Basic, reliable workhorse, lacking finer features, but well worth the money.

Review by dbhost posted 1570 days ago 3557 views 0 times favorited 34 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Basic, reliable workhorse, lacking finer features, but well worth the money. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

A quick rundown of the Central Pneumatic 97526 23ga pnuematic pin nailer. For starters, this IS a Harbor Freight tool. And like most Harbor Freight stuff, it is lacking many of the more refined features of more expensive tools. But at a price of $22.99 minus a 20% coupon discount, you can walk into your shop with one of these, and a fatter wallet to boot!

Air consumption was reasonable as my little 2 HP 8 gallon compressor (Central Pneumatic 95386 easily able to keep up with the air demand of this nailer. Nail placement was fast, reliable, full and accurate. No jams, no misfires. Simply follow the directions and you are good to go.

I have 2 complaints with this nailer which is why I give it 4 stars. Those complaints are…

#2. Changing pin sizes. I stored my pinner with 1” pins. When I went to change pins out, I slipped the 5/8” pins in, then tried to change the depth setting. It doesn’t work that way. I had to remove the 5/8” pins, reinsert the 1” pins, attach the air, fire a pin, detach the air, remove the 1” pins, set the depth to 5/8”, then insert the 5/8” pins… While this was my stupidity, it was not obvious on the tool that the depth should be set prior to inserting the pins, nor is it obvious in the manual. Or if it is, I must have missed it…

Fit and finish on this pin nailer are actually quite good, with the exception of the labeling, which appears to be an afterthought. And while this nailer did not come with any sort of case, at this price point, expecting a case is a bit much.

While this is not exactly a perfect tool, I can see why this pin nailer is frequently seen on the Harbor Freight Gems lists on various web sites.

If you are in need of a good, basic pinner, and can operate safely without the safety lockout, then this is a great way to go.

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

”#1. No safety guard. You don’t need to push the safety in on the workpiece to fire the nailer. Not a huge deal, but can be painful if operated stupidly. I’m not sure the same type safety that is on the brad nailers, finish nailers, or framing nailers is going to function all that well with a pinner, but no biggie. I can cope.”

There is something wrong with your tool and is it very hazardous to use in this condition.
I have the same tool and it does not fire unless the safety is depressed.
I saw once some one shooting himself with a framing gun, this was neither fun nor pretty.

Repair it or get rid of this gun immediately!

View chewbuddy13's profile

chewbuddy13

I have the same gun and it did not come with a safety guard. b2rtch, it might be something that is a new design feature, I got mine about 6 months ago, how old is the one you have?

View Chase's profile

Chase

I guess I have been under a rock, because I hadn’t heard about pin nailers till here recently. The moire I read about them the more i like. Going to have to see if my local HF carries one of these bad boys. After all, if I don’t like it, it wasnt that expensive. Thank you for the review!

-- Every neighborhood has an eccentric neighbor. I wondered for years "who was ours?" Then I realized it was me.

I got mine probably 2 years ago or more.

I paid mine $17.99 on sale I also have the framing gun , that i paid $79.99 on sale equally happy with it.
And I also have the roofing nailer

View Tom8021's profile

Tom8021

Mine doesn’t have the safety either. Noticed that my model is 97525 bought about 1 year ago. LOVE it by the way. It works much better than my other brad nailers.

Mine looks different from the one on the picture. It has a trigger right on front for the safety.

b2rtch, This gun does not appear to even have a work piece depress safety. This simply does not appear to be a feature it is designed with. Mine is now 2 weeks old though.

I agree on the safety features being important, particularly with framing, roofing, or brad nailers, I would like to see this with a safety, and if they introduce / re-introduce one with a reliable safety interlock, I will swap it out.

I am familiar with firearms safety practices, and treat this gun very much like a handgun. Whatever I do not want to hit with the projectile does not go in front of the projectile path plain and simple.

Chase, I guess yo haven’t been infected by Norm Abram. I first heard of pin nailers on The New Yankee Workshop. The pins disappear into a finished piece really easily… And are a great way to hold a piece together while a glue up dries. Particularly irregular pieces such as routed trim…

From http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?p=312388

LinuxRandal
While the pin nailer holes should just about be identical, you helped me catch a difference.
The SAFETY location.
On the 95882, there is the safety under the trigger. You move that and your ready to fire.
On the 93656, there is a safety at the tip, that must be depressed to fire like on a normal pneumatic nailer. So in this case, while it might leave an indentation in your work, if you have kids that get into the shop, it might be safer to have the 93656, so you don’t have a Lethal Weapon moment (tiny flying projectiles, one per trigger pull).

Seems interesting to me, that the 95882 is a later model based on the copyright date of the manuals, with this type of trigger.

I knew I had a safety on mine!

I am going to have to look for that trigger safety on mine.

View David Craig's profile

David Craig

I bought this same nailer a couple months ago. It isn’t a bad running unit. I did have a couple issues that I had to deal with.

2. The gun has a marring tip on it. It will leave indentations when pushed against the surface of the wood. I dipped the tip in plasti dip about 4 times, letting it dry between coats. After drying, I shot a pin into a board and now it has a non-marring tip.

It does work pretty well. The gun has a trigger lock, but does not have any safety trigger features. Treat it like a loaded pistol.

Good review,

David

-- There is little that is simple when it comes to making a simple box.

” 1. The slider for the nail size wouldn’t work. I could have taken it back but would not have been worth the drive. Instead, I took it apart, find the slider bar had caked on grime. I cleaned it, lubricated it, and has worked fine since.”

I drop a few drops of fine machine oil in mine before using it, and it works like a champ.
I also use air tool oil in the gun itself.

I like the plasti dip idea… Good, well.. uh.. tip…

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

I don’t think any of the 23 gauge pinners have a safety device like you see on bigger nailers. Mine (a Porter Cable) has a second trigger. You have to press and hold the second trigger and then fire the main trigger. I think that is how most of these pinners incorporate a safety element.

View Raymond's profile

Raymond

I have the same gun and the only safety feature is the trigger block. I think it’s a great nailer. The price of the nails can’t be beat at HF either. At Menards a 1000 23 gage pin nails were like $8.00 I think I paid like 3 at HF the last time I was there.

-- Ray