Best kept cleaning secret

Review by Routerisstillmyname posted 1573 days ago 2420 views 0 times favorited 24 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Best kept cleaning secret Best kept cleaning secret No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Stop wasting your money on those so-called cleaners that require you to mortgage your tools just to get few ounces of water and soap in a fancy package.

EASY-OFF has been around a long time with a proven track record.
It comes in several different skin removing flavors and I guarantee you’ll be amazed at the results.
It’ll make your saw blades; router bits, forstner bits and anything that can’t be recognized anymore look like it’s brand new.
Oh yeah, make sure you wear gloves.

View Dyidawg's profile

Dyidawg

Sounds good…...maybe my wife could help me out with this.

-- Wow, that was easy. Just follow the directions and use some common sense.

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

At least one blade manufacturer—Freud—specifically recommends AGAINST using oven cleaner to clean table saw blades. IIRC, it slowly breaks down the brazing, leaving the carbide tips vulnerable to flying off—an unqualified Bad Thing.

I’ll stick with WD40, simple green, citrus degreaser, Lestoil, or … almost anything else.

My $0.02.

YMMV…..

-- -- Neil

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

1389 posts in 2062 days

i used a short soak in hot water followed by barkeepers friend with nylon bristle brush and it got my gunked up junker looking good as new.

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

1389 posts in 2062 days

ie, the less skin removed the better! a general goal in woodworking and life :-)

View Tim_456's profile

Tim_456

I used easy off once and it worked great, until I read about it breaking down the brazing and sending the carbide tips flying like shrapnel. I’ve since moved to simple green which works just as good enough;)

Beener’s right, you probably want to avoid this. I don’t have any data (such as shrapnel in my head) to back up that claim, but I prefer to be safer than sorry;)

Routerisstillmyname

NBeener, That’s good to know. thanks for the warning. what a shame.
Oh well, back to hot water and soap and nylon bristle brush and wd40.

Routerisstillmyname

I’ve heard bad things about simple green.

View bigike's profile

bigike

sounds good but do u have proof like pics of before and after?

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop, http://www.icombadaniels@yahoo.com

Routerisstillmyname

proof like pics of before and after?

Before and after cleaning pics or carbide tip flying off ?

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

A little more info ….

Simple Green—with a quick soak, scrub, and rinse, seems pretty darned okay.

I would recommend against long-term (let’s say …. overnight, to be safe) soaking of blades in almost anything that might clean it.

Simple Green has a bit more info, here

Some have even recommended that you go right past the original Simple Green, and—instead—use their Extreme Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner, but … not only have I never SEEN the stuff … I’m just not going to bother ;-)

I soak for a few minutes, in a dilute mixture of the original SG, and then scrub with a nylon or brass-bristle brush.

Works fine.

More info … INCLUDING word FROM the horse’s (Freud rep) mouth … here

-- -- Neil

Routerisstillmyname

Well, if it’s not safe on saw blades and router bits, It’s safe for table saw cleaning.

View poopiekat's profile

poopiekat

Easy-Off is just lye, isn’t it?

View Jim Bertelson's profile (online now)

Jim Bertelson

All
The final word by the Freud rep was soak in kerosene, and scrub with a plastic bristle brush. I think the closest thing I have to kerosene is WD40. Haven’t I heard that mineral spirits would do the trick too?

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

Routerisstillmyname

lye is used in oven cleaner and drain openers..So I cant’ use this for cleaning table saw either? I give up ;-(

Routerisstillmyname

Ok, who and where is this Freud rep everyone’s talking about. did they spray the saw blade and leave it set there over a month or something..heck, that would dissolve anything let alone brazing.