Norton Waterstones Package

Review by michaelray posted 03-25-2010 06:19 AM 5007 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Norton Waterstones Package No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought a set of Norton Waterstones recently that I’m pretty happy with. I’ve posted a short review on my personal blog. Well worth the money in my opinion.

—thanks for looking.

-- http://dbcww.wordpress.com

View michaelray's profile

michaelray

View Sawdust4Blood's profile

Sawdust4Blood

#1 posted 03-25-2010 12:49 PM

I got hooked on waterstones a few years back when I was stationed in Japan (they’re cheaper and more common there). Combined with the Veritas MkII honing guide brought me to a level of sharpness on my chisels and plane blades that I never knew possible before.

-- Greg, Severn MD

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

2240 posts in 1924 days

#2 posted 03-25-2010 06:17 PM

I have a set of excellent Japanese waterstones that I use on my knives. I use diamond stones on pretty much everything else as the newer harder steels require a lot more work on a water stone then a diamond stone (Diamonds are more expensive, can be washed off with water or what have you. Water stones are a bit more picky…and you need to make sure to flatten/level them if you are not careful and create ridges or dips… the water stone does make a much cleaner edge but with a lot more work). Thanks for the review and I will certainly look into Norton when I need to replace any of my water stones.

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

View GregD's profile

GregD

#3 posted 03-25-2010 07:52 PM

I recently got a set of 4 single-grit Norton stones, flattening stone, and the same Veritas honing guide. I imagine these dual-grit stones work just as well. I was a bit intimidated by the sharpening process before I tried it, but it did not take much practice with this setup before getting great results with only a little time and attention. What I like is that it takes only a little bit of time on each grit, 20 strokes or less, to end up with a sharp edge after the 8000 grit stone, and with the 220 grit stone that is true even if the initial filing or grinding isn’t so great. I flatten each stone after using it for 1 edge, and that only takes about 30 seconds. During my first session I was careless and let the skin of my fat finger tips spill off the steel onto the stone and ended up honing through my skin on two of my fingers – they were very sensitive for a good week or so. I won’t do that again.

-- Greg D.

View michaelray's profile

michaelray

#4 posted 03-25-2010 10:33 PM

reggiek – I looked at diamond stones but as you said they are expensive.

GregD – Ouch! That makes my fingers hurt just thinking about it.

-- http://dbcww.wordpress.com

View Marc5's profile

Marc5

304 posts in 1996 days

#5 posted 03-26-2010 03:49 AM

I have been using these stones for 2 or 3 years and the only complaint I have is the mess resulting from soaking the stones in water (except the 8000 grit). Getting past this I am very satisfied with the results achieved. Several of my tools are A2 tool steel and as long as the blades are hollow ground I end up with a razor edge in a minute or two.

I thought about upgrading to glass stones to get away from the mess but I do not believe the end result justifies the cost.

-- Marc

#6 posted 03-28-2010 02:07 PM

I used these stones.
I liked them but I have switched to sand paper on my granite table saw top.
I find it easier, faster, cheaper and not so messy.
I also believe that you can obtain a better polishing with sand paper as you can easily purchase extremely fine grit ( 0.23 micron) for a fraction of the price of a waters stone and to do not have to constantly flatten it.