Keeping the shop cleaner

Review by brianl posted 03-27-2010 04:06 PM 2927 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Keeping the shop cleaner Keeping the shop cleaner Keeping the shop cleaner Click the pictures to enlarge them

In February I finally got a table saw. It’s used and fairly old, but it was free, so I can’t complain too much. It didn’t come with a stand or with any sort of dust collection mechanism. After tuning it up and running some plywood through it I was amazed at how much dust was kicked up. I decided that I needed to get a bag or something to help. I searched around and found the Keen Product's DustCutter on Amazon.

Once orderded, it was shipped very quickly and arrived quickly as well. It came with a length of hook and loop tape, the bag, and the instructions. Upon initial inspection, the bag appears to be very well made and fairly sturdy.

To install it I took my saw off the stand, vacuumed up as much dust as possible, and then lightly sanded the surfaces where I would be applying the tape. I then wiped down the surfaces with mineral spirits to make sure it was clean. Then it was just a simple matter of applying the hook and loop tape, the bag, and remounting the saw in the stand.

With just the bag I’d estimate that I have seen about a 70% reduction in sawdust. When I hook up my shopvac to the vacuum port I’d say it jumps to about 90%. Overall I am very pleased with it. I’m only giving it 4 stars because compared to other bags it is kind of pricey. If it was made in America I wouldn’t mind the price, but it was made in Asia just like most other bags you see online. I would recommend it to others who need a quality dust collection bag for their table saw.

-- Brian - Belmont, Massachusetts

View brianl's profile

brianl

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

2570 posts in 2056 days

#1 posted 03-27-2010 11:43 PM

Yep, those bags beat the heck out of having to deal with cleaning everything up.

View mmh's profile

mmh

#2 posted 03-29-2010 05:11 AM

Looks interesting. I currently have a tall plastic bin from Targett’ that is tall enough to collect the dust from the table saw. It’s not sealed or leak proof but I’ve noticed a lot less sawdust on the floor and more in the bin. The lid is used as a back board that seems to help too.

-- "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

View GregD's profile

GregD

#3 posted 03-29-2010 05:57 PM

Those with motors that hang out the back might also want to have a look at this:
It seems simple and inexpensive, but I wonder how it works.

-- Greg D.

View Jim K's profile

Jim K

#4 posted 03-30-2010 02:20 PM

Good review. I have one of these too. It does help But use hearing protection without it the noise from the shop vac and the saw is to loud.