Deulen Planer Sharpener

Review by Robert Cole posted 1607 days ago 4877 views 4 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Deulen Planer Sharpener Deulen Planer Sharpener Deulen Planer Sharpener Click the pictures to enlarge them

Due to the length of planer knives you need to purchase two of the above knife holders to properly hold and sharpen planer knives. I have only used them once and they worked very well and quickly put a very sharp edge on my knives.

I purchased the knife holders on EBay. The item number is 250557952917. Dan Deulen is the inventor/manufacturer of the holders and he can be contacted at telephone number 360-601-1744 or at 11311 NE Stutz Road, Vancouver, WA 98685. It is my opinion that he is a very honest person. I encourage you to talk to him.

As a side note, I have purchased some regular veneers as well as some pre-cut veneer for making table tops. He has a huge antique paper cutter and is willing to custom cut veneers for you at a nominal cost.

Back to the knife holders….. The knives are held in position by stainless steel plates and anchored with brass set screws. The wood is high quality rosewood. The first photograph shows a holder from an end view with two knives in it. The second photograph shows two holders from a side view with two planer knives in them. The third photograph shows a holder with two knives in it setting on a glass plate covered with sandpaper.

The angles of the holder are set perfectly for joiner knives and stropping the knives on progressively finer sandpaper quickly hones the knives to a keen edge.

It sure beats a long drive somewhere or the US Postal Service’s snail mail plus time and money for someone else to sharpen your knives. There is only one person to blame for a slow turn-around time.

In closing I need to say that this is a high quality item that should pay for itself in in a year or two and end the turn around time aggravation. Finally, I have no personal or financial interest in this product and I am very pleased that I own two holders.

-- Bob, Ohio, http://www.woodworkercornish.com

View Robert Cole's profile

Robert Cole

View Chris 's profile

Chris

Very interesting… I like the idea. I wonder if they could hold onto the disposable or quick change plane & jointer knives?

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

Nice review!!! Thanks for posting!
I looked on eBay and he does not have any listed now.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View bigike's profile

bigike

4031 posts in 1923 days

I have these under my watch list, thanks for the review now i know i can get them with no hesitation.

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop, http://www.icombadaniels@yahoo.com

View skeeter's profile

skeeter

233 posts in 1975 days

Uh oh I see another trend! Just like the bridge city dado gauge that everyone was doing a couple months ago. I could make that thing in a hurry. Sorry mr inventor.

-- My philosophy: Somewhere between Norm and Roy

View ColonelK0rn's profile

ColonelK0rn

Skeeter’s response made me LOL.

-- Common sense is not common practice.

View Swede's profile

Swede

Looks like a great product for a do it your self person. Be carefull not to put any big nicks in your blades or you will be a Loooooooooong time re-sharpening them.

-- Swede -- time to make some sawdust

View Deulen's profile

Deulen

The New! “Deulen Jointer/Planer Knife Sharpener” is now available worldwide (Deulen Tools). It’s available in six inch length for 3”- 8” knives and, now by popular demand it is now available in twelve inch as well for 8”-15” knives. Or you can put two together for longer knives. Using P S A sandpaper over plate glass or granite you can sharpen your knives faster than you can drive them to your sharpening center and, save on the Gas and time (Green). It’s going to be featured at the 2010 International Woodworking Fair in Atlanta Georgia August 25-29.

-- Daniel M Deulen

Deulen, I certainly like the idea of your beautiful tool but it is on the expensive side for me.
Would it be possible for you to make an economy version of it, out a a less expensive materiel (aluminum)?
Thank you.
Bert

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

Daniel, do you have a link for sales?

View TimL's profile

TimL

Here is the link to for sales.

I am going to have to get one of these to hone my new knives and touch up my old ones.

View DouginVa's profile

DouginVa

@ Chris: Yes, it will hold the narrower disposable blades. I just bought the 12” jig at a woodworking show and have used it on my Delta 12 1/2” planer blades.

But my concern is at what point do these disposable blades become too narrow due to loss of steel from re-sharpening. I don’t that Delta publishes minimum width specs on these blades. I do knw that they recommend just replacing them. That could just be a marketing plot or a safety issue because the knives are very narrow to begin with.

-- Just a man with his chisel.........