I Want A Flat Dependable EZ Router Table and Lift!

Review by Charles Brock posted 04-08-2010 03:01 PM 6502 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
I Want A Flat Dependable EZ Router Table and Lift! I Want A Flat Dependable EZ Router Table and Lift! No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am a woodworker, teacher and publisher of Build A Maloof Inspired Rocker with Charles Brock and Coming Soon, Build A Maloof Inspired Low Back Dining Chair. Each instructional bundle contains a DVD, Book and Full-Size Patterns with Online and Personal Support.

What do I expect out of a router table? As a chairmaker and teacher I want dependabilty and durability and not too many frills with moving parts. This is my list of expectations. The stand and table need to be heavy without being a boat anchor. Weight reduces vibration that can induce chatter in the cut. Because I take my router table with me when I teach a class, sometimes transporting it 100s of miles, the frame needs to be rigid and it has to have good casters. I want the table top and plate to be absolutely flat and I want them to stay that way because I have enough tool set-ups when I get to the class location. I don’t want my router table to need adjustments, too. The fence needs to be easily secured and allow for micro adjustments without too many moving parts. It also has to have great dust control which is important for your health and happiness in the shop. Besides that, I don’t expect much!

The router table is used for two very important operations. I trim or copy the back legs of my Maloof Inspired Rocker and Low Back Dining Chair using a 2” spiral router bit w/top pilot. The other operation is rounding over the inside of each leg at the joint to fit the radius of the seat ’s rabbet. In this case I need a full round over without a bead. The fence helps me round over even though I round past the dados that are cut through the legs. Otherwise, without the fence the pilot could plunge into the rabbet. It’s just a matter of control and this table and fence give me what I need.

The lift is the icing on the cake. The plate is heavy duty milled aluminum. It has a multiple jack screw system that makes it easy to level and machine screws to hold it to the table when you have it just right. It is built for a porter-cable router but there are adapters available for all the popular router motors from Kreg. My Bosch router motor fits tight without any movement. The real reason for the lift is adjustment. This baby comes through in several ways. There is macro adjustment with a rod that locks, unlocks and positions the router horizontally. A thumb wheel makes the micro adjustments easily and it all locks in to prevent slippage. It’s all EeeZeee !

If you need a lot of stops and micro-adjusters for the fence, Kreg has thought of them all including some handy feather boards. If you want the best new thing check out there Beaded Face Frame Kit. I don’t do this kind of work but after talking to people who do this system will add beaded face frame capability to your shop’s router.

This router table and lift meets and exceeds my expectations everyday in my shop!

-- Charles Brock

View Charles Brock's profile

Charles Brock

View Bud1m's profile

Bud1m

#1 posted 04-08-2010 04:33 PM

I have this same table and fence. Did not go for the stand, as I built my own – needed the drawers. Overall I really like the table, it’s very flat and solid. I use the Woodpecker’s lift which is just like the Kreg with the exception of the insert rings – it works very well and extremely accurate.

The fence makes it easy to use the miter gauge.

My only complaint is that it’s easy to forget to lock the knob down on the far side of the fence, have made a few “oops” on a few cuts… but this is my fault.

View Toolz's profile

Toolz

#2 posted 04-08-2010 06:39 PM

I have the same table dedicated for my smaller Triton router. I had to drill an access hole for the Triton lift mechanism and it was a simple job and works great.

-- Larry "Work like a Captain but Play like a Pirate!"

View UncleSnail's profile

UncleSnail

#3 posted 04-12-2010 07:12 AM

I tried different tables and fences and finally decided to make my own. I used an old dresser….slapped some counter top on it and made a fence out of treated 2×6. Been happy with it ever since. I like no frills and simplicity…..works better for me. Uncle Snail

-- Dale, Michigan, vandehberg@att.net....sharp objects scare me.....my wife scares me too.

View Eagle1's profile

Eagle1

2066 posts in 1808 days

#4 posted 04-14-2010 01:38 PM

I made my own. I used a top from Pinnacle, which Woodpeck makes for them. Love the top cost about $200.00 but it’s what I needed good size and stable.

-- Tim, Missouri ....Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the heck happened