RIKON Customer Service - Thumbs Up

Review by DaveMiller posted 1565 days ago 3542 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
RIKON Customer Service - Thumbs Up No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have owned a RIKON Mini Lathe for about 3 years and have never had one problem with it. Through misuse/abuse on my part, a couple of parts needed to be replaced. I called RIKON customer service and was greeted very professionally by Dan. I told him I needed to order a few parts and he offerred to transfer me to the parts department which he did. After just a few seconds, Dan came back on and told me that all the parts guys were on the phone and he offerred to take my order. He was able to verify that each part was in stock and told me they would be shipped today.

I have had a wide range of experiences with various customer service reps ranging from very good to downright nasty. RIKON Customer Service ranks at the top!

View DaveMiller's profile

DaveMiller

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

I’ll second that! I met them all in person, and they are a fantastic group of people, bar none.

when I’m ready for a lathe, I already know which one I’m getting, and it’ll be a Rikon.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

1389 posts in 2051 days

glad to hear of your experience. but tell that to the guy with the bandsaw! :-)

View Swede's profile

Swede

AaronK: Isn’t he the guy that keep getting the wrong parts.

-- Swede -- time to make some sawdust

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

1389 posts in 2051 days

yeah… the screwed up fence.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

I keep hearing good things about Rikon, but I don’t have a single Rikon tool in my shop (yet).

By the way – I consider the customer service at Grizzly to be exceptionally good also.

View RichardH's profile

RichardH

I’ve been using this same lathe for around 2 years. Had a motor starter capacitor go out but just replaced it myself. It has some limitations, but for the money has produced a ton of turnings for me and keeps on doing its thing. Ready for a bigger machine, but no regrets about this guy.

-- "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it...It's the hard that makes it great."

View jBeamer's profile

jBeamer

I have the same Rikon lathe and have had nothing but the best customer support. One time I was trying to get 1/4” more lenght out of the tail stock and broke the locking bold. After I told the rep my story they offered to send me the bold and would not take any payment.

It doesn’t get any better than that.

View tyskkvinna's profile

tyskkvinna

How is this lathe, aside from the customer service? :) I’m little lathe shopping and this one caught my eye today.

-- Lis - Michigan - http://www.missmooseart.com - https://www.etsy.com/people/lisbokt

View DaveMiller's profile

DaveMiller

Lis, As I said I have not had one problem with it. Yeah, I would love to have a larger lathe with many of the newer features but for the price this one is definitely a keeper.

View leon2's profile

leon2

I have owned a Rikon 70-100 for over a year. I do like the lathe and have made some fun things with it but it does have some issues. The first issue was the spindle – tailstock alignment. I could see the miss alignment. I tried several things and eventually removed the headstock. I expected to see machining marks. It looked more like sanding marks. I am a prototype machinist and know what machining marks look like. I took a very fine file and carefully filed the side that needed to brought into alignment. Then I used an 0.011 shim on the opposite side to hold the headstock in the correct position. Two weeks ago the spindle locking device stopped working. When I checked the part description it is held in place with a 6mm set screw. So I went and bought some 6mm machine screws. The standard pitch on a 6mm machine screw is 1mm. Evidently the pitch on the set screw is 0.75mm. Try buying one and good luck. I can buy a box of them online at McMaster-Carr for about $10 plus shipping. I will be checking with Rikon parts department on Monday. Beyond that it is a set screw that sets against nothing and there is a lot of force placed against it when you take a chuck off the lathe. My guess is that this will be a continuing problem.

111999 posts in 2164 days

It’s great to hear good customer service stories thanks for the review.