Digital Copies of Wood Magazine

Review by Karson posted 04-04-2010 04:36 AM 5088 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Digital Copies of Wood Magazine No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought the Wood Magazine digital archives, which contains all issued from 1 to 195. Years 1984 to Dec/Jan 2009/2010.

It’s very easy to use. It’s made to be run from the DVD, but in doing so it has a speed problem. DVD drives are not as fast as hard drives.

I copied it to my hard drive making a folder called “Wood Magazine” and copied all of the data from the DVD to this folder. It’s around 7 GTB of data and it ran fine. No problems. So that improved the speed problem

It’s easy to use, But it does not have a search which allows you to search for any particular word or words and to find it in the magazines.

You can search the index for lathe and it will show you the issues that have Lathe in the title, but it won’t give you those articles which refer to lathe in the article.

I pulled up an issue and searched for lathe and it worked its way through the issue giving you every occurrence of lathe (even advertising),

In this siearino the Fine Woodworking search in their DVD is more robust.

All of the issues are a PDF file and they are viewed with Adobe Reader or a similar product.

It is possible to print any page or pages that you desire, but be careful when you hit the print key the default is the entire issue.

The DVD contains around 7GB of data which would mean to me that it is a double layer DVD. I don’t know if this DVD will be playable in older DVD drives on your computer. It would be possible to copy it to two DVDs on another computer and then combine it on your Hard Drive. My computer which is new had no problem reading the DVD disc.

I gave it a 4 star rating because of not having a full search of all of the content of all issues.

The index had double columns with about 100 articles per page.

There were: 15 Pages of projects, 14 1/2 pages of Shop Tips, 12 1/2 pages of Techniques and features – about 162 wood species were a part of that section from Ailanthas to Yew. Ailanthas is the species of wood that is referred to in the book and movie of “A Tree Grows in Brooklyn” and 5 pages of tools.

The magazines are complete with all of the advertising and showing you if you bought your tools in 1985 they would cost less than if you bought them today.

Moving around the issue and from page to page is all done within Adobe Reader. You can change the display for those of us with vision deficiencies that you can make the type and pictures bigger. It normally comes up in a two page view as if you were looking at an open magazine. That can be changed with a click of a button and browse in single page mode.

The Fine Woodworking Magazine and the Wood Magazine archives are different, but the magazines themselves are different, so it is impossible to say which one would I recommend.

The Fine Woodworking archives is easier to use and allows searching through all issues and I see that as a deficiency in the wood magazine archives.

The price is $149.95

View bigike's profile

bigike

4032 posts in 1979 days

#1 posted 04-04-2010 04:47 AM

great review, if you ever want to get rid of the dvd let me know or is there a way to send it in an email or what ever please keep me in mind?

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop, http://www.icombadaniels@yahoo.com

#2 posted 04-04-2010 04:55 AM

Ike: It’s too large to email. The physical DVD would have to be sent via a delivery service. UPS, USPS etc.

View patron's profile

patron

13103 posts in 2031 days

#3 posted 04-04-2010 05:05 AM

i know the FW disk is $150.00 ,
how much for this one ?

nice review , Karson .

have a great Easter sunday .

edit , just saw it .

#4 posted 04-04-2010 05:14 AM

Hey Karson
I have The FWW archives and it is very easily searched as you said . I feel that’s the reason I purchased the FWW archive because I already own all the issues Of FWW and I also own a full collection of wood. I’ve thought of buying the new Wood version. But now I think I’ll wait until they fix the way their search works.
Thanks a lot for your review karson.

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#5 posted 04-04-2010 05:42 AM

Good review karson. thx,

View lew's profile

lew

#6 posted 04-04-2010 02:13 PM

Looks like you have quite a bit of reading in your future!!

Thanks for the review, Karson.

Lew

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Eagle1's profile

Eagle1

2066 posts in 1755 days

#7 posted 04-04-2010 03:12 PM

If the dvd isn’t running fast enough. You might need a faster dvd player in the computer, or there is something running the backgound eating up all of your resourses.

-- Tim, Missouri ....Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the heck happened

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

#8 posted 04-04-2010 03:23 PM

thank´s for a very fine rewiew
and I think it´s great they now
put all the old issues on DVDs
from the different magazines
for us newbees and speceile
from other countrys than USA
it´s a lot easyer to get those
magazines

Dennis

View Derek Lyons's profile

Derek Lyons

#9 posted 04-04-2010 05:44 PM

Nice review, but for me not being able to do a full search would one star it at best – isn’t that the point of these collections?

-- Derek, Bremerton WA --

#10 posted 04-05-2010 01:10 AM

Eagle!:

Most of the issues are about 40 Meg in size and since they are all pdf files and you are reading them with Adobe Reader. It’s just slow getting that data from the dvd drive especially when it has to do a seak for the data.

The hard drive is a 1.5TB Seagate and it is faster than the DVD. I’ve got a 4 cpu processor computer and the latest DVD drive so I don’t think that’s my problem.

Derek: you may be right on the rating. Having the data is only one part of the process. Being able to find it fast is another part.

View SouthpawCA's profile

SouthpawCA

254 posts in 1923 days

#11 posted 04-05-2010 05:39 AM

My wife bought the whole 5 DVD collection for me for Christmas. I love it (and her). When I want to find something in particular I bring up woodmagazine.com and do the search. It provides me with the particular DVD and then I look at the DVD. It would have been nice to have a search feature like that, however, it would have been a static search referencing just the DVDs you have. Any new/updated information would not have been available. I believe, since they came out with the 5 DVD set, they have upgraded it to 1 DVD. But I’m happy with mine.

Having retired 3 years ago, I vowed a number of thing to myself – one of which is to never be rushed again. Another is to never wear a watch. The time it takes to look something up allows my subconscious to work things out – or not. I just enjoy the time.

-- Don

View Swede's profile

Swede

#12 posted 04-05-2010 05:00 PM

Maybe they will work out the bugs but that is a lot of money right now.

-- Swede -- time to make some sawdust

View ericandcandi's profile

ericandcandi

#13 posted 04-06-2010 05:39 AM

Can I rent it from you for $$. I would just need it for one day and I will mail it back.

-- ericandcandi in Louisiana- Home of the "LSU Tigers"