe shopping anymore. Just wood and tools. If you don’t like the holes in my sweatshirt, I’ll gladly turn it around and wear it backwards. Clean and neat to go. Now let’s go make some sawdust!

View Bob, Oregon's profile

Bob, Oregon

90 posts in 1997 days

Thanks for the review and all the comments folks!

I am seriously considering buying this model and all this is very helpful. I bought a lathe (G0658) from them a couple of years ago and it arrived with nary a mark on the box. Maybe because I only live one state away and good ol’ UPS has fewer opportunities to spear things with a forklift… or just plain luck. I dunno’. But so far I am very happy with what Grizzly makes and sells.

-- 73, Bob