Evapo-Rust to the rescue

Review by hjt posted 04-06-2010 09:13 PM 5698 views 2 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Evapo-Rust to the rescue Evapo-Rust to the rescue No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is my first use of this product and am impressed The tools were 12 years + and came from my father’s house in upstate NY. Due to his age and declining health, he had not used them for years by the time I picked them up and brought them to Florida (rust capital of the world – I believe.)

Rust Removal – before photos:

Evapo-Rust to the rescue here are the after photos. I learned about Evapo-Rust from a forum devoted to Radial Arm Saws. I bought it at Harbour Freight for under $20.00. As you can see, it does a GREAT job. While the lable suggest soaking in a bucket, this just wasn’t going to happen. I used a paint brush to apply. I let it sit about an hour and then washed it off. I then reapplied and let it sit about 20 – 30 mins and rinsed again. I did this several times. Once I was satisfied that it was not going to get any better, I applied a thin coating of 5-30 motor oil to the surface and rubbed it in very well. 3 weeks later… no signs of rust returning.

-- Harold

View hjt's profile

View Rick Boyett's profile

Rick Boyett

#1 posted 04-06-2010 09:30 PM

Nice! I’ll have to give that a try the next time I’m trying to restore a hand plane.

View Chase's profile

#2 posted 04-06-2010 09:31 PM

Wow, that looks like a pretty serious product. Thanks for the product review.

-- Every neighborhood has an eccentric neighbor. I wondered for years "who was ours?" Then I realized it was me.

View hotbyte's profile

495 posts in 2067 days

#3 posted 04-06-2010 09:37 PM

Great results!

How much from the gallon did it take to do the tablesaw?

What did you wash/rinse it off with? Water?

View Dennisgrosen's profile

#4 posted 04-06-2010 09:52 PM

great , great rewiew

no fancy speaking
just try it, take pictures
and tell the story
and show the pictures
this time it cuoldn´t
have been done better
becourse picture says more
than thousand words

I will see if we have this product
here in Denmark

thank´s for sharing

View woodcrafter47's profile

#5 posted 04-06-2010 10:24 PM

Now if I use it on my 91 Chev P/up it was be just a set of wheels left’
Great review ,thanks for posting

-- In His service ,Richard

View hjt's profile

#6 posted 04-06-2010 10:35 PM

hotbyte – for everything, I’d guess I used 4 – 6 oz tops! I poured it into a glass jar and brushed it on. By doing so, I could control the usage plus not contaminate the container. I then just wiped it off with water and a rag.

-- Harold

View bigike's profile

#7 posted 04-06-2010 10:44 PM

wow that stuff works good i have to get some.

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop,

#8 posted 04-06-2010 11:58 PM

Thanks for the review…I have a Ridgid jointer awaiting the same fate : )

View cstrang's profile

#9 posted 04-07-2010 03:25 AM

I tried this stuff at a wood show once, as you have shown here its just that good! Thanks for the review.

-- A hammer dangling from a wall will bang and sound like work when the wind blows the right way.

View terry1769's profile

#10 posted 04-07-2010 03:58 AM

I’ve used a good bit of it and it definitely works as reported. Great stuff!

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

#11 posted 04-07-2010 01:32 PM

Nothing like it. Does the job every time and no damage to metal.

View 559dustdesigns's profile

#12 posted 04-08-2010 10:27 AM

Thanks for the review, I’m headed to Auto Zone to get me some of this magic potion first thing tomorrow.

-- Aaron - central California "If you haven't got the time to do it right, when will you find the time to do it over?"

View Jim Crockett (USN Retired)'s profile

Jim Crockett (USN Retired)

#13 posted 04-08-2010 09:10 PM

I have been wanting to get some of this EvapoRust to use on a handplane. Everything I’ve read about it is very positive and it seems to be much easier than hydrolysis. Problem is finding it… I really hate to pay shipping costs on a gallon of liquid! Oh well, guess I’ll just have to bite the bullet and order some.

-- A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including his/her life".

View AngieO's profile

#14 posted 07-12-2013 03:01 PM

I saw the review you posted today (the third review) and this is amazing. Thanks for posting the link.