A good starter Dado Set

Review by IowaWoodcrafter posted 02-24-2008 06:12 AM 7295 views 2 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A good starter Dado Set No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Having never used another dado set I am unable to make any comparisons.

I recently built a mission style bed that required the use of a stacked dado blade set. Being on a tight budget after buying all the quarter sawn white oak I went looking for an inexpensive set. I decided early on that I didn’t want to try my luck with a wobble blade or something from a low cost tool store.

I looked online at several of the well known woodworking stores but couldn’t justify the cost of a big name set at the time. I looked through the Grizzly catalog and came across the H7777 8” Dado set. Besides the price several features attracted me to decide to purchase this dado set.

The H7777 has two 1/8” wide 30 tooth outer blades. The chippers are 5 tooth blades, four 1/8”, one 3/32” and one 1/16”. Also included are a complete set of shims two each of .005”, .010”, .015” and .020” thicknesses.

After receiving the blades I was pleased with the workmanship. The carbide tips seem to be fairly large, although this is subjective. I’ve never owned a blade from the big name manufacturers so I can’t compare the size of the carbide tips to anything else.

When using the blade set to make the bed parts I had good quality cuts. The bottoms were smooth and the corners crisp. I cut 3/4” grooves into 1 1/4” wide boards. The plan for the bed I made used something called spindle spacers which were 3/4” by 3/4”. The spacers fit nice and snug in the dado and set in with just a little manual pressure.

I used the blades for a second project creating business card holders. From 3/4” thick stock I cut 2” wide strips of wood. I then cut a dado 3/8” deep leaving about 3/16” on both edges of the stock. I noticed that the bottoms of these cuts were not as smooth as those when making the bed. I don’t believe this was from the blade but had more to do with the wood bowing while pressing down on it with push pads, (the type used when jointing). I just purchased anti-kick back rollers for my table saw which will make this type of operation safer and should preven the wood from warping.

This dado set costs $49 plus shipping. If you are looking for an inexpensive set of dado blades I don’t feel you can go wrong with the H7777 from Grizzly. The reason I gave this set only 4 stars is because I haven’t used anything else.

-- Owen Johnson - aka IowaWoodcrafter

View IowaWoodcrafter's profile

IowaWoodcrafter

View juniorjock's profile

juniorjock

1930 posts in 2421 days

#1 posted 02-24-2008 03:08 PM

Thanks for the review. I’ve been thinking about updating my current dado set and like you, I’ve been looking at the high dollar blades and just can’t see spending that much on something like that. As far as I’m concerned, you can’t go wrong with Grizzly products. I purchased a $200 table saw about a year and a half ago (I won’t mention the brand) and it was terrible. Finally I decided it wasn’t safe to operate and broke down and bought a Grizzly G0575 model. I love it. I will be writing a review about it soon….... I’ll be ordering the Grizzly dado set. Thanks again.

View RickM's profile

RickM

#2 posted 02-25-2008 10:01 AM

Thanks for the review I have a Craftsman woobler and while it cuts nice sharp shoulders it is only a seven inch and a wobbler therfore it leaves a very pronounced arch in all the dadoes. I also have a Mibre 8” I know nothing of the company but it was carried by Lowes, I know should have seen it coming, and it is never right I set it for a 3/4 and it’s 11/16 or worse pluse the bottom of the cut looks like I nibbled it away with a combo blade I will definately be looking into the Grizzly

-- RickM

View juniorjock's profile

juniorjock

1930 posts in 2421 days

#3 posted 02-25-2008 01:41 PM

I have the same set Rick. I’ve never been satisified with it. Seems like every time I install it, the cut is different. It cuts really bad joints.

View DaveH's profile

DaveH

#4 posted 02-26-2008 09:44 AM

I own the same dado set from Grizzly and think it does a great job. I get clean edges and flat bottoms even on plywood. I used a Craftsman wobbler for years and was always disappointed with the cut quality. The Craftsman was just about unusable for cutting a dado across the grain.

-- DaveH - Boise, Idaho - “How hard can it be? It's only wood!”