Fast, Light, Durable Framing Saw

Review by TheDane posted 03-23-2010 02:05 AM 3692 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Fast, Light, Durable Framing Saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

2 years ago, I built a new 2nd floor deck with ‘picture framed’ outside deck boards, which requires cutting a number of 45-degree miters.

I got frustrated with my old circular saw, so off to the big box I went. I came home with a Ridgid Fuego Compact Framing Saw, and couldn’t be happier.

This saw is light-weight (only weighs 8 pounds), and tough … the shoe is composite, and the guard is magnesium.

The depth and bevel settings are easy and accurate, and the shoe has both fore and aft kerf markings that make cutting a straight line without fish-tailing and without the use of cutting guides possible.

When you add the lifetime warrantee, the heavy duty bag and the lighted, 12-foot power cord, this turned out to be one of my best tool-buying decisions.

Here are the vital stats:

—0-50° Bevel capacity with 45° positive stop – quick release design for fast bevel adjustments; capable of cutting finished 2x material at 45° in a single pass

—18 tooth thin kerf carbide tipped blade – for smooth cross and rip cuts as well as longer life

—Composite shoe – high strength composite shoe designed to withstand up to a 1 story drop

—Integrated F.A.S.T.™ dust blower – helps to clear cut line for improved accuracy

View TungOilTim's profile

TungOilTim

83 posts in 1940 days

#1 posted 03-23-2010 04:46 AM

I love Ridgid tools. Thanks for the review, when I need one, I’ll be sure to look at this one.

-- Tim, Plant City FL

View PineInTheAsh's profile

PineInTheAsh

401 posts in 1992 days

#2 posted 03-23-2010 01:19 PM

Wow! at $19.99 gonna buy three at my HD and sell two on on eb an CL

This is so easy.

#3 posted 03-23-2010 01:56 PM

I don’t know where you came up with $19.99 ??? Even factory refurbs cost right at $100.

If you can find them for $19.99 go for it.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#4 posted 03-23-2010 05:22 PM

Sure wish I could buy Ridgid at some place other than HD. Our local HD is a disaster. I just don’t go there. Lowes and even Menards are vastly superior stores in this area. I realize that is not universally true.

View kcrandy's profile

kcrandy

#5 posted 03-24-2010 03:32 AM

For richgreer,

Go to that lousy HD and buy the cheapest thing you can so you can get the sales slip that invites you to report on your experience via computer and rip ‘em! Tell them just why you hate that store. I did that for about a year here in KC and I hope other people did, too, because, wow, have they changed! They can get better if they want to and you have to help them want to.

As to Ridgid tools, I’m just using my first Ridgid tool, circular sander, and love it.

-- Caulk and paint are a poor carpenter's best friends

View 308Gap's profile

308Gap

#6 posted 03-25-2010 06:15 AM

rich greer try this http://www.cpoprotools.com/products/zrr3203.html

-- Thank You Veterans!

View David Craig's profile

David Craig

#7 posted 03-25-2010 03:46 PM

Only bad thing about CPO is that the tools are refurbished and utilize their own warranty rather than the Ridgid lifetime service agreement. I have bought some bosch items from CPO before and was happy with the tools. But a ten dollar savings for refurbed, rather than new, plus the more limited warranty I would not think worth it.

Great review and I do believe this will be added to my tool collection pretty soon. I have been needing a good circular saw and this one definitely looks like a winner.

David

-- There is little that is simple when it comes to making a simple box.

View BigG's profile

BigG

#8 posted 04-04-2010 06:50 PM

Yes, this saw is a winner! I got one a couple years ago when I tore my shoulder in two places and need the lighter weight of this saw. Plus I have not found an instance where I ever need more than a 61/2 inch saw.

-- Big G

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#9 posted 05-21-2010 01:27 AM

Great saw I may upgrade my Skil saw to a Rigid framing saw.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

#10 posted 05-21-2010 03:45 AM

My old circular saw (a Skil) hasn’t seen the light of day since the Fuego arrived!

#11 posted 05-26-2010 05:38 PM

Thanks for the review I like Ridgid tools too.

View Retrowood's profile

Retrowood

#12 posted 11-07-2011 02:49 AM

I also purchased this saw originally for doing a roof for my brother and felt it was a great piece of equipment. Since then this is my go-to saw w/ a Clamp straight edge system for cutting down ply panels. Very smooth, light and accurate. Since I bought mine price has been lowered, it’s a even better bargain now.

-- Retrowood